IST: Cubs vs Pirates

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So I watched the the replay of Baez swiping home. Perhaps I don't know the rule, but how does Baez get credit for a steal and how does the catcher not get an error on that play?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So I watched the the replay of Baez swiping home. Perhaps I don't know the rule, but how does Baez get credit for a steal and how does the catcher not get an error on that play?

Pretty sure if you get caught in a run down and advance you're also given a steal rather than the defense given an error. So think it's just that. Pirates did nothing "wrong." Baez just out played them

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure if you get caught in a run down and advance you're also given a steal rather than the defense given an error. So think it's just that. Pirates did nothing "wrong." Baez just out played them

Uhm..Stewart was a moron. Baez is half way down the line and the catcher sees him coming and instead making a move first toward third he just throws the ball to third and it's an easy swipe of home.

It's not a smart play by Baez. It's a mental error on the catcher for not doing his job correctly. There was no run down. There wasn't even a second throw or a single step taken by anyone toward Baez.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It was terribly played by the D. But the only way to score it is a steal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Uhm..Stewart was a moron. Baez is half way down the line and the catcher sees him coming and instead making a move first toward third he just throws the ball to third and it's an easy swipe of home.

It's not a smart play by Baez. It's a mental error on the catcher for not doing his job correctly. There was no run down. There wasn't even a second throw or a single step taken by anyone toward Baez.

Well what do you call it if Lester looks over at a guy with a huge lead and never throws? Is that an "error?" You're effectively scoring it the same way. Whether or not it's smart or bad play by baez/pirates respectively doesn't factor in to how you score the play. The pirates catcher didn't throw the ball away so you can't give him an error. I suppose you could argue for defensive indifference like they sometimes do in late games where a guy steals second with no throw but the catcher did throw to third.

Whatever you want to call what happened it's not an error as defined in mlb scoring. It's certainly not a good play on PIT's part but it is what it is.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

It isn't essentially different than a LHP throwing to 1B immediately as R1 takes off to 2B. It's a stolen base regardless.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It isn't essentially different than a LHP throwing to 1B immediately as R1 takes off to 2B. It's a stolen base regardless.

I saw a different video angle that showed Baez thru the entire process. You can see the move Baez makes. I agree it's a SB.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Pirates defense was indifferent to a tying run scoring in a pivotal series in which their playoff hopes for the season were on the line?

Makes sense.

No one will ever accuse you of reading being your strong suit.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I saw a different video angle that showed Baez thru the entire process. You can see the move Baez makes. I agree it's a SB.
Here's the thing. The play looked like a safety squeeze that didn't happen. Baez was caught too far off the bag. When the throw went to 3B, he just had to instinctively head to the next base, knowing he was out otherwise. IME, this isn't something trainable either. What Baez also did as a base runner was head slightly over to the fair side of the line. By that time the 3B had no good option of a throwing lane and moving to create one would have taken too much time. It was more of a great play by Javy than it was a bad one by Pitt.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
No one will ever accuse you of reading being your strong suit.

Actually, I just finished a new book yesterday: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. You should try it, you might finally learn something.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Actually, I just finished a new book yesterday: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. You should try it, you might finally learn something.
Yeah, huge pass on Neil. But feel free to pick up the NASB version of the Bible. It could keep you from rebelling.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Here's the thing. The play looked like a safety squeeze that didn't happen. Baez was caught too far off the bag. When the throw went to 3B, he just had to instinctively head to the next base, knowing he was out otherwise. IME, this isn't something trainable either. What Baez also did as a base runner was head slightly over to the fair side of the line. By that time the 3B had no good option of a throwing lane and moving to create one would have taken too much time. It was more of a great play by Javy than it was a bad one by Pitt.

I would disagree with your final statement, but like I said, it's a steal based on Baez move.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yeah, huge pass on Neil. But feel free to pick up the NASB version of the Bible. It could keep you from rebelling.

I'll stick with the KJV. I prefer my fairy tales well-written.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
moving on, The Pirates in all essence are now done.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez did the same move last year. The guy is just Houdini on the base paths. His instincts are incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Baez did the same move last year. The guy is just Houdini on the base paths. His instincts are incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got lucky. Any catcher takes a lousy step or two to third has Baez dead to rights.