Contrares to DL, Now does Schwarber catch?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Honestly no, not the way they've been playing all year with inconsistency in hitting and pitching...
I just think the Nationals and Dodgers have too much going on this year and just seem unbeatable in a series..

Now come mid September and Cubs are clicking and Bryant Rizzo and Schwarber are rocking the baseball like we expected all year from them and they have at least 3 hot starters going in Lester Quintana Arrieta and or Hendricks ..
I'll give them a better shot at it..

My hope was to see the Cubs come out in the 2nd half and play like the team we expected to see all year..
They came out hot and then went back to being the mediocre team they were the last week or so..

There just no good consistency with this team..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
That's a reason I suggested I want to see Schwarber catching. I don't think they are going anywhere, even if they win the division. May as well get him behind the plate and get your real OF out there when Avila needs a day off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's a reason I suggested I want to see Schwarber catching. I don't think they are going anywhere, even if they win the division. May as well get him behind the plate and get your real OF out there when Avila needs a day off.
I get that , I don't think cubs management sees it that way now..
Being their in 1st by a couple games..

I just don't think they ever really planned on Schwarber being a regular catcher as a starter or back up..

I just think their plan was to have him play LF every day and maybe catch once or twice a month to give Montero an extra day off..

Now after the knee injury and missing a whole year of developing there, I think they moved on from him being anything more then an emergency catcher and a late inning replacement if needed..

Contreras is their guy and we'll probably see another LH veteran as back up next year..

In my personal opinion, if Schwarber back as a cub next year .. I'd rather see him working on his hitting over the winter/winterball and instead of trying to catch up and working on catching which is difficult, I'd rather see him working on LF and 1B and 3B and be a guy who can spell both Rizzo and Bryant In some games...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I get that , I don't think cubs management sees it that way now..
Being their in 1st by a couple games..

I just don't think they ever really planned on Schwarber being a regular catcher as a starter or back up..

I just think their plan was to have him play LF every day and maybe catch once or twice a month to give Montero an extra day off..

Now after the knee injury and missing a whole year of developing there, I think they moved on from him being anything more then an emergency catcher and a late inning replacement if needed..

Contreras is their guy and we'll probably see another LH veteran as back up next year..

In my personal opinion, if Schwarber back as a cub next year .. I'd rather see him working on his hitting over the winter/winterball and instead of trying to catch up and working on catching which is difficult, I'd rather see him working on LF and 1B and 3B and be a guy who can spell both Rizzo and Bryant In some games...

You would rather see him at 3B or 1B instead of Catching? Yeah, cant make any mistakes there. Then we have Zobrist, Baez, Happ and Schwarber to play every position.

I just cant understand this, but I am a self proclaimed idiot. The option is either have a 25th guy in Caratini sit on the bench since Joe wont use him to pinch hit, instead of having Schwarber in the lineup with Baez or Happ in the lineup too. Its not just Caratini over Schwarber, its over Happ and Baez too.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You would rather see him at 3B or 1B instead of Catching? Yeah, cant make any mistakes there. Then we have Zobrist, Baez, Happ and Schwarber to play every position.

I just cant understand this, but I am a self proclaimed idiot. The option is either have a 25th guy in Caratini sit on the bench since Joe wont use him to pinch hit, instead of having Schwarber in the lineup with Baez or Happ in the lineup too. Its not just Caratini over Schwarber, its over Happ and Baez too.
Next season, not this year..

Outside of playing LF everyday, I would much rather he be used to spell Bryant and or Rizzo once or twice a month over catching once or twice a month..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they drop Bryant to 3 then they should bat Schwarber 2. He needs protection and his BB's pay off then.

Not a fan of LaStella there myself

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
If they drop Bryant to 3 then they should bat Schwarber 2. He needs protection and his BB's pay off then.

It's hard to draw walks when you only see 3 pitches per at bat.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Protection ???
Their throwing him strikes and he swinging right through them..

TL1961

Liked Posts:

So, using this "logic", if one can call it that...you feel a terrible defensive catcher hurts you less than a below average LF?

Why not just put him at catcher, and Caratini at SS?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So, using this "logic", if one can call it that...you feel a terrible defensive catcher hurts you less than a below average LF?

Why not just put him at catcher, and Caratini at SS?
Why, if I make offensive posts like TL1961, would anyone respond to me?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ok fun time over: 13% BB rate. Yes his 113 SO are overboard but his BB are not below the 8% ideal rate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ok fun time over: 13% BB rate. Yes his 113 SO are overboard but his BB are not below the 8% ideal rate.
He gets a hit only 19% of time strikes out a whopping 32% of time..
AND
Were suppose to be ok with him walking 13% of time

CSF77

Liked Posts:
597 AB'S: .214/.329/.450

Rizzo 1st 2 years: .141/.281/.242 .285/.342/.463 2013: .233/.323/.419 2014 is when he broke out. .286/.386/.527

Byant's rookie year: 199 SO's. 2nd year 154.

Sure he has to cut down his SO's but here is the thing. That happens naturally with playing time. The hard part is increasing BB%. That has more to do with approach at the plate.

The shift for the most part has nixed his BA. We all get that and honestly he is going to have to start inside outting the ball. Which means getting behind the ball and driving to left field more. That should force the D to play him strait more which opens up pull hitting again.

But that is going to take time. Remember he is still under 1 full year in AB's right now. You act like he is a washed up vet.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why, if I make offensive posts like TL1961, would anyone respond to me?

This has been discussed over and over and people keep answering the question. Yet here it is again.

Why are people obsessed with Schwarber catching, yet completely unaware of what he looked like when catching?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But his stance is open. Which puts both eyes into play. He needs to close it some what. Either in the load up or redesigning it. I believe that his open stance is causing him to dead pull which plays right into the shift. And that has probably gotten into his head. Sure he gets a mistake here and there which ends up in the stands.

But he has the basic tools. He really needs to do some adjustments in the off season to retool his swing and stance.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This has been discussed over and over and people keep answering the question. Yet here it is again.

Why are people obsessed with Schwarber catching, yet completely unaware of what he looked like when catching?

Its not an obsession, its simply getting him and another hitter in the lineup instead of an automatic out.

The argument is the bench guys, Happ, LaStella, Zobrist, Almora, and or Baez are not in the game in leiu or Caratini.

I am not sure the same people that thought he was terrible catching are not seeing Caratini learning the position as we go.