Blackhawks analyst Eddie Olczyk announces he has colon cancer

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck cancer.

Blackhawks analyst Eddie Olczyk announces he has colon cancer

750x422
Blackhawks announcers Pat Foley, left, and Eddie Olczyk pose for a photograph at the Untied Center in 2014. Olczyk announced Tuesday he was diagnosed with colon cancer.
(John J. Kim / Chicago Tribune)

70x70
Chris HineContact ReporterChicago Tribune

Blackhawks and NBC national hockey analyst Eddie Olczyk said he has been diagnosed with colon cancer, but Olczyk is hoping the disease won't keep out of the broadcast booth for long.
Olczyk, 50, said in a statement Tuesday released by the Hawks that he is undergoing treatment for the disesase and hopes to return to work soon although he is likely to miss the start of next season.

"I have been working with outstanding health care professionals and expect to be back in the broadcast booth after I complete my treatment," Olczyk said in the statement. "Having the support and encouragement from my family, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, NBC Sports and all my friends and fans means the world to me and will give me continued strength to beat this. My family and I appreciate privacy during this time as we focus our attention on my treatments."
Hawks team physician Dr. Michael Terry said in a statement that Olczyk recently had surgery to remove a tumor and will undergo chemotherapy to treat the cancer. Terry did not put a timetable on Olczyk's recovery but said: "We look forward to his return to good health after the completion of his treatment."

The Hawks did not announce any temporary plans to replace Olczyk in the booth alongside play-by-play broadcaster Pat Foley.
As part of his duties for both the Hawks and NBC, Olczyk maintains a hectic travel schedule complete with dozens of flights each season while making time to see his sons play hockey. In recent years, Olczyk, who has a passion for horse racing, has also been a part of NBC's horse racing coverage of major events like the Kentucky Derby.
NBC sports exectuive producer Sam Flood said Olczyk would not begin the season broadcasting games for the network alongside partners Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire.
“On behalf of everyone at NBC Sports, we wish Eddie and his family all the best as they cope with this health issue," Flood said. "Our top priority is for Edzo to get healthy, so he won’t be joining us at the beginning of the season. We’ll have information on how we’ll staff those games soon. But most of all, we’re looking forward to the day when Edzo comes off IR, and rejoins Doc and Pierre to call the great game of hockey.”
Olczyk has been the analyst on Hawks games alongside play-by-play partner Foley since the 2006-07 season. Before his career in the booth, Olczyk was Sidney Crosby's first NHL head coach, serving parts of two seasons behind the bench for the Penguins after a decorated career in the NHL, including multiple seasons with the Hawks.
Olczyk, a native of Chicago, was the third overall pick in the 1984 entry draft and played in the NHL from 1984 through the 1999-00 season. A forward, he played parts of five seasons with the Blackhawks and started and ended his NHL career in Chicago. He also played for the Jets, the Maple Leafs, Penguins, Rangers and Kings.

He tallied 342 goals and 452 assists in 1,031 NHL games. He became a Stanley Cup champion with the Rangers in 1994. He was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.
“Eddie Olczyk is a treasured member of the Chicago Blackhawks family and we will be supportive of him as he fights this disease,” President John McDonough said. “We encourage our fans to keep him in their thoughts as we all look forward to having him back in good health as soon as possible.”

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get well Eddie.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
Hope it's not too far along. My Uncle had it (stage 4) and it was fucking painful...it got him after about a 15 month battle.

Get well Eddie! (and maybe lay off the soft-serve) ;-)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But who is Pierre Mcguire gonna ask dumb questions to now?!?!

Get well Eddie O...

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sure hope Eddie wins his 1st fight.
Get well Edzo. Fuck cancer!

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Cancer's the worst. Pull through Eddie

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a happy human. Get well Edzo

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Brutal.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Gotta get well and get some soft serve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All you Eddie O h8ers feel bad now don't u.... I expect all of u yelling tree-tirty-tree in da turd during every game this season

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But go do that in the Bears forum.
I don't go into the Bears forum; I don't like american football.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Such a horrid decision made by nbc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk