Contrares to DL, Now does Schwarber catch?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Everybody hates the idea, while Happ and Jay both show they are left fielders as well, or will Theo go and get a waiver wire catcher?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Everybody hates the idea, while Happ and Jay both show they are left fielders as well, or will Theo go and get a waiver wire catcher?
Absolutely not.....

Avila will start , Caratini will back up

Kyle Schwarber is not a good Catcher.....
Schwarber with the way he been playing shouldn't even be starting in LF now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Absolutely not.....

Avila will start , Caratini will back up

Kyle Schwarber is not a good Catcher.....
Schwarber with the way he been playing shouldn't even be starting in LF now..

Agreed he shouldn't catch and I hate to beat a dead horse but Schwarber's numbers remain very good since his call up .256/341/.564 .908 OPS .377 wOBA 132 wRC+. Of course he should be getting playing time. You keep calling for more time for Jon Jay, who has been good but whose number don't come close to that in the same time frame .264/.376/.306 .682 OPS .315 wOBA 92 wRC+. It's frustrating that you just ignore the numbers.

edit: Because I know you'll talk about what has he done lately so here are Schwarber's numbers in the last 2 weeks 7/28 to present: .281/.343/.656 .999 OPS .490 wOBA 152 wRC+.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So you would rather keep Caratini on the bench 4 out of 5 games to do nothing as a pinch hitter instead of catching Schwarber 1 game?

Maybe people have not noticed, that Carantini is a converted fielder too and still learning how to catch. I really dont think you lose much from that inexperience to Schwarber

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So you would rather keep Caratini on the bench 4 out of 5 games to do nothing as a pinch hitter instead of catching Schwarber 1 game?

Maybe people have not noticed, that Carantini is a converted fielder too and still learning how to catch. I really dont think you lose much from that inexperience to Schwarber

I wouldn't discount the injury. I just wouldn't catch Schwarber anymore at all. Depending on prognosis I would expect them to sign a defense first catcher to a minor league deal and call him up if needed, maybe even carry him a third option when the rosters expand. Avil will catch all but a game or two a week going forward unless or unitl Contreras makes it back.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Kyle want to catch?

If yes, I think he should be personal catcher to somebody just to keep happy, do his routine, and give Cubs options if they ever decide to stuff the line-up or what

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agreed he shouldn't catch and I hate to beat a dead horse but Schwarber's numbers remain very good since his call up .256/341/.564 .908 OPS .377 wOBA 132 wRC+. Of course he should be getting playing time. You keep calling for more time for Jon Jay, who has been good but whose number don't come close to that in the same time frame .264/.376/.306 .682 OPS .315 wOBA 92 wRC+. It's frustrating that you just ignore the numbers.

edit: Because I know you'll talk about what has he done lately so here are Schwarber's numbers in the last 2 weeks 7/28 to present: .281/.343/.656 .999 OPS .490 wOBA 152 wRC+.
Since Maddon won't play Almora on a consistent bases in CF, Jon Jay is their best option to play everyday over playing Zobrist..
that my gripe with that

My Schwarber comment was just a frustrating Jab at the situation...
This season hasn't quite gone as anticipated for the team and for him..

Schwarber has done great this month so far with getting some hits fall in and walking but as one guy likes to say Jay has empty singles hitting leadoff or bottom of order most ABs , what would you call Schwarber light production..

Since July he has 88 PA 20 Hits .256 Avg (all good)..

But

For what he supposed to be , a power hitting run producer in middle of lineup ...
He has just 9 RBIs in that span

Why?
Mainly because he also has 31 Ks and hasn't come through much with RISP

Can't find a split for July/Aug Now
But for the season he has 76 PA with RISP hitting just .143 .591 OPS 17 RBI

Again .. I'm not picking on him, I haven't really said anything the last couple weeks because I promised and he has done better with getting on base..
But
He just been frustrating to watch when pretty much every time he comes up in a run scoring situation, he striking out or popping out because he swinging from his heels or just looking over matched..

But I'm not going to dog him now because he has been a lot better with getting on base, just wish he'd cut down on his Ks and do better with RISP, especially now with Contreras out of line up..

So, need Schwarber Bryant and Rizzo to step it up big time these next couple weeks...

Also need the pitching to step it up because offensively the runs prodiction probably take a hit now...

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Caratini will get as much playing time as Avila would get if Contreras wasn't hurt...

Yes, I'd prefer whatever amount of games Caratini will get behind the plate over even just 1 game a week with Schwarber because even Caratini worse game will be much better then Schwarber best game back there..

You and some people forget, the kid coming off a bad knee injury..
So besides the fact it set him back a whole year worth of experience and learning the catcher position, he still not able to squat for a long period of time and be agile and quick on his feet behind the plate like catchers are supposed to be....

Reason why he hasn't caught much all year and when he has a couple times it just for an inning late in a lopsided game...

Maybe next season as he heals more and works more on it over the winter, he'll play more games behind the plate but I doubt it..

I think if he stays a cub he will be mainly in LF..
If it were me I'd have him work on 1B and 3B over the winter to give him and Maddon more line up options to give Bryant and Rizzo rest..

If he gets moved to an AL team he will most likely be an everyday DH and probably play 1B some along with LF ..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Since Maddon won't play Almora on a consistent bases in CF, Jon Jay is their best option to play everyday over playing Zobrist..
that my gripe with that

My Schwarber comment was just a frustrating Jab at the situation...
This season hasn't quite gone as anticipated for the team and for him..

