IST: Cubs vs. Brewers

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seriously - let's hear some guesses, if you don't already know this. (I heard it recently, and don't recall where. May have been on a broadcast.)

How many of the 14 WS winning teams prior to the Cubs in 2016, won their division the next year?

I have no idea but I do know there hasn't been a back to back World Series winner since 2000.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My thoughts exactly. This is what happens when you have an outside life.

You're right. There are people here who treat Cub games like Bear games.....I mean there's huge difference. Bear games are a once a week event. Not sure how you can have much going on other than the Cubs if you treat them the same way....it's 162 fucking games. I don't give a shit how big a fan people profess to be....watching that many games is lunacy. 8 hours of work, probably an hour or so of commute, couple of hours to eat, another 8 of sleep and 3-4 hours of a Cub game....what the hell is left?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Coming into this season, 90 wins was considered the floor for this team.

If that was the floor of your expectations then it was too high plain and simple. I thought the cubs would win more games than that(95 range) but I would never say any teams floor coming into a season is 90 wins. Too much stuff can happen.

As for criticizing the front office and not the players this is something that really annoys me. Even the worst players in the league are professionals trying to win. It's not a case of bad teams being guaranteed wins and it never has been. On average sure you'll win more than you lose but even the worst teams in the league win basