IST: Cubs vs Blue Jays

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
WEll thanks Rizzo, but Zobrist just had to make it so Montero has thrown out 3 out of 13 runners since being released.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Surprised nobody pointed out that Schwarber didn't have any SO's today.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Happ filled in for Schwarbs perfectly at the plate.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
During broadcast, JD mentioned that Baez and Mallee had some talk. Anyone know what that wss? I only heard a partial on a replay.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez splits are nice for the second half. Also, he has excelled with runner on in any position. He is still 24. Im sure we will here more people saying we are trading him in the off season. That play at short is a good as you will see. I think that was Almora in CF and his hands were just on his head in amazement.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/32127/javier-baez

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez splits are nice for the second half. Also, he has excelled with runner on in any position. He is still 24. Im sure we will here more people saying we are trading him in the off season. That play at short is a good as you will see. I think that was Almora in CF and his hands were just on his head in amazement.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/32127/javier-baez

He is improving vs RHP but is pales vs his LHP split. His over all slash was better last year but injury has forced him into more AB's vs RHP. He is almost at last years AB's with a month to play.

He still doesn't take walks. 19 matches his HR's. Which was the case last year. 15 BB to 14 HR's.

So in general he is getting some big swing contact that goes into orbit and he is the same guy that does not accept walks and is more flash than substance.

If he ever became disciplined as a player he would be a all star with his talent. Honestly it is in his approach. He tends to be a showboat and that hurts him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
During broadcast, JD mentioned that Baez and Mallee had some talk. Anyone know what that wss? I only heard a partial on a replay.

Got to see the last innning on the rebroadcast, Blondie hottie interviewed him after the game, he just said he asked what to expect from the scouting report and apparently the answer was down and in.

On the radio, they were saying he was going back for a pinch hitter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs claimed rene rivera off waivers from mets..
He a RH defensive catcher, not much with bat..

My only guess is they want Caratini to play more these next few weeks til call ups..

I hope it isnt cause they expect Contreras to be out longer then expected (into playoffs) and they prefer a vet backup over Caratini there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs claimed rene rivera off waivers from mets..
He a RH defensive catcher, not much with bat..

My only guess is they want Caratini to play more these next few weeks til call ups..

I hope it isnt cause they expect Contreras to be out longer then expected (into playoffs) and they prefer a vet backup over Caratini there..

Makes little sense. Jake and Hendricks had good games with Caratini. If anything it has to do with catcher knowledge of hitters in a play off drive.

The wholeAB's bit makes no sense. So that is not a legit excuse. Season is ready to expand rosters so....

I really don't agree with the move myself. Caratini was holding his own.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Makes little sense. Jake and Hendricks had good games with Caratini. If anything it has to do with catcher knowledge of hitters in a play off drive.

The wholeAB's bit makes no sense. So that is not a legit excuse. Season is ready to expand rosters so....

I really don't agree with the move myself. Caratini was holding his own.

The move makes plenty of sense. If Avila or Caratini get hurt the cubs don't have another catcher. More over, neither Avila nor Caratini is particularly strong defensively. Rivera is very solid defensively. If you worry is about Caratini getting sent down I wouldn't worry much. Rosters expand in roughly 2 weeks at which point going 3 catchers isn't really a down side.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Guess who umpiring behind the plate today...

First 2 batters (lefty), jays pitcher threw 10 pitches high and away , 3 were called strikes.. 11th pitch was low and in Schwarber swung n popped up...

So, guy didnt throw 1 strike
Yet he got 1 on (walk) and 1 out

chibears55

Liked Posts:
1 lousy run out of all that...

2 walks HBP and a single

Guy couldnt find the strike zone..

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Swinging at the first pitch. Attempting to lay a bunt down with 2 strikes.

Seems legit.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
After blowing away a great opportunity to score a bunch of runs in first..

This game got a bad outcome in the makings..

SMDH

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Happ got some work to do to cut down on the Ks, but i still can see him being the everyday 2Bmen next year..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It's still nuts to me mlb.com had a 50 grade power on Happ. Even prior to this year he had good iso. To me he always looked more like a 60 than a 50. If you wanted to go conservative you could argue 55 I suppose. But that's his 27th HR in just over 400 PAs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Happ got some work to do to cut down on the Ks, but i still can see him being the everyday 2Bmen next year..

He would be having a rookie of the year type of season if he was full time. Not saying he is better than the front runner but the numbers are on par with past winners. Front runners in both leagues are on MVP type seasons.

Honestly for a rookie who was rushed he has performed far better than should have been expected. Of the current wave of talent he is the #2 rookie in results. Concidering how they have had 4 top 10 hitting prospects and add 3 more in the top 50 that says something.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is improving vs RHP but is pales vs his LHP split. His over all slash was better last year but injury has forced him into more AB's vs RHP. He is almost at last years AB's with a month to play.

He still doesn't take walks. 19 matches his HR's. Which was the case last year. 15 BB to 14 HR's.

So in general he is getting some big swing contact that goes into orbit and he is the same guy that does not accept walks and is more flash than substance.

If he ever became disciplined as a player he would be a all star with his talent. Honestly it is in his approach. He tends to be a showboat and that hurts him.

No substance? He has over a .900 ops with runners on. Lol oh and show me how many ss make that play last night? No substance? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He would be having a rookie of the year type of season if he was full time. Not saying he is better than the front runner but the numbers are on par with past winners. Front runners in both leagues are on MVP type seasons.

Honestly for a rookie who was rushed he has performed far better than should have been expected. Of the current wave of talent he is the #2 rookie in results. Concidering how they have had 4 top 10 hitting prospects and add 3 more in the top 50 that says something.
Schwarber rookie season....

273 PA 57Hits 16HR 43RBI 52R 36BB 77K
.246Avg .355OBP .842OPS

Happ rookie season so far...

296 PA 66Hits 18HR 44Rbi 40R 27BB 89K
.250Avg .320OBP .825OPS

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Baez is on fire this month.....

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk