Grasu's Future...

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree that Whitehair is our best offensive lineman; I just think moving Whitehair to Tackle because "we shouldn't have our best lineman at Center" is not a great way to look at things. Bears fans of all people should know that you can't just move offensive linemen out of position and expect it to work out. We've played this game repeatedly over the past decade.
I get what your laying down but Cody was never brought here to be a C. And after only one year at that position he is far from locked in at one position. The reason he is good is talent and heart, not position.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I do want to put players at one position and not move them overall. Continuity is everything. I would be fine if Cody stays at C. But if Grasu came on strong I might consider the move a good thing.

baredown

Liked Posts:
So, if the Bears only keep eight offensive lineman this year, it may lead to Grasu’s demise. [/url]

Huh? Not quite sure what the logic flow is supposed to be here. If the Bears were to keep only eight OLmen, why wouldn't they keep Grasu if he's one of their best eight OLmen? Roster building is about assembling talent, depth, and flexibility. You keep your best OLmen; its as simple as that. Hell, Whitehair could always get hurt too.

I'm not saying Grasu will end up being one of their best eight OLmen; that's a separate issue. But if he is, it would be pretty nonsensical to get rid of him simply because Whitehair looks entrenched as the starting C.

That text reads like idle speculation, poorly thought out, by some guy who has to come up with something to write for a deadline...

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I get what your laying down but Cody was never brought here to be a C. And after only one year at that position he is far from locked in at one position. The reason he is good is talent and heart, not position.

True, but wasn't he a Guard in college? Maybe I'm totally off here.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Move Cody to LT. Sure yell at me I don't care, we don't need our best Olineman at C. Grasu can handle C. I don't care if Codys arms are a half inch short, the guy can ball and handle any position. Yes he was good at C, he will be good at any position.

Yeah good idea let's reshufflea top five OL around for the sake of two guys who didn't start last year, BRILLIANT!

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody knows if Whitehair is good a Guard as he was at Center and we also don't know if Whitehair will be healthy all 16 games.

What we do know is Sitton is on his last leg and is unlikely to play 16 games and we also know Long is banged up.

Would be foolish to cut Grasu because he is young and cheap and he was good enough in their eyes to be the starter last year before getting the ACL.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Nobody knows if Whitehair is good a Guard as he was at Center and we also don't know if Whitehair will be healthy all 16 games.

What we do know is Sitton is on his last leg and is unlikely to play 16 games and we also know Long is banged up.

Would be foolish to cut Grasu because he is young and cheap and he was good enough in their eyes to be the starter last year before getting the ACL.

It's a good problem to start to have. Having competition on the interior is a good start. Now when they start to have that kind of depth at OT they'll truly be in a good place.

Interior depth and talent is a good start.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Yeah good idea let's reshufflea top five OL around for the sake of two guys who didn't start last year, BRILLIANT!

I'm thinking long term, your thinking next year. Also I'm not wanting to myself so much as I'm saying If Grasu turns it on then maybe Cody moves to the position we drafted him for and Grasu becomes the C he was drafted to be. I would not have a problem with it.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
When I think about who should back up Whitehair at C, Grasu isn't even #2 on my list.

Weak, undersized, injury prone, lack-of-technique, can't maintain pad-level, was a shot-gun snapper, poor footwork... Can really only play one position.

Barring an unexpected camp/pre-season injury, I honestly think he's going to have a very difficult time making the team.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
I was never impressed with him when he played. Hopefully he has hit the weight room and is able to hang in the league now. It would be good to have a back-up center who is starting caliber but i am not holding my breath.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
He looked pretty good until the SF turf got ahold of him. Whitehair was the highest rated T in CFB his final season. He would make a VERY good RT. I hope Grasu comes back fully as he had the makings of a solid C after putting on weight prior to the start of last year.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Cody's found his spot so Grasu seems superfluous if he can't be a solid G as well but what if Massie goes down? Whitehair may be our best RT as well and with Grasu at C may make our best 5. Not saying it's so but it's the sort of thought process that could keep Grasu's viable.

If the Bears ever have to move one of their guards to RT they are in trouble. We already saw Klye Long try this out & it was a disaster. Good guard or center does not = good or decent tackle. The Bears better have a swing tackle on the roster as a back up in case a tackle goes down. Actually that is why T. Bradley Sowell was signed this offseason.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see if Whitehair takes some tackle practice at camp.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If the Bears ever have to move one of their guards to RT they are in trouble. We already saw Klye Long try this out & it was a disaster. Good guard or center does not = good or decent tackle. The Bears better have a swing tackle on the roster as a back up in case a tackle goes down. Actually that is why T. Bradley Sowell was signed this offseason.

Whitehair was a LT at Kansas State and he was the best o-linemen in the Big 12. He was a much better football player than Kyle Long in college and played a lot more football considering he was a four year starter. I think he could play any position on the line and succeed. He reminds me of Marshall Yanda.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
If the Bears ever have to move one of their guards to RT they are in trouble. We already saw Klye Long try this out & it was a disaster.
What we saw was the Bears move Long after preseason with no reps or practice to the T position. That is not the right way to do things and that showed. Cody has experience at T and if he gets moved hopefully it's early in the process so he gets reps before the season starts.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whitehair was a LT at Kansas State and he was the best o-linemen in the Big 12. He was a much better football player than Kyle Long in college and played a lot more football considering he was a four year starter. I think he could play any position on the line and succeed. He reminds me of Marshall Yanda.

That was in college, a lot of good college tackles only succeed as guards in the NFL. See Klye Long who was a tackle at Oregon. Wing span, hieght and a lot of other factors come into play at the NFL level. Whitehair is a PB level center who is the quarterback of the OL. Why move Whitehair and make him an avg to below avg tackle to cover for an injured tackle? Use a backup tackle that has already played the position in the NFL, instead of moving Whitehair & weakening 2 positions.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm thinking long term, your thinking next year. Also I'm not wanting to myself so much as I'm saying If Grasu turns it on then maybe Cody moves to the position we drafted him for and Grasu becomes the C he was drafted to be. I would not have a problem with it.

Long term Charles Leno is the starting LT until he starts to look otherwise. Leno has been good and is getting better if he's even better this year he gets a long term deal. Whitehair was a top-5 center as a rookie last year and Sitton was the highest graded player on the OL. This OL is set until further notice which means the focus is developing other spots like a youth injection at OLB shoring up the WR spot and obviously the secondary.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Long term Charles Leno is the starting LT until he starts to look otherwise. Leno has been good and is getting better if he's even better this year he gets a long term deal. Whitehair was a top-5 center as a rookie last year and Sitton was the highest graded player on the OL. This OL is set until further notice which means the focus is developing other spots like a youth injection at OLB shoring up the WR spot and obviously the secondary.

Funny stuff:) "Leno has been "GOOD" and is getting "BETTER"?

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree Leno did get better & he is underrated to me. The Leno & the rest of the OL looked bad when Cutler was under center but that was not the case with the other QBs. Cutler held on to the ball way too long.