Plant based diet in the NFL

PickSix

Liked Posts:
All I know is based around several sister inlaws that brag about being vegans. In that transition, they went from being fat asses to ginormous fat asses. Not getting the proper protein, they continuously plow soy based product into their gob as their body is constantly saying feed me in need of actual protein.

Mitchapalooza

All I know is based around several sister inlaws that brag about being vegans. In that transition, they went from being fat asses to ginormous fat asses. Not getting the proper protein, they continuously plow soy based product into their gob as their body is constantly saying feed me in need of actual protein.

yeah I just started working out in a serious manner in the last few months and didn't realize how much protein I wasn't eating before. Now my diet is a lot of protein and it's doing well so far and I feel great.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

As a friend says, french fries and candy are vegan.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Slight but continual bleeding at 49, which convinced me I had colon cancer so I quit smoking, bleeding got worse, bleeding got really bad when I quit nicotine. I bled continually that whole summer (stayed off cigarettes & nicotine) until I was diagnosed, put on meds and went back on nicotine in ecigs.

I think I had it as a baby but diagnostics weren't there to find it back then, blamed food allergies. I may have been diagnosed at 14, the Dr said "colitis" but not Ulcerative Colitis or IBD, although prescribed Lomotil/Imodium for life. Age 20 Dr said it was all in my head, still no colonoscopy. I ignored some pretty major bleeding issues as hemorrhoids after that but they were all short lived. I learned to ignore the pain blaming it on anxiety "all in my head". Xanax worked on the pain when I got that so I really though it was all in my head (turns out Xanax works on much IBD pain).
All my pain spots were confirmed as inflammation points with a colonoscopy.

At 49 Drs almost blew me off again but I was close enough to the age 50 colonoscopy. It said long term damage that showed treatment (that I never had, marijuana? smoking?) that was stopped. First diagnosed with Crohn's, a week later after upper tests Ulcerative Colitis, then Indeterminate Colitis for a few years. My last colonoscopy changed it back to Crohn's, very inflamed but my GI and I were both expecting to find remission, so there doesn't have to be blood or pain to have inflammation (that was however when I had the radish incident, same spot so inflamed Dr couldn't get scope through).
Blockage pain is horrible and builds fast, you would want to go to the ER it's so bad. Mine was partial so when it blew through the pain relief was fast.

You don't need to see blood but if you do that's reason to definitely go to a Dr.
How long has it been since the diet change? Vegetables can cause pain and dodgy bowels even in normal people. If the pain is always in the same spot that would make it more likely to be inflammation, if it moves I'd blame the vegetables. If you recently quit smoking I'd be thinking UC, and mention that connection to the Dr, not all know about it.
Blood, I'd definitely go to a Dr. The way you describe the pain I'd probably see a Dr. Near age 50, I'd get a colonoscopy early just to see what the pain is about.

I highly recommend Desitin (the baby water barrier diaper rash stuff) around your anus for the cleanout. Desitin and a bidet make it not so bad other than the diarrhea from hell, but just the Desitin without the bidet helps.

I had the pain for a week or two a couple of times before over the years (I'm 40 now) but it always went away and I thought no more of it. This time though it seems to be recurring. I've had 3 "attacks" since the beginning of June, each about 3-4 weeks apart, that have seemed less severe and shorter lasting each time. But I still have really loose movements, and I think I've had some malabsortion issues because I've had some symptoms of anemia (fatigue and whiteness on the inside of my lower eyelids), so I started taking an iron supplement a couple of weeks ago, which seems to have helped somewhat.

Unfortunately now that the bowel issues seem to have relaxed, I've gotten this throat swelling sensation and what I believe to be a swollen node or nodule in my throat. Kinda freaked out it might be a cancer symptom, but with it coinciding with the digestive issues, I'm wondering if I've maybe just been carrying an infection the whole time, as I know lymph nodes can swell for issues with infection and lower red blood cell levels (another anemia issue).

We'll see. The throat stuff doesn't sound like anything related to IBD, so who knows what's going on. I'm going to try and get in tomorrow.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I had one done last year because I hit "that age". Endoscopy too. Not a fun 24 hours.

Mine wasn't bad last time. Of course I was so inflamed everything was being held back.
Otherwise I think being potty trained with these issues has me not think too much about it. Just another day in the life. Except for all the wiping a gallon of laxative causes.

Since we're on the subject, did you know David Garrard and Seantrel Henderson have Crohn's?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Agreed. But that's really the same argument, isn't it?
Essentially... But we're never going to stop humans from overconsumption. Mother nature will kick our ass again when it's time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I had the pain for a week or two a couple of times before over the years (I'm 40 now) but it always went away and I thought no more of it. This time though it seems to be recurring. I've had 3 "attacks" since the beginning of June, each about 3-4 weeks apart, that have seemed less severe and shorter lasting each time. But I still have really loose movements, and I think I've had some malabsortion issues because I've had some symptoms of anemia (fatigue and whiteness on the inside of my lower eyelids), so I started taking an iron supplement a couple of weeks ago, which seems to have helped somewhat.