Schwarber has done great this month so far with getting some hits fall in and walking but as one guy likes to say Jay has empty singles hitting leadoff or bottom of order most ABs , what would you call Schwarber light production..

Since July he has 88 PA 20 Hits .256 Avg (all good)..

But

For what he supposed to be , a power hitting run producer in middle of lineup ...
He has just 9 RBIs in that span

Why?
Mainly because he also has 31 Ks and hasn't come through much with RISP

Can't find a split for July/Aug Now
But for the season he has 76 PA with RISP hitting just .143 .591 OPS 17 RBI

Again .. I'm not picking on him, I haven't really said anything the last couple weeks because I promised and he has done better with getting on base..
But
He just been frustrating to watch when pretty much every time he comes up in a run scoring situation, he striking out or popping out because he swinging from his heels or just looking over matched..

But I'm not going to dog him now because he has been a lot better with getting on base, just wish he'd cut down on his Ks and do better with RISP, especially now with Contreras out of line up..

So, need Schwarber Bryant and Rizzo to step it up big time these next couple weeks...

Also need the pitching to step it up because offensively the runs prodiction probably take a hit now...

There's nothing there I don't agree with. I don't put a lot of stock in RBI per se, but the numbers for Schwarber and Bryant are sub par. No argument there. If we're going to win this division that has to change.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There's nothing there I don't agree with. I don't put a lot of stock in RBI per se, but the numbers for Schwarber and Bryant are sub par. No argument there. If we're going to win this division that has to change.
I agree with the RBI thing..
Need to rely on guys getting on base, but when those opportunities come, it would be nice to see our guys come through more often then not..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Schwarber should get some time behind the plate now. He isn't going to be any worse than Caratini there. Find a SP he can work with. When that pitcher gets chased, send him to LF or something. I would get his bat in the lineup every day, especially since the team just lost a really hot bat, and Schwarber is hitting well after coming back from Iowa.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Caratini will get as much playing time as Avila would get if Contreras wasn't hurt...

Yes, I'd prefer whatever amount of games Caratini will get behind the plate over even just 1 game a week with Schwarber because even Caratini worse game will be much better then Schwarber best game back there..

You and some people forget, the kid coming off a bad knee injury..
So besides the fact it set him back a whole year worth of experience and learning the catcher position, he still not able to squat for a long period of time and be agile and quick on his feet behind the plate like catchers are supposed to be....

a bad knee injury suffered in Left field.

Who said he cannot squat for a long period of time?

Where is all this evidence of how bad Schwarber is as a catcher? Just compare his 2015 numbers to Caratini this year if you think Caratini is such a stud catcher.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Schwarber should get some time behind the plate now. He isn't going to be any worse than Caratini there. Find a SP he can work with. When that pitcher gets chased, send him to LF or something. I would get his bat in the lineup every day, especially since the team just lost a really hot bat, and Schwarber is hitting well after coming back from Iowa.

Right now, he's like a backup QB. He's one injury away from being a semi-regular catcher. They just might want to get him a few games behind the plate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Aliva should get 90% of the starts right now. It should be 2 weeks. But honestly they need to promote Cartiani over that span. It is more about catching depth vs Schwarber. If Alvia goes down you need a 'catcher' to step in. That is why it is called a back up.

IMO Schwarber needs to focus on hitting right now. That is why he is here. When he has that part mastered then he can start taking on a new challenge.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why?
what the difference if they play Schwarber every day in LF or 4 games in LF and 1 game catching ?

Their bringing Caratini up anyways cause they need 2nd catcher..
Might as well go with a guy who been catching all year, once a week and most likely better behind the plate then Schwarber

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why?
what the difference if they play Schwarber every day in LF or 4 games in LF and 1 game catching ?

Their bringing Caratini up anyways cause they need 2nd catcher..
Might as well go with a guy who been catching all year, once a week and most likely better behind the plate then Schwarber

Do you think the Cubs are going to make a deep playoff run?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You guys crack me up...

Kyle Schwarber catching days are over....

At best he is their 3rd string emergency catcher, which i guarentee you he would of been last season as it rolled on and he didn't get hurt..

Would he have started a couple games ? Probably

But they had Montero LH bat and Ross Lester caddy...
Schwarber maybe would of gotten a few starts in for Montero if Montero struggled..
But
I personally think he would of been used more to give Montero and Ross breaks at end of blowout games..

This season, again 3rd string emergency catcher..
He has caught a couple games late for an inning..
If they had any plans of using him as catcher, don't you think he would of started games after Montero was traded ?
No, they stuck with Contreras and brought up Caratini..

What makes you guys think their going to go to him now?
They went and got Avila for this reason and to give Contreras a break once a week..

Avila is now Contreras for a couple weeks, and just like when they traded Montero, Caratini is up to spell him once a week...

Nothing changes

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Do you think the Cubs are going to make a deep playoff run?
Honestly no, not the way they've been playing all year with inconsistency in hitting and pitching...
I just think the Nationals and Dodgers have too much going on this year and just seem unbeatable in a series..

Now come mid September and Cubs are clicking and Bryant Rizzo and Schwarber are rocking the baseball like we expected all year from them and they have at least 3 hot starters going in Lester Quintana Arrieta and or Hendricks ..
I'll give them a better shot at it..

My hope was to see the Cubs come out in the 2nd half and play like the team we expected to see all year..
They came out hot and then went back to being the mediocre team they were the last week or so..

There just no good consistency with this team..