2017 Fantasy Advice Thread

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I know you don't usually expect a lot from a TE week to week, but Rudolph has been a serious disappointment so far. I think with Bradford coming back soon, that might change, but do you think it's worth maybe shopping him? Don't want to sell low necessarily, but I could use a better TE.

Not sure you would get much right now for him. You'd have to find someone whose TE is even more disappointing. He's TE23 in my league, so honestly can't imagine he's any better than someone I could grab off the waiver (Jesse James, Cameron Brate as examples available on my waivers).

I would rather hang on to him until he has a big game, then shop him.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not sure you would get much right now for him. You'd have to find someone whose TE is even more disappointing. He's TE23 in my league, so honestly can't imagine he's any better than someone I could grab off the waiver (Jesse James, Cameron Brate as examples available on my waivers).

I would rather hang on to him until he has a big game, then shop him.

Yea, I think the issue is, like I said, I would be selling low. The argument is that he'll probably get more looks once Bradford is back I bet, I just can't see Thielen and Diggs continuing to be outputting as much as they are, but IDK.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know you don't usually expect a lot from a TE week to week, but Rudolph has been a serious disappointment so far. I think with Bradford coming back soon, that might change, but do you think it's worth maybe shopping him? Don't want to sell low necessarily, but I could use a better TE.

I'd hold. Outside of Gronk/Kelce/Ertz, the position is pretty dismal.

I'm thinking about dropping Marty B for Evan Engram. Am I crazy?

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I'd hold. Outside of Gronk/Kelce/Ertz, the position is pretty dismal.

I'm thinking about dropping Marty B for Evan Engram. Am I crazy?

Not at all crazy. Both are getting similar targets. Marty's are more as an afterthought though. Usually dump offs. Nothing designed for him really. Engram is getting more meaningful looks.

Engram has a slightly higher upside in my opinion.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I snagged Will Fuller off waivers and immediately this morning a guy offers me a trade of Fuller for Crowder straight up.

I lol'd, I don't think I would have even looked to pickup Crowder if he was sitting on waivers next to Fuller, wtf am I missing?

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I snagged Will Fuller off waivers and immediately this morning a guy offers me a trade of Fuller for Crowder straight up.

I lol'd, I don't think I would have even looked to pickup Crowder if he was sitting on waivers next to Fuller, wtf am I missing?

Must be still clinging to the preseason hype for Crowder. How he was going to get all kinds of targets and be great.

I'd rather have the boom or bust Fuller right now than the bust or bust Crowder.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not at all crazy. Both are getting similar targets. Marty's are more as an afterthought though. Usually dump offs. Nothing designed for him really. Engram is getting more meaningful looks.

Engram has a slightly higher upside in my opinion.

I ended up getting Engram and Alex Smith off the waivers. Now I have the decision of:

Big Ben vs. JAX or Alex Smith @ HOU
Marty B @ Dallas or Engram vs LAC

I'll probably roll with Big Ben at home, but damn Alex Smith is playing like a beast. EDIT: The guy I'm playing against has Tyreek Hill AND Kelce. Interesting. I could play a little defense and put Smith in.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I ended up getting Engram and Alex Smith off the waivers. Now I have the decision of:

Big Ben vs. JAX or Alex Smith @ HOU
Marty B @ Dallas or Engram vs LAC

I'll probably roll with Big Ben at home, but damn Alex Smith is playing like a beast. EDIT: The guy I'm playing against has Tyreek Hill AND Kelce. Interesting. I could play a little defense and put Smith in.

I would roll Big Ben.... if Smith is throwing yards/TDs to those guys you are negative... WR/TE yards > QB passing yards.... WR/TE TD > QB TD pass... in most leagues at least.

I had that situation a couple times this year, once where my opponent had Carr and I had Crabtree and Carr threw a bunch of yards and TDs to Crabtree.... so Carr ended the game with like 22 pts and Crabtree had like 26.... so I cancel out all ur QB pts and tack on 4.

