Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
per ESPN:
Plant-based diets have spread throughout the NFL. Former Cardinals defensive tackle David Carter adopted a plant-based diet in 2014. According to the animal rights group PETA, at least five players have credited their switch to a plant-based lifestyle to seeing "What the Health." Among the current NFL players known to have converted to either a completely or partially plant-based diet are Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, according to PETA. Rodgers, when asked admits he still "enjoys the occasional meat whistle" and is not sure if he will ever be able to make the complete conversion.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
per ESPN:
Plant-based diets have spread throughout the NFL. Former Cardinals defensive tackle David Carter adopted a plant-based diet in 2014. According to the animal rights group PETA, at least five players have credited their switch to a plant-based lifestyle to seeing "What the Health." Among the current NFL players known to have converted to either a completely or partially plant-based diet are Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, according to PETA. Rodgers, when asked admits he still "enjoys the occasional meat whistle" and is not sure if he will ever be able to make the complete conversion.

I don't think there is a person in the history of the world that only ate plants and lived to tell about it.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think there is a person in the history of the world that only ate plants and lived to tell about it.

Plant based diets aren't literally only eating plants. Fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes, whole grains etc. It basically just means a diet without animal products.

I'm considering going towards it myself, except keeping fish. Meat just isn't necessary. It's not generally good for us, and it's absolutely terrible for the planet.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plant based diets aren't literally only eating plants. Fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes, whole grains etc. It basically just means a diet without animal products.

I'm considering going towards it myself, except keeping fish. Meat just isn't necessary. It's not generally good for us, and it's absolutely terrible for the planet.

Just collect all that gas.
discovery-cow.jpg

200.webp

A nice ribeye on the grill would be hard for me to give up.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I know. It just bugs me when I hear vegetarians say they literally only eat plants. I don't know why it's so hard to just say "I eat a variety of things that don't include animals".

I agree that going to that type of diet has helped a lot of people. Me specifically, it has it's benefits as I feel less bloated and more energized. There are other ways to get enough protein. My main struggle with it though was to actually be hungry enough. Since there are less calories per amount of food, I get full quick.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of veganism for the main part of 99% of vegans have to continually let you know that they are vegans and how much better they are than you lol.

This chick in one of my classes in college came up to me and got mad because I had a leather jacket. 99% sure she was one of those vegan save the world hug a tree fanatics :lmao:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know. It just bugs me when I hear vegetarians say they literally only eat plants. I don't know why it's so hard to just say "I eat a variety of things that don't include animals".

I agree that going to that type of diet has helped a lot of people. Me specifically, it has it's benefits as I feel less bloated and more energized. There are other ways to get enough protein. My main struggle with it though was to actually be hungry enough. Since there are less calories per amount of food, I get full quick.

Yeah, beans and rice together contain all the amino acids for a complete protein, and fish is obviously very good as a protein source with the good omega fats (as long as you're not eating too much mercury).

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
There is nothing wrong with being an omnivore, vegan, or another form of vegetarianism.

The main idea should be a person only lives for so long. They should live with the idea of personal liberty to eat the things that they enjoy as long as it supports your goals. You should never demonize any one thing within diet (meat, carbs, fats, etc), but rather identify poor habits that are making your wellness move in the wrong direction. When you do, its important to develop impactful strategies for how to replace those poor habits with better (not perfect) habits with a gradual process.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jonathon Toews has been on a plant based diet the last couple of years and has said he is going back to meat. His hiatus from meat coincides with poor on ice production. Hard to say if that caused it but will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Hi, welcome to Crohn's disease. The majority of us don't do well with even small amounts of vegetables. Judging from the apple that flew through me in 4 hours I'd say your diet would eventually kill me or at least result in multiple hospitalizations. Then there was that radish that plugged my ileum that was fun.
In other words: We are not one size fits all. What's good for you may be terrible for me. Vegan from college had to go to eating meat because of a completely different disease that has nothing to do with digestion.
Likewise I know people who do better without meat.
So why is there a need to claim what we as individuals do is what everyone must do?

