The most amazing thing about Kris Bryant....

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Is his willingness to recognize his weaknesses and attack them with vigor.

I know he doesn't have the RBI and power numbers you want to see him have this year but his K rate, BB rate and ability to hit to all fields over where he was last year and the year his the most impressive thing to me.

He has gone from a 30% k rate to just below 19%. BB rate from 11% to 14%. And I have no reason to see him not improve on those more.

If you look at his hard and medium contact %you can see why his power numbers are down, but as he gets more comfortable with his current approach those numbers should improve.

I am just really excited to see him develop over the next few years.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
We are dealing with the power guy in a lineup and the fans constantly go to a walk rate. Maybe this team would be 10 games ahead of the pack if Bryant had the power numbers, not accepting a walk so often.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think you have to consider the rest of the team though. He is not THE power guy, he is one of many, who hits in the 2 hole.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We are dealing with the power guy in a lineup and the fans constantly go to a walk rate. Maybe this team would be 10 games ahead of the pack if Bryant had the power numbers, not accepting a walk so often.

They said that about another guy in Chicago. The Big Hurt is in the Hall. That would be a great career if Kris does the same. And he could even do more.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They said that about another guy in Chicago. The Big Hurt is in the Hall. That would be a great career if Kris does the same. And he could even do more.

What does the hall of fame have to do with winning divisions and championships? There are plenty of lists out there of hall of famers that never even played in a world series. What is the goal here?

There are plenty of players in the hall of fame that dont really deserve it either.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What does the hall of fame have to do with winning divisions and championships? There are plenty of lists out there of hall of famers that never even played in a world series. What is the goal here?

There are plenty of players in the hall of fame that dont really deserve it either.

Are we seriously complaining about a 3rd year player with a .286/.384/.524 slash, .387 wOBA, 143 wRC+ that will still likely hit close to 30 HR and has yet to hit his prime? If so I think we need some serious adjustment to our perspective. Yikes.

Oh and there are guys in the HoF who probably don't belong but Frank Thomas is decidedly and definitively not one of those.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bryant's also batted 2nd 405 of his 482 PAs for a team who's #1 hitter has hit .230/.316/.427 on the year. Bryant's not the issue here...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Add to all this that he injured his finger a month ago and has been dealing with that.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Are we seriously complaining about a 3rd year player with a .286/.384/.524 slash, .387 wOBA, 143 wRC+ that will still likely hit close to 30 HR and has yet to hit his prime? If so I think we need some serious adjustment to our perspective. Yikes.

Oh and there are guys in the HoF who probably don't belong but Frank Thomas is decidedly and definitively not one of those.

No, you make all good points, mainly because you did not bring up how many times he has walked in your important stats.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Demonizing the BB rate is a red herring. He has drastically lowered his k rate and drastically increased his BB rate. He is potentially transforming from a swing and miss power bat to a contact power bat. That is a major transformation in which K and BB rates need to be included.