Jay Cutler > Ryan Tannehill

predict Cutler's season in Miami

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
can we just ban the word Cutler and those that start posts about him? he's not on the fucking team anymore. take this shit to a dolphins forum

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares. Trubisky Era is almost here.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
When I was watching the game from the Redit stream in the chat box all of the others were saying Cutler is the better QB.. He has a much better long ball. WIth TE Julius Thomas in Gase's system and Parker , who is basically a faster Jeffery, think Jay will have his best year. I even think Ajayi give Cutler something he hasn't had. This is probally the best team Jay has been on. The Oline is a wildcard though. They need to get the Guards playing better.

What are you going to do when Cutler throws for 20 TDs, 16INTs, and has 7 fumbles again this year?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
a-great-bounce-break.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait a minute Cutlers best year was
3659 yards 21TD 1I INT 92.3 Rate

Their Offensive line is
LT Tunsil LG Ted Larsen C Pouncy RG Bushrod RT J James

THat is a lot better then what jay had for the majority of the time with the Bears. I'm not saying it is top 5 or even top 10 but at least a top 20. It all depends on Tunsil takeing the next step and Pouncy and Busrods health... Plus then also added the Best blocking TE from 2016..

And Tannehill already had 2 better than that. Cutler also didn't play 16 games that season. In fact Cutler hasn't played 16 games since 2009 and that year we lost our chance to extend the season when he got hurt in the playoffs. Jay has been injured enough to miss a game (or at least an important 1/2) every year he's been a Bear. Tannehill had played every game for 4 full seasons before his injury last year. People talk about Cutler having that long ball but in his best year with Gase, it disappeared and is what helped his stats. Can't have that argument both ways and not that he's super accurate with it anyway. He simply has a strong arm.

Tannehill>Glennon>Cutler>Hoyer. That said, I would expect whichever of those QBs that is playing under Gase to have the best passer rating. I could be wrong about Glennon with the available sample size but I expect more than we got from Hoyer's dink and dunk, can't score play and Jay's sporadicness.

I voted same in the poll but I expect Miami to lose more games this year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What are you going to do when Cutler throws for 20 TDs, 16INTs, and has 7 fumbles again this year?

He probably won't be healthy long enough to achieve those goals. That said, I really do wish him well. I just don't see him as an upgrade. Tannehill took sacks at a rate that was just over 2 per game. I suspect Jay will take more and lose more than 3 fumbles which would be Tannehill's projection from the last 3 years. Tannehill also drops them a lot but doesn't completely lose that many. Jay loses 1/2 his fumbles. Ryan about 1/3.

Ruff Ruff

Liked Posts:
Those who voted for him paid their final dues with one final lick on his left testicle. Seven year long old habits cant be broken overnight.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
When I was watching the game from the Redit stream in the chat box all of the others were saying Cutler is the better QB.. He has a much better long ball. WIth TE Julius Thomas in Gase's system and Parker , who is basically a faster Jeffery, think Jay will have his best year. I even think Ajayi give Cutler something he hasn't had. This is probally the best team Jay has been on. The Oline is a wildcard though. They need to get the Guards playing better.

So you're gonna tell me that this Dolphin offense is better than Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte?? No.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So people actually believe that Cutler is gonna throw for over 4000 yards, 27 TD's, and under 12 INT's behind a God awful offensive line coming out of retirement??? I'll take that bet!

Only three quarterbacks had a higher overall accuracy percentage than Tannehill last year, Sam Bradford, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. His numbers aren’t warped by a reliance on shorter throws either. Tannehill was the third-most accurate passer on throws that didn’t travel further than five yards downfield and the eighth-best passer on throws that travelled further than five yards downfield.

Tannehill’s 78.26 percent rating on throws to the 16-20 yard range is notable for a couple reasons.

Firstly, he is only slightly less accurate to that area of the field than Carson Wentz is on throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage. That’s outrageous. Secondly, 22.38 percent (12th in the league) of Tannehill’s throws went into the 11-20 yard range last year. He allows the offense to attack the intermediate level of the defense on a consistent basis.

Intermediate routes are the biggest challenge for quarterbacks to live off of because there is a higher likelihood that a defender is waiting just out of sight to break on the ball before it reaches the intended target. Tannehill being top 10 in accuracy behind the line of scrimmage, in the 1-5 yard range, at one of the intermediate levels and on deep throws means that the defense is being picked apart at every level of the field.

Opposing teams can’t squash the field or sit on routes against Tannehill. They also can’t sit back in coverage and hope for him to miss the easier throws underneath. He keeps the whole field in play on every snap.

Part of the reason Tannehill’s numbers have never reflected his accuracy has been the state of his receiving corps. Unless Davante Parker takes a big step forward the Dolphins won’t have a receiving corps that can carry a subpar starting quarterback. They’re more likely to pull him down with their inconsistency. Tannehill has led the league in interceptions that weren’t his fault in each of the past two seasons. His receivers have been a big part of that.

Turning the ball over isn’t something Tannehill has been prone to over the course of his career. Even while playing under constant pressure and creating big-play opportunities for his teammates, Tannehill has consistently avoided interceptable passes.

Last year he threw an interceptable pass once every 25.93 attempts. That means 3.86 percent of his passes were interceptable, the same number as Drew Brees. Only 12 quarterbacks had a better interceptable pass rate than Tannehill and he was more than two attempts higher than the league average of 23.76 attempts.

These numbers aren’t coming in a system that babies the quarterback. Tannehill has played in three systems in his career. Adam Gase asked him to throw less often because of Jay Ajayi’s emergence and because the previous regime was incomprehensibly put off by running the ball. Throwing the ball less often doesn’t mean a reduced role. Throwing 20 passes to the line of scrimmage each game results in more attempts but less responsibility.

In Gase’s offense, Tannehill threw the ball further than 10 yards downfield 32.58 percent of the time, 17th out of 33 charted quarterbacks. That’s a good spot to be in to create a balanced passing attack.

Without Tannehill the Dolphins would likely become even more reliant on screens. If there’s one legitimate criticism of Gase it’s that he’s overly committed to throwing screen passes. 13.62 percent of Tannehill’s passes were screens last year, second-highest rate in the NFL, but only 8.01 percent of his yards came on screens, 18th-best in the NFL. If the Dolphins became an offense that was reliant on Jay Ajayi and their receivers they wouldn’t win many games.

This write up is fantastic.

Cutler in Miami is going to be be a downgrade. As slick willy pointed out, Marshall Forte and Jeffrey here was the best chance Cutler ever had or will have.
He will function in some facets of the miami offense as well as Tannehill did (screens, maybe short routes) and fall short in the intermediate/ deep range with an uptick in turnovers.

Cutler led dolphins vs. the pats may just be the nastiest games in the NFL this year. Both games with tannehill last year one of the a garrapollo game) were absolute laughers till NE took their foot off the gas. It is going to be a far bigger challenge to play them this year even at full strength.