Unless you eat rocks "a plant based diet devoid of animal products" is about eating everything you list unless there is some new category of things suitable to be food I haven't been told about. Unless you're talking some lab grown meat, which as far as I know is not there yet, but as meat I would class that as animal it was just never alive.

As for the planet, let me guess, it takes 400000000000000000000000000000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat and that's supposed to be bad. Yet it takes the same 400000000000000000000000000000 gallons of water to produce the 10 pounds of plant matter you need to eat to replace that pound of meat but that's good.
Guess what, you're drinking dinosaur urine. They weighed a lot more than a cow does and that water does not get replaced in our ecosystem. The wheels on the bus go round and round.
And can't forget about cow farts. Because vegans aren't just as gassy. And that plant matter rotting in any other way doesn't produce the exact same gasses.

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:
Hi, welcome to Crohn's disease. The majority of us don't do well with even small amounts of vegetables. Judging from the apple that flew through me in 4 hours I'd say your diet would eventually kill me or at least result in multiple hospitalizations. Then there was that radish that plugged my ileum that was fun.
In other words: We are not one size fits all. What's good for you may be terrible for me. Vegan from college had to go to eating meat because of a completely different disease that has nothing to do with digestion.
So why is there a need to claim what we as individuals do is what everyone must do?

Unless you eat rocks "a plant based diet devoid of animal products" is about eating everything you list unless there is some new category of things suitable to be food I haven't been told about. Unless you're talking some lab grown meat, which as far as I know is not there yet, but as meat I would class that as animal it was just never alive.

As for the planet, let me guess, it takes 400000000000000000000000000000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat and that's supposed to be bad. Yet it takes the same 400000000000000000000000000000 gallons of water to produce the 10 pounds of plant matter you need to eat to replace that pound of meat but that's good.
Guess what, you're drinking dinosaur urine. They weighed a lot more than a cow does and that water does not get replaced in our ecosystem. The wheels on the bus go round and round.
And can't forget about cow farts. Because vegans aren't just as gassy. And that plant matter rotting in any other way doesn't produce the exact same gasses.

I was diagnosed with UC last year, the reason I made the switch was because I have found lots of evidence that shows that a vegan diet is very effective at remission.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I can go without red meat and chicken. But no fish, cheese, and Eggs? That would make life miserable.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's definitely healthier, and likely for the greater good. However, bacon-wrapped shrimp is da bomb :). In all seriousness, there is some research out there which suggests that it was the higher energy and fat content in meat that allowed an earlier homo-sapien model to stop wasting so much time and energy gathering food, which allowed the brain to grow. Of course that was then, this is now. I could be talked into a meatless diet.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Is there? I certainly didn't make such a claim. Obviously if you have a health condition you have to modify your diet to what works. I don't do well with apples either. Had a similar or worse reaction with sugar free gum, and I figured sorbitol was the culprit. Who knows.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I was diagnosed with UC last year, the reason I made the switch was because I have found lots of evidence that shows that a vegan diet is very effective at remission.

And a lot that say it doesn't and some that even says it makes it worse. Most say diet doesn't matter beyond short term, eat what works.
A vegan activist with UC/colectomy I know is good for pushing the studies that support veganism while ignoring the others.
The problem with studies is they ignore individuals. I was diagnosed when I quit smoking. According to study claims smoking caused my Crohn's because of 36%. According to my life smoking helped me like it does UC (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2014383/), which puts me into about a 3% category so I don't exist. Between bias of the author/funding and ignoring outliers medical science has taken a nose dive lately. When you get into studies about diet or smoking you really need to read between the lines because you can't know the mind of the author.

Curious how you made the switch. Was it all at once or gradual?
I'm an omnivore that goes by seasons. I find slow introduction works good. Not sure what is up with the apples. I have 7 apple trees so it's not like apples are a new food.