IST: Sox v Cubs

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Boy I'll tell ya, if you didn't realize that the White Sox would win one or two games in this series you don't pay attention. Do you know what the odds are against losing ten in a row? Add that to the fact that the Sox players do find extra motivation in this series and you end up with a competitive series with a bad team. Yesterday was frustrating, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't, but by about two hours after the game I was completely over it. The Cubs have looked like they were partying like 2016 for the last week and a half, so we know it's there and they got a huge trade boost. If we get swept or lose three of four I will be pissed, other than that my anger will last not much longer than the games they lose.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Boy I'll tell ya, if you didn't realize that the White Sox would win one or two games in this series you don't pay attention. Do you know what the odds are against losing ten in a row? Add that to the fact that the Sox players do find extra motivation in this series and you end up with a competitive series with a bad team. Yesterday was frustrating, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't, but by about two hours after the game I was completely over it. The Cubs have looked like they were partying like 2016 for the last week and a half, so we know it's there and they got a huge trade boost. If we get swept or lose three of four I will be pissed, other than that my anger will last not much longer than the games they lose.
Odds are really god losing 10 in a row when you've lost 9 in a row. Against a superior team better than 50%.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Odds are really god losing 10 in a row when you've lost 9 in a row. Against a superior team better than 50%.

I wouldn't call 50% good. I expected a loss yesterday. Now the way they lost pissed me off but in the end I expected this home/home to be a split. 3 of 4 with some luck.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't get why people always get so upset losing to bad teams. In any other sport yeah I get it but baseball isn't like any other game. The talent gap between a 100 win team and a 80 win team isn't that much. IIRC the floor for war is 45-50 wins. In other words you could take a triple A team and they would likely win 45-50 games. It's rare teams win 100 games. So the reality of the situation is you're talking about 50 or so wins that teams are competing over best case. You're not going to lose every game vs a good team and you're not going to win every game vs a bad team. That's just the stats of things.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't get why people always get so upset losing to bad teams. In any other sport yeah I get it but baseball isn't like any other game. The talent gap between a 100 win team and a 80 win team isn't that much. IIRC the floor for war is 45-50 wins. In other words you could take a triple A team and they would likely win 45-50 games. It's rare teams win 100 games. So the reality of the situation is you're talking about 50 or so wins that teams are competing over best case. You're not going to lose every game vs a good team and you're not going to win every game vs a bad team. That's just the stats of things.

Think they wanted to show Q that he didn't jump on the greyhound to success.

But I really think the trade amped them up. Kinda a show up thing. Cubs need to wake up and play them like they are a threat.

I've felt that is the problem with the Cubs. They tend to play off of emotion. Maybe because of the heavy Latino part of the squad. But coming in they looked flat and maybe it was because they were not amped up to beat a team that is going through a wrecking ball.

Joe needs to amp it up.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call 50% good. I expected a loss yesterday. Now the way they lost pissed me off but in the end I expected this home/home to be a split. 3 of 4 with some luck.

of course you may have expected it, but the odds of the Cubs winning yesterday was Cubs -262. So the odds of them winning yesterday was about 75% at teh start of the game. That's outstandingly good.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I thought we showed a few years ago that 45 wins is not a base.

There is no chance a AAA team wins 45-50 games thru 162 in the bigs. The talent jump is WAY, WAY too great. It's like saying the NCAA Champs can beat the Browns. No, they can't. Ever.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't know about the rest of the guys here but for me, it's never who they lose to but how they lose the game. They lose one because they walk everyone in the park and yesterday, the blatant refusal to take infield hits that are literally being given to them by the shift. On a non-HR day in a close game, you just can't pass that up.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I thought we showed a few years ago that 45 wins is not a base.

There is no chance a AAA team wins 45-50 games thru 162 in the bigs. The talent jump is WAY, WAY too great. It's like saying the NCAA Champs can beat the Browns. No, they can't. Ever.

[video=youtube;pWdd6_ZxX8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

Also to prove the point, no team since the league expanded in 69 has lost more than 119 games. In other words, the feasibly worst team to ever play at a MLB level is around there. If you want to argue that team is better than any random AAA fine but that's really splitting hairs. the point here is the gap between the worst teams in the majors and the best isn't that big.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;pWdd6_ZxX8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

Also to prove the point, no team since the league expanded in 69 has lost more than 119 games. In other words, the feasibly worst team to ever play at a MLB level is around there. If you want to argue that team is better than any random AAA fine but that's really splitting hairs. the point here is the gap between the worst teams in the majors and the best isn't that big.
I agree that the talent isn't so big, however even in that year of 119 loses, that was way better than any Triple A team. This is the thing that fans speak of and paid professionals shoot down every time. Even that 119 loss team top to bottom is superior to any AAA team.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Can we get to bitching about Lackey?
I'm praying they add another starter so I don't have to see him pitch anymore..

2 out 2 run double to an AL pitcher after they get 3 runs for him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Has Rizzo always wiggled and jiggled like he wants to hump the bat and the plate this much? Seems a bit out of control and quite often late at what he needs to do up there.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maddon...."You blow the call, then you boot my guy for arguing....so we get it stuck in our ass twice."

MLB umpires....quite the classy group.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I've seen a lot of dumb shit on the baseball diamond in my life, but Beck hitting Happ out of some misguided retaliation may be the dumbest. Really, you think Lackey was doing that on purpose? Have you seen that motherfucker pitch?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs just can't score runs without hitting a homer..

Never seen a team struggle so bad at getting guys home in scoring position and with less then 2 outs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've seen a lot of dumb shit on the baseball diamond in my life, but Beck hitting Happ out of some misguided retaliation may be the dumbest. Really, you think Lackey was doing that on purpose? Have you seen that motherfucker pitch?

There's a reason Renteria manages young teams that suck, then gets launched when they start turning the corner....