Bryce Harper

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I just don't see any reality that Bryant and Harper play on the same team outside of a amature clubhouse.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that they will do Bryant right and offer him 300 mil. Harper is pipe crack dreams. Russell is good for a deal like Rizzo's.

They are going to have to push the self developed rotation though. That is where they can afford Bryant.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lose a step and arm strength before age 29?

Where do you get this stuff?
He will be 29 in 2019..

He wont be as fast then and his arm won't be as strong in 2019 as it is today in 2017..

You tend to lose a bit of that as you get closer to 30...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that they will do Bryant right and offer him 300 mil. Harper is pipe crack dreams. Russell is good for a deal like Rizzo's.

They are going to have to push the self developed rotation though. That is where they can afford Bryant.
They have 5 years before they need to deal with bryant, by then Harper will be in his 4th yr of the deal..

I guarentee you all if Harper wants to play for the cubs , they will work put a reasonable deal between them..

There only 4 teams that could afford Harper..

Nats Angels Yankees Cubs

Redsox already have 3 talented young OFers to ride with..

Dodgers payroll is already high and
are tied up with Kershaw making 35 pe mil per and most likely will be extending Justin Turner to a long term big contract..

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Cubs can't afford Bryce Harper.

They're paying 60 million right now for Zobrist, Lackey, Montero, and Rondon. There is no logical argument that you can't afford a MVP level player. If that's the case, you get rid of worse players.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs can't afford Bryce Harper.

They're paying 60 million right now for Zobrist, Lackey, Montero, and Rondon. There is no logical argument that you can't afford a MVP level player. If that's the case, you get rid of worse players.

False equivalency. They are also paying Bryant ~$1 million and Russell and Hendricks are still on rookie deals. That's going to quickly change over the next 2 years.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
False equivalency. They are also paying Bryant ~$1 million and Russell and Hendricks are still on rookie deals. That's going to quickly change over the next 2 years.
My guess some of the roster will change over next 2 years...

$72.786..19
$43.000..20
$31.000..21
$22.000..22

Only Heyward signed to 2022

Yes, they have Rizzo and handful of Arbs to take care of til then..

But as ive been saying, as long as their own keeps producing and they dont have to go over board on FAs to fill in a spot that one of their own cant hold onto..
Then theyll have more then enough to bring in Harper if they want

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
My guess some of the roster will change over next 2 years...

$72.786..19
$43.000..20
$31.000..21
$22.000..22

Only Heyward signed to 2022

Yes, they have Rizzo and handful of Arbs to take care of til then..

But as ive been saying, as long as their own keeps producing and they dont have to go over board on FAs to fill in a spot that one of their own cant hold onto..
Then theyll have more then enough to bring in Harper if they want

The larger issue is they still haven't solved their long term pitching situation and that's going to be expensive. For example, I'd consider Shark a #3 level pitcher and he got 5/$90 mil last year. Arrieta is making a little money but to replace him with an equivalent pitcher in FA is going to cost $5-10 mil more a year. And obviously Lester is aging. Q is under contract for 3 more years but then he'll be getting paid. And obviously Hendricks is going to start racking up money via arbitration. Long story short here, if you're paying probably more than $60 mil to Harper/Bryant then you're likely also paying your top two pitchers close to $60 mil. You end up in this weird place where 4 people are making over half your payroll and if you're wanting to stay around $200 mil then you're paying like $7.5 mil to people on the 40 man but not on the 25 man, as well as probably $5-10 mil in money for guys you DFA during a season. So for the sake of argument you're left with around $65 mil for 21 other players and guys like Russell aren't going to be cheap either. That's roughly $3 mil per guy. Point here being that money runs out quicker than people think. And as I said, even if it is feasibly possible to do, you're in a situation where you no longer make any other moves because you're tapped. It's not like you can bring in a reliever making $10 mil aft the deadline if you need one for example.

As I said, it's nice to dream about but without one of Bryant or Harper taking a decent discount to play with the cubs I don't think it's reasonable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The team is better when there is strong talent as a whole. Vs 2 guys soaking too much pay roll.

The only way Harper gets that deal is if he finds a situation like Miami. He gets paid and has no payroll around him. So maybe a team with a strong farm that self supports. Twins come to mind. Not a big market but they do produce their own where a name like Harper can drive up tix sales.

Cubs don't need Harper. He will cost more that he will move the box office needle. So it is a bad decision to lose profitability over him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The larger issue is they still haven't solved their long term pitching situation and that's going to be expensive. For example, I'd consider Shark a #3 level pitcher and he got 5/$90 mil last year. Arrieta is making a little money but to replace him with an equivalent pitcher in FA is going to cost $5-10 mil more a year. And obviously Lester is aging. Q is under contract for 3 more years but then he'll be getting paid. And obviously Hendricks is going to start racking up money via arbitration. Long story short here, if you're paying probably more than $60 mil to Harper/Bryant then you're likely also paying your top two pitchers close to $60 mil. You end up in this weird place where 4 people are making over half your payroll and if you're wanting to stay around $200 mil then you're paying like $7.5 mil to people on the 40 man but not on the 25 man, as well as probably $5-10 mil in money for guys you DFA during a season. So for the sake of argument you're left with around $65 mil for 21 other players and guys like Russell aren't going to be cheap either. That's roughly $3 mil per guy. Point here being that money runs out quicker than people think. And as I said, even if it is feasibly possible to do, you're in a situation where you no longer make any other moves because you're tapped. It's not like you can bring in a reliever making $10 mil aft the deadline if you need one for example.

As I said, it's nice to dream about but without one of Bryant or Harper taking a decent discount to play with the cubs I don't think it's reasonable.
They have Lester 4 more years and both Quintana and Hendricks for 3 yrs..