The opposite is possible of course, but Hill and Kelce both might be risky lol

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would roll Big Ben.... if Smith is throwing yards/TDs to those guys you are negative... WR/TE yards > QB passing yards.... WR/TE TD > QB TD pass... in most leagues at least.

I had that situation a couple times this year, once where my opponent had Carr and I had Crabtree and Carr threw a bunch of yards and TDs to Crabtree.... so Carr ended the game with like 22 pts and Crabtree had like 26.... so I cancel out all ur QB pts and tack on 4.

The opposite is possible of course, but Hill and Kelce both might be risky lol

Yeah, I'm with you that the WR/TE will score more, BUT what if Big Ben lays an egg? If I play smith and Hill/Kelce go off, the points they score will be because of Smith. Idk, probably overthinking it lol. It always sucks having a player score a TD only to find out the QB that threw it was on the other team.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm with you that the WR/TE will score more, BUT what if Big Ben lays an egg? If I play smith and Hill/Kelce go off, the points they score will be because of Smith. Idk, probably overthinking it lol. It always sucks having a player score a TD only to find out the QB that threw it was on the other team.

I am starting Big Ben in one league.... he gonna finally go off, book it.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:

I actually like this play. It's not often in fantasy football that you can use a defensive strategy.

Matchups for the two are fairly equal, in which case, you have to fall back to how they have played individually. Right now, it's hard to argue against Smith.

If I was in serious need of a win, I would go with Ben and hope that the passing game of the Chiefs is bottled up. If not, I probably take the safe play and go with Smith.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

If the situation was reversed you logic would make some sense...If Smith lays a dud and say throws for 280 yards 1 TD and 3 Int's with Hill getting 65 yards and and Kelce getting 110 yards with the lone TD...the skill players still have strong games while Smith hurts your team. But if Smith has a strong game that only increases the odds of Hill and Kelce having even better games...still lose lose. In the end your decision at the QB position shouldn't be based on your opponents WR or TE but which QB choice is more likely to have a better game.

If you were trying to decide on starting Hill over another player and my opponent was starting Smith than I can see that factoring into my decision.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the situation was reversed you logic would make some sense...If Smith lays a dud and say throws for 280 yards 1 TD and 3 Int's with Hill getting 65 yards and and Kelce getting 110 yards with the lone TD...the skill players still have strong games while Smith hurts your team. But if Smith has a strong game that only increases the odds of Hill and Kelce having even better games...still lose lose. In the end your decision at the QB position shouldn't be based on your opponents WR or TE but which QB choice is more likely to have a better game.

If you were trying to decide on starting Hill over another player and my opponent was starting Smith than I can see that factoring into my decision.

I'm going with Big Ben because Ares said he was going to go off. If I lose it's on him.

I'm also playing Engram over MartyB.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thoughts on Kendall Wright? I have Marvin Jones Jr. and Sterling Shepard starting as WRs, so I'm pretty depleted in that area(Pryor on bye, Crabtree injured).

He's the Bears #1, but I'm not sure what the Trubisky-Wright dynamic is going to be.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I'm going with Big Ben because Ares said he was going to go off. If I lose it's on him.

I'm also playing Engram over MartyB.

I blame a lot of things on Ares...he knows what he did

Engram is a good play

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I blame a lot of things on Ares...he knows what he did

Engram is a good play

And I pass that blame onto fisch, it is a perfect system.

:-v

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
Thoughts on Kendall Wright? I have Marvin Jones Jr. and Sterling Shepard starting as WRs, so I'm pretty depleted in that area(Pryor on bye, Crabtree injured).

He's the Bears #1, but I'm not sure what the Trubisky-Wright dynamic is going to be.

Crabtree should be playing. None of those receivers is ideal, but between Kendall, Jones and Shepard, I'd play Shepard. Chargers defense is pretty sad, so he should get some looks.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Gronk expected to be out tonight!

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Think I'd go Shepard.