Plant based diet in the NFL

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For what it's worth, consider a low-carb-high-fat diet (LCHF) to be healthy. Many so-called vegetarians or vegans go out and order a salad with salmon and broccoli. That is a perfect LCHF meal, however, I would add plenty of butter for the salmon. Many vegetarians cut out most processed foods, bread, sugars, etc. and their health improves a ton. But is it from avoiding meat or from avoiding many sources of insulin-inducing carbs? There are healthy ways to be vegetarian and unhealthy ways. But IMO pure meat is the most healthy and nutritious food to eat.

They found that every 50 gram portion of this meat............
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...27382/&usg=AFQjCNFjYb-VBZKuAgD5sm8YXgY1pniudQ

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If I started a plant based diet, how many years would I add to my life? Serious question. I've always been in the 'Well, I'm going to die anyways so might as well enjoy what I eat' spectrum. Of course, everything in moderation. As I've gotten older, I tend to eat more seafood/chicken, but I do love some beef.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I started a plant based diet, how many years would I add to my life? Serious question. I've always been in the 'Well, I'm going to die anyways so might as well enjoy what I eat' spectrum. Of course, everything in moderation. As I've gotten older, I tend to eat more seafood/chicken, but I do love some beef.

Same here.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
well ya know earth is 70% + water... desalination plants..pipelines.... dat be mo jobs.. and combat so called rising sea levels

can turn desert into a forest.. mo jobs, mo food, mo animals

[video=youtube;xMWPsVkW2TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWPsVkW2TY[/video]

the powers dat be want less ppl for easier control... dat it..

thanks....this was very informative.

supra8795

Liked Posts:
Not gonna lie, I ate a bunch of broccoli yesterday at work, hour and a half later shit it all out.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So you are saying you would rather enjoy a pepperoni pizza from Lou Malnati's or a rack of ribs from Miller's Pub and die at 80 than make it to 90 and be eating a tofu birthday cake in a diaper while being serenaded that family you don't recognize and the staff at the nursing home that are going to steal your wedding ring and worldly possessions as you sleep drooling onto your stained unchanged sheets?

You crazy!!

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keto is great if you want to lose weight or cut fat. Pro athletes need more carbs than the keto diet allows but your typical person would do just fine following a keto diet and feel great. You can also do a keto hybrid, carbing up before a big workout and follow the keto plan the rest of the times.

Fat is not bad, too much fat and carbs are what is bad and this is what the typical American living off of processed foods consume and that plus sedentary lifestyles is why we are an obese nation.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So you are saying you would rather enjoy a pepperoni pizza from Lou Malnati's or a rack of ribs from Miller's Pub and die at 80 than make it to 90 and be eating a tofu birthday cake in a diaper while being serenaded that family you don't recognize and the staff at the nursing home that are going to steal your wedding ring and worldly possessions as you sleep drooling onto your stained unchanged sheets?

You crazy!!

I tend to live life on the wild side.

Mitchapalooza

Keto is great if you want to lose weight or cut fat. Pro athletes need more carbs than the keto diet allows but your typical person would do just fine following a keto diet and feel great. You can also do a keto hybrid, carbing up before a big workout and follow the keto plan the rest of the times.

Fat is not bad, too much fat and carbs are what is bad and this is what the typical American living off of processed foods consume and that plus sedentary lifestyles is why we are an obese nation.
Yeah I hate when people say fat and carbs are bad for you. They aren't. But if you eat an excessive amount of them, then yes they are bad. That goes for a lot of things too. People freak out thinking the only way to lose weight is no carb diets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I cut dairy and breads a few months ago and will never go back. Meat stays on the menu though..

df27040ff077e1995a1bc2e3fb29019a.jpg

napo55

Liked Posts:
most of the studies showing that vegetarian or vegan diets are healthier then omnivore diets are massively flawed.

If I decided to go vegan and my diet mostly consisted of, French fries, onion rings, potato chips, Doritos, fried jalapeño, shit ton of candy etc. Do you think that would be a healthy diet? most would say no. now what if there was millions of vegans and vegetarians that stuck to my diet, do you still think the studies would show how healthy being a vegan would be when you have millions of unhealthy vegan diets? Here is the problem, throw in cheesburgers and that is what millions of omnivores eat. So you have millions of unhealthy eating omnivores bringing down the average lol

But if you want a real study just look at India. It has the largest non meat eating population in the world. The healthcare system in India is on par with the united states.
Cost of heath care India is ranked 35th compared to 41st for the US
Quality of health care is ranked 28th for India and 23rd for the US

the average life expectancy is..

MEN
India - 64
US - 76

Women
India - 68
US - 81

and that is even with comparing obesity where the US is at the top of the list with fatties (Bears fans) ranked at #5 compared to 158 for India.

so what have we learned here today boys and girls? eat meat you will live longer..