Unfortunately now that the bowel issues seem to have relaxed, I've gotten this throat swelling sensation and what I believe to be a swollen node or nodule in my throat. Kinda freaked out it might be a cancer symptom, but with it coinciding with the digestive issues, I'm wondering if I've maybe just been carrying an infection the whole time, as I know lymph nodes can swell for issues with infection and lower red blood cell levels (another anemia issue).

We'll see. The throat stuff doesn't sound like anything related to IBD, so who knows what's going on. I'm going to try and get in tomorrow.

Good luck dude. Most likely not too serious if it comes and goes. But it's good to have the assurance to know for sure.

I have annoying pain when I get really gassy but it wont fucking pass. It gets caught like right below my belly and then usually if I lay on my stomach, I get it to pass. But it is psychological in that if I am not thinking about it, it passes normal. But when I start to think about it building up again, it's almost like my intestines stiffen up and don't behave normal. Doctor said that anxiety can really fuck with your intestines and just about anything else for that matter.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I had lymph issues that came up shortly before diagnosis. A mosquito bite causes the nearest lymph node to itch like mad. I've always wondered if that was related to getting worse.

Out of hundreds of IBD people I know online I think there is only one or two with mouth symptoms. A few more with stomach. Many with small intestine problems further up than Ileum. Online communities are not the best judge though because the worse off complain the most.
Mostly Crohn's is Ileum and large. But I'm in the 3% where nicotine (and probably smoking) helps Crohn's so someone has to fill those low percentiles.
If you do get diagnosed and go online to check out the real life experience with the meds, remember the squeaky wheels are online. I'm on Remicade, heard a lot of scary stories about it, know one lady who's getting close to her 60th infusion (I just had lucky 13). About all you can do is try it and hope the scare stories don't happen to you, but it's also good to know what to watch for.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I had lymph issues that came up shortly before diagnosis. A mosquito bite causes the nearest lymph node to itch like mad. I've always wondered if that was related to getting worse.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. Lots of them around here this summer as we had an extremely mild winter and wet spring.

What's weird about the lump is that it's directly where I gave myself a really nasty shaving cut a few weeks before I noticed it. I figure that's coincidence though and that any reaction to something like that would more likely be right under the skin than deeper in the throat.

Last edited:

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:
Good luck dude. Most likely not too serious if it comes and goes. But it's good to have the assurance to know for sure.

I have annoying pain when I get really gassy but it wont fucking pass. It gets caught like right below my belly and then usually if I lay on my stomach, I get it to pass. But it is psychological in that if I am not thinking about it, it passes normal. But when I start to think about it building up again, it's almost like my intestines stiffen up and don't behave normal. Doctor said that anxiety can really fuck with your intestines and just about anything else for that matter.

I am almost certain anxiety lead to my diagnosis. We were planning for our wedding, work was crazy, my dad had open heart surgery and our entire apartment got flooded all within 6 months. Meditation and yoga really help my anxiety. If you can keep your head in check your gut will follow.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This is so 20th century.

Rock based diet is where it's at. Look Ma', all these minerals!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am almost certain anxiety lead to my diagnosis. We were planning for our wedding, work was crazy, my dad had open heart surgery and our entire apartment got flooded all within 6 months. Meditation and yoga really help my anxiety. If you can keep your head in check your gut will follow.

Seems like a common theme. This has been a particularly stressful year for me too.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Did your get hit with the July floods? We had some roads closed for 2 weeks up by us. Crazy stuff.

ridemywheelie

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, consider a low-carb-high-fat diet (LCHF) to be healthy. Many so-called vegetarians or vegans go out and order a salad with salmon and broccoli. That is a perfect LCHF meal, however, I would add plenty of butter for the salmon. Many vegetarians cut out most processed foods, bread, sugars, etc. and their health improves a ton. But is it from avoiding meat or from avoiding many sources of insulin-inducing carbs? There are healthy ways to be vegetarian and unhealthy ways. But IMO pure meat is the most healthy and nutritious food to eat.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice little local farm has opened a small store next to my local bar. All grass fed, properly raised meat. None of the hormones and steroids you get from regular meat. If I do continue with chicken and beef, I'll spend the extra and get it from them.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Nice little local farm has opened a small store next to my local bar. All grass fed, properly raised meat. None of the hormones and steroids you get from regular meat. If I do continue with chicken and beef, I'll spend the extra and get it from them.

We have something like that by us. Unfortunately, it's literally only open for 2 hours every Saturday morning. I always forget to go.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Seems like a common theme. This has been a particularly stressful year for me too.

There was an old "brain gut connection" claim a long time ago that's making a comeback in science.
There are times I don't know whether to take Xanax (anxiety), Zofran (nausea) or Bentyl (gut pain).

Another thing that could be my "treatment that was stopped" was when I lost my job I spent many years only eating what I grew or hunted/fished, I bought very little food. I think of that as my remission decade. There could be something to the increase in IBD numbers related to the crap they call food now, although I think better diagnostic imaging has a lot to do with it too. (Not the GMO causes IBD claims though, IBD was identified long before GMO. In fact my infusion is GMO human/mouse genes. I only crave cheese about once a sqweek.)