As i said theyll need 1 or 2 guys from system to step up, and they have the trade option to get a SP..

They don't necessarily need to spend big money on a SP..

They were talking about it on tv the other day.. Cubs right now are 1 of 4 teams who realistically have a shot at him money wise with Nats Yankees Angels..
Dodgers and Redsox have their own thing going on as to why they may not be involved..

So, i think its a matter of how much his desire is to play with Bryant and Cubs..
How much cubs are willing to spend and how much he willing to accept to go there over the other 3 teams..

Far from a pipedream, they actually have a legit shot at landing him..
Just going to depend on come offseason 2018 how much his desire is to play here, Bryant Rizzo convincing him enough, and agreeing to a price..

Plus cubs might have a wild card and that his wife being close to Bryant wife.. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

DanTown

Liked Posts:

I don't need future money for Hendricks or Russell at 10+ million if I have Harper and Bryant. The value that a MVP level bat means is you can you use other low cost/cheap players for bench/bullpen/back of the rotation spots.

There is no way you'd ever say "well we're paying Harper too much money for MVP production".

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't need future money for Hendricks or Russell at 10+ million if I have Harper and Bryant. The value that a MVP level bat means is you can you use other low cost/cheap players for bench/bullpen/back of the rotation spots.

There is no way you'd ever say "well we're paying Harper too much money for MVP production".

I think the early 2000's rangers with Arod would beg to differ.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They have 5 years before they need to deal with bryant, by then Harper will be in his 4th yr of the deal..

I guarentee you all if Harper wants to play for the cubs , they will work put a reasonable deal between them..

There only 4 teams that could afford Harper..

Nats Angels Yankees Cubs

Redsox already have 3 talented young OFers to ride with..

Dodgers payroll is already high and
are tied up with Kershaw making 35 pe mil per and most likely will be extending Justin Turner to a long term big contract..

Philly can afford him and are interested. The only question is would Harper play there. Regardless of whether it's Harper or someone else Philadelphia is going to spend big over the next two years. I also wouldn't rule out the Dodgers as you are because they have some expiring contracts over the next few years and have a lot of young cost controlled guys that will be that way for a few years after Harper would sign. Best guess is he uses the Phillies to drive up the cost on the Yankees or Dodgers. St. Louis could afford him too if they really wanted to but let's not talk about that right now...

Getting back to Harper's salary you're way underestimating. Without looking it up and quoting you verbatim I think you said between $300-$350 million, that's Giancarlo Stanton money and Stanton was never projected to put up the kind of numbers Harper is in his prime. He may not get the $450 mil or more that he's looking for but I'd be stunned if he didn't get $400 mil and the Cubs are not paying him $400 mil.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Philly can afford him and are interested. The only question is would Harper play there. Regardless of whether it's Harper or someone else Philadelphia is going to spend big over the next two years. I also wouldn't rule out the Dodgers as you are because they have some expiring contracts over the next few years and have a lot of young cost controlled guys that will be that way for a few years after Harper would sign. Best guess is he uses the Phillies to drive up the cost on the Yankees or Dodgers. St. Louis could afford him too if they really wanted to but let's not talk about that right now...

Getting back to Harper's salary you're way underestimating. Without looking it up and quoting you verbatim I think you said between $300-$350 million, that's Giancarlo Stanton money and Stanton was never projected to put up the kind of numbers Harper is in his prime. He may not get the $450 mil or more that he's looking for but I'd be stunned if he didn't get $400 mil and the Cubs are not paying him $400 mil.
Im just going by what they were talking about on tv the other day..

Their thing with the Dodgers was they have Kershaw tied up with 35 per through 2020 and most likely looking to extend Turner pass 2020 to a big deal..
They did mention Dodgers but felt the top 4 were Angels Nats Yankees Cubs

If any team offers him 40 plus for 10 years, they wont have much of a roster and wont win..

30-35 cutting it close but it would take a team like Yankees Cubs who have very good young controlled talent and could get away with it for the first couple years..

Im not saying it a sure thing but i think its more of a chance then a pipe dream and cubs will be able to afford to do it..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Im just going by what they were talking about on tv the other day..

Their thing with the Dodgers was they have Kershaw tied up with 35 per through 2020 and most likely looking to extend Turner pass 2020 to a big deal..
They did mention Dodgers but felt the top 4 were Angels Nats Yankees Cubs

If any team offers him 40 plus for 10 years, they wont have much of a roster and wont win..

30-35 cutting it close but it would take a team like Yankees Cubs who have very good young controlled talent and could get away with it for the first couple years..

Im not saying it a sure thing but i think its more of a chance then a pipe dream and cubs will be able to afford to do it..

Kershaw actually has an opt out and would be a FA at the same time as Harper. They have a lot of young pitching coming and have proven they can get something out of not-quite-scrapheap guys. If a team like the Yankees decided to give Kershaw 7/$250 mil the Dodgers might go elsewhere and spend on someone like Harper. Plus LA could be in on Otani as well. Lots of things can happen but that 2019 FA class is absurd. Harper, Kershaw (probably) and Machado for starters.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm calling it now, Harper isn't leaving the Nats

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm calling it now, Harper isn't leaving the Nats

I'm not ready to go there but it wouldn't shock me. Boras has a good relationship with the Lerner family and they've negotiated two very large deals in the last 3 years in Scherzer and Strasburg. It's going to be tough though.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
that guy is as douche as they come. He'll go pinstripes and bang madonna when times get rough.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not ready to go there but it wouldn't shock me. Boras has a good relationship with the Lerner family and they've negotiated two very large deals in the last 3 years in Scherzer and Strasburg. It's going to be tough though.
If money/years is close to the same

It going to boil down too..

Who closer to winning it all..
And
where and who he wants to play with .