Japan has the longest life expectancies in the world, and the Japanese eat a lot of vegetables and far less red meat. When Japanese people emigrate to the U.S. and change their diets to our meat dominated diet, their life spans are substantially reduced.

As I said, this is an individual choice, and if people want to eat a lot of red meat, it's their decision.

Reactions: Myk

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Japan has the longest life expectancies in the world, and the Japanese eat a lot of vegetables and far less red meat. When Japanese people emigrate to the U.S. and change their diets to our meat dominated diet, their life spans are substantially reduced.

As I said, this is an individual choice, and if people want to eat a lot of red meat, it's their decision.

This is why I never understood why people say that white rice is a bad carb. 99.9% of Japanese eat white rice with every meal of every day. It is their main starchy carb. And they are almost all lean.

Reactions: Myk

AussieBear

This is why I never understood why people say that white rice is a bad carb. 99.9% of Japanese eat white rice with every meal of every day. It is their main starchy carb. And they are almost all lean.

white rice aint be bad to those who grews up on its.. moderatain dough.. muricans eat to full.. japanese dont..

supra8795

Liked Posts:
My neighbor across the street is 93 years old. He sits out in his screened in porch and drinks beer all day. He was telling me one time at a doctors appointment the doc asked him how many beers in a day he drinks, his response, as many as I can. lol He aint no vegan.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I am more attuned to the KEto diet because my wife has an auto-immune disease. Eating meats, fruits and vegetables and avoiding grains. Grains and nightshade veggies cause inflammation and could make my wifes condition miserable for days.

I think the anti-inflammatory diet has more health benefits than a plant based one. As inflammation is the primary cause for heart disease and not meat. Most vegans and vegetarians have causation backwards for health risks.

Meat is very healthy if you don't combine it with grains and other carb heavy foods that can tear up your veins and allow bad cholesterol to clog them.

I'm glad I haven't noticed any (much) diet issues. That's why I freaked when the Dr suggested Celiac's but IBD was OK, what I was used to living but with a name. A gluten free diet with major ramifications for a minor slip would be hell for me. After 49 years of eating more than I want just having to watch how much I eat hasn't been easy.
If I become diabetic I'm just turning it over to a nutritionist. White starchy carbs are my safe food when times are bad. I know a diabetic IBD'er who does well with starches, her Dr is like do what you gotta do, figure it out along the way.

If I was to limit diet it would have to be one of the high meat diets. (Although I hate the name Paleo, no, early man ate grain, archeology proves that.)

Well that's a different case, they did find that trans fats are essentially poison to the body in that they aren't processed and cause one of issues (aka what is in margarine). Even though I agree with your sentiment that funding plays a role in some studies I'd argue science has not taken a nose dive. Just look at all the backlash towards marijuana that has been going on for decades, yet there is little to any negative scientific studies showing cannabis is harmful.

I guess you hadn't heard. Once laws were passed against transfat, Oops, we were wrong again, go back to margarine. I trust nothing any more.

MMJ is another one where the research Dr's who are supposed to protect me fall into spouting propaganda.
"Marijuana works to suppress symptoms but we can't find any evidence it causes healing so we recommend against it."
Yet they give me Zofran to suppress nausea, Bentyl to suppress pain, Remicade to suppress inflammation. Without a cure all they can do is suppress symptoms.

And most gluten sensitive people, not gluten allergic people, are sensitive to it because of other proteins like gluten in grains.

Be careful with that. Non-gluten sensitive people can become gluten sensitive by going gluten free.

Good points. Like cigarettes, recent studies say red meat will cause cancer. Keep in mind the healthiest fish are wild caught (cost more $$$ though). I just heard some distressing news about farm raised salmon.

Note that cigarettes are probably the reason I avoided meds that cause cancer for 49 years. Even with smoking we are individuals.
Quit smoking and get runaway Ulcerative Colitis and the disease itself is a cancer risk, yet people with UC are at a lower risk for lung cancer.

India is full of some of the direst poverty and millions of people don't have access to clean water or sanitation. Nobody is saying vegan diets are a must so I don't know why you're being so sensitive and defensive over it. But no, eating meat is not why Americans live longer than Indians. There's far, far more to life expectancy than that.

By calling it "vegan" are you saying it's a must, healthy or not. Vegan is political, vegetarian is diet.

I think like salt I don't take in fat because of faulty intestines. Again diet is individual not one size fits all.
The anti-salt craze that's going on would make a lot of people I know sick because they don't have the proper part of their intestines to take up salt, they are told to pile it on. Many I know don't get enough B12 because the part that takes that up is gone. Just like they can be removed they can not work.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
white rice aint be bad to those who grews up on its.. moderatain dough.. muricans eat to full.. japanese dont..

That and we like to fry everything and then drown it in teriyaki sauce. I think most people don't realize how much sugar is in that stuff.

Washington

Liked Posts:
As a family that spends lots of time in woods hunting, meat is a standard in my diet and I'd have it no other way. I spent lots of time on the water too and fish are a staple with my family also.