Post-Season Roster Discussion

DanTown

Liked Posts:
This thread isn't a jinx about making the playoffs or not; this is obviously just a discussion about who will or should be on the roster. So let's discuss

Locks
Hitters
Locks (11)
Contreras, Avila, Rizzo, Bryant, LaStella, Baez, Zobrist, Schwarber, Jay, Happ, Heyward

Pitchers
Locks (11)
Lester, Arrieta, Quintana, Davis, Strop, Edwards, Duensing, Uehera, Montgomery, Wilson, Rondon,

4th starter (1)
Hendricks, Lackey

Questionable - Injury (1)
Russell

Probable (1)
Almora

Bubble (0)
Martin, Caratini, Rivera, Maples, Grimm

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rondon is far from a lock. He is sporting a 7.04 ERA post All star game. Uehera is at 7.11. Edwards 5.21

Locks are

Duesing: 1.23 ERA
Montgomery: 2.50
Davis: 2.70
Wilson: 3.27
Strop: 3.93

After that you have to look at sept's results. See who is hot and not.

Now Maples shouldn't be in there. Post Sept 1 call up.

But looking at Duesing and Davis they should be the guys that they should offer contracts to vs worrying about a TOR.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
3. All other players on a club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster), MLB 60-day DL, and Military List prior to midnight (Eastern) on August 31st are automatically placed on a club's Post-Season Eligibility List and are eligible to be included on a post-season series Active List (25-man roster), but*a player on an MLB 60-day DL who otherwise would be eligible to be included on a Post-Season Eligibility List is NOT eligible to be included*until the player has spent at least 60 days on the DL, and a player on the MLB 60-day DL is*NOT eligible to play in a post-season series until the player has spent at least 60 days on the DL AND*the player has been reinstated from the 60-day DL.**

Maples is eligible for postseason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Assuming Russell returns in 3 weeks..

Contreras
Avila
Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant
Hayward
Jay
Schwarber
Happ
Almora
Zobrist
LaStella

Lester
Arrieta
Quintana
Hendricks

Montgomery
Duensing
Wilson
Rondon
Strop
Edwards
Davis

Uehara or Maples will be 12 guy...

Lackey is out unless Maddon/Epstein feels he can be better use in pen over Rondon Uehara or Maples...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3. All other players on a club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster), MLB 60-day DL, and Military List prior to midnight (Eastern) on August 31st are automatically placed on a club's Post-Season Eligibility List and are eligible to be included on a post-season series Active List (25-man roster), but*a player on an MLB 60-day DL who otherwise would be eligible to be included on a Post-Season Eligibility List is NOT eligible to be included*until the player has spent at least 60 days on the DL, and a player on the MLB 60-day DL is*NOT eligible to play in a post-season series until the player has spent at least 60 days on the DL AND*the player has been reinstated from the 60-day DL.**

Maples is eligible for postseason

9/1/17 Chicago Cubs activated RHP Justin Grimm from the 10-day disabled list.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs designated RHP Jose Rosario for assignment.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs designated RHP Seth Frankoff for assignment.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs released RHP Jose Rosario.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs selected the contract of SS Mike Freeman from Iowa Cubs.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs selected the contract of RHP Dillon Maples from Iowa Cubs.
9/1/17 Chicago Cubs recalled Victor Caratini from Iowa Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't see 8/31 there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also Maples was not on the 40 man. That is why they had to release players. Freeman was on it previous. Grimm, and Catrini. To put Maples on the 40 man they had to release players.

Now I wouldn't hang my hat on Maples yet. Yes he is the new hot prospect but he is not tested vs this level. Add to it he has his flaws still. I like him called up so he is a part of this but honestly he is not going to be in high pressure situations at this point. If they had a 4 run lead he might have been pushed into duty. But a 2 run game he sat. So don't expect Joe to put him into those situations until he proves he can get outs first.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Also Maples was not on the 40 man. That is why they had to release players. Freeman was on it previous. Grimm, and Catrini. To put Maples on the 40 man they had to release players.

Now I wouldn't hang my hat on Maples yet. Yes he is the new hot prospect but he is not tested vs this level. Add to it he has his flaws still. I like him called up so he is a part of this but honestly he is not going to be in high pressure situations at this point. If they had a 4 run lead he might have been pushed into duty. But a 2 run game he sat. So don't expect Joe to put him into those situations until he proves he can get outs first.
FYI
He is eligible, i tweeted the cubs beat writer Jesse Rogers..figured he would know if anyone..

He says he eligible and it didn't matter when he was added to 40..
My guess then is anyone in their system before Sept 1 would be eligible then

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Not hanging my hat on him and no doubt he'll be inserted slowly..
But
He the type of reliever that if he successful and has solid clean appearances this month..
He could be an option with his young fresh strong arm in playoffs..

Not saying this will 100% happen with him but I've seen plenty of rookie relievers that came on late in season and added to P.O. roster and had pretty good success there..

So, we'll see

CSF77

Liked Posts:
090217_chc_bullpen_dance.gif

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Our bullpen is so unbelievably bad that I think they are going to have no choice but to put a starter in the pen. I don't trust anyone to get to Davis.