Liked Posts:
If money/years is close to the same

It going to boil down too..

Who closer to winning it all..
And
where and who he wants to play with .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Agreed
And who can still help while paying him. That's one team...the Nationals.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agreed
Help with what??

You do realize their paying and going to still be paying Scherzer Strasburg and Zimmerman big money..

Again , all money being equal it going to come down to where he desires to play and im sure his wife will have a little input in that..

Could be closer to home and goes out west, could be with his buddy bryant , or stay where he at ...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Help with what??

You do realize their paying and going to still be paying Scherzer Strasburg and Zimmerman big money..

Again , all money being equal it going to come down to where he desires to play and im sure his wife will have a little input in that..

Could be closer to home and goes out west, could be with his buddy bryant , or stay where he at ...

You are running with this myth on the closeness of Bryant.

Help with needs of the team.
I am not going to comment anymore to you. This is your fantasy and I do not wish to ruin that for you.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Agreed

It definitely could happen but there are a lot of factors to consider. First, Dusty Baker is unlikely to be retained unless they win the World Series. His contract was only for two years and the Lerners didn't like his begging for a closer. Considering they aren't especially good at hiring managers that creates instability. Also Rendon, Zimmerman and Eaton are only signed for one year longer than Harper so they could go in another direction at that time. Scherzer is signed through 2020 but beyond him only Strasburg is signed to a long term deal. Obviously Trea Turner is a great young piece and Robles and Soto look like can't miss prospects but beyond that the dropoff in the farm system is steep. With the lack of talent in the system if Washington signs Harper they will have to spend in FA well beyond him. You'd have to re-sign Rendon and eventually pay for pitching to go along with Strasburg who, by the way, is anything but a sure bet given health concerns. That's going to be a lot of money with very little in controllable talent. Harper may seriously wonder how long they can compete there and he'd be right to be concerned about that. On the Nats side there's a lot of existing talent to pay and lot more coming to keep a competition window open. If Harper really is going to get $400 mil plus, Rendon at $150-$200 mil the next year and then having to sign pitching and position players after all of that they also have to consider a rebuild an option. If Harper is gone they could trade Scherzer and Rendon in the 2018 offseason and get young in a hurry. I'm not saying you're wrong, the Lerners have certainly shown a commitment to winning, but if they've gone through essentially a five year window without winning a thing they might decide to start over. I just think the situation is pretty fluid.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You are running with this myth on the closeness of Bryant.

Help with needs of the team.
I am not going to comment anymore to you. This is your fantasy and I do not wish to ruin that for you.
Well then i share this fantasy with a lot of people who feel it could happen, including ones who get paid to report on it.

Myth on his closeness wirh Bryant?
They've been friends since harper was 7 and Bryant 9 , playing on same teams together..

Needs of team?
Outside of Bryant Rizzo Contreras, every other position is replaceable..

Epstein has a chance to add Harper to his line up, he not going to say no , sorry were sticking with what we got..
We don't need you

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well then i share this fantasy with a lot of people who feel it could happen, including ones who get paid to report on it.

Myth on his closeness wirh Bryant?
They've been friends since harper was 7 and Bryant 9 , playing on same teams together..

Needs of team?
Outside of Bryant Rizzo Contreras, every other position is replaceable..

Epstein has a chance to add Harper to his line up, he not going to say no , sorry were sticking with what we got..
We don't need you

Those paid people reported the myth that Harper fixed in online media shortly after the release of that photo. Closeness of wanting to play together.

Yes he's saying no because hitting isn't what they need. Pitching is. They'll sign their own and move on with pitching. I am calling it right now the Cubs are years away from signing an big time FA bat. And rightly so. That's been the plan all along sans Heyward as the Cubs really haven't been able to develop any OFers to this point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Those paid people reported the myth that Harper fixed in online media shortly after the release of that photo. Closeness of wanting to play together.

Yes he's saying no because hitting isn't what they need. Pitching is. They'll sign their own and move on with pitching. I am calling it right now the Cubs are years away from signing an big time FA bat. And rightly so. That's been the plan all along sans Heyward as the Cubs really haven't been able to develop any OFers to this point.
Nobody has a clue what going to happen with this team this off season during 2018 season or next off season to guarantee what moves they'll make in off season 2018..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Giancarlo Stanton just cleared waivers...

Interesting that not 1 team took a shot at claiming him and his remaining 10 yr 290 mil contract...

He 27 , Harper will be 26 next year

So, does this strengthen my statement that no team will offer Harper 350 mil or more for 10 yrs, if none would claim Stanton and his 290 mil over next 10 yrs..

Stanton hitting .285 44 HR .374 OBP 1.014 OPS

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Giancarlo Stanton just cleared waivers...

Interesting that not 1 team took a shot at claiming him and his remaining 10 yr 290 mil contract...

He 27 , Harper will be 26 next year

So, does this strengthen my statement that no team will offer Harper 350 mil or more for 10 yrs, if none would claim Stanton and his 290 mil over next 10 yrs..

Stanton hitting .285 44 HR .374 OBP 1.014 OPS

Yeah, but stanton has a tough medical history. rarely finished a season. He still has alot to prove, but I am aware that all major league players usually clear waivers in August.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That contract would be tough to swallow. Add to it teams do that to test the interest on a player. He would have been yanked back and could have been discussed for a whopper of a return.

I really believe hitting holds lower value right now though. If that was Kershaw and those numbers he would have never gotten through.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That contract would be tough to swallow. Add to it teams do that to test the interest on a player. He would have been yanked back and could have been discussed for a whopper of a return.

I really believe hitting holds lower value right now though. If that was Kershaw and those numbers he would have never gotten through.
Part of why i dont think Harper will get that big of a deal..
Plus
Being he'll just be 26, i think wheather its 7 or 10 yrs, he'll look for options after 4 or 5 yrs to go through free agency again and look to get that last big long term deal..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is not getting near Trout's deal. He is not at that level and that will end up being the measuring stick. 33.25 was his per after his first eligible F/A and I believe that is the measuring block other stud hitters will be measured off of.

Boras can say 40 per but that is unprecedented. Not to mention it has no basis other that Boras' big mouth.

So at the end of the day they will measure them vs Trout's production and subtract for production and add for Econ inflation and that is what teams will base their offers off of.

30 per is a number that is reasonable looking at it realistically

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is not getting near Trout's deal. He is not at that level and that will end up being the measuring stick. 33.25 was his per after his first eligible F/A and I believe that is the measuring block other stud hitters will be measured off of.

Boras can say 40 per but that is unprecedented. Not to mention it has no basis other that Boras' big mouth.

So at the end of the day they will measure them vs Trout's production and subtract for production and add for Econ inflation and that is what teams will base their offers off of.

30 per is a number that is reasonable looking at it realistically
That pretty much what i figured....

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Stanton has 10 / 285 left on his deal and then you have a 10M buyout or 25M PO for age 38 and for that kind of money, there is far too much injury risk and there is far too much position inflexibility that makes me hesitant to commit to Stanton. As I've said earlier, I'd be far more comfortable giving Harper more money since he's younger and I think that you could easily move him to 1B in 2022 as a Rizzo replacement.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
If we trade Schwarber we will regret it, he is the number 3 behind KB and Rizzo, pure talent, i would never dump him

This is BS. Schwarber is so overrated. Should have dealt him last year when he had real value. His value is nothing now. He is barely hitting .200 for cripes sake!!! Fact is we can't trade Schwarber now even if we wanted too. I would love to see Harper in pin stripes but I really don't see the Cubs paying $30M a year for the guy. Where would we play him? We already have about 6 outfielders. I wish Heyward would get hit by a bus. If we can dump his contract then we get Harper. If not its another 6 years of weak grounders and pop-ups. :(