New CBA To Penalize High-Payroll Teams With Lowered Draft Picks

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs won't be anywhere near there as most of their main young players are under control for at least 4-5 years.

What they need to hope for is that these cost controlled young core position players in Contreras,Russell, Bryant, and Schwarber start hitting consistently and that they can get at least 2 of those pitching prospects to make a successful jump to rotation in next couple seasons..

This happens then they can sign a couple 25-30 mil per players like Harper, etc and not worry about being over 200 mil. til after 2020/21, because they won't need to be spending unnecessary money on FA to play for those kids..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs won't be anywhere near there as most of their main young players are under control for at least 4-5 years.

What they need to hope for is that these cost controlled young core position players in Contreras,Russell, Bryant, and Schwarber start hitting consistently and that they can get at least 2 of those pitching prospects to make a successful jump to rotation in next couple seasons..

This happens then they can sign a couple 25-30 mil per players like Harper, etc and not worry about being over 200 mil. til after 2020/21, because they won't need to be spending unnecessary money on FA to play for those kids..

Cubs were around $200 million last year. Now we got people wanting them to eat a lot of Verlander's contract which is adding over $10 mil to the books. Just sayin...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs were around $200 million last year. Now we got people wanting them to eat a lot of Verlander's contract which is adding over $10 mil to the books. Just sayin...

They started at 171 mil with 25 man last year and they ended near 206mil total with 40 man roster, including money owed to Edwin Jackson and couple others..

Their at 172 mil this year for 25 man, which is where they were last year..
So,ok they'll sniff around 200 mil total for 40 man..

I still stand by everything else I said and don't think they'll need to worry too much about taking a hit as long as these young core produce and they can stay away from having to sign multiple FAs

As far as Verlander goes..
If their gonna spend money, I'd rather wait til off season and spend it on a younger SP..
But
I think if they were legitimately interested in him, Tigers would have to eat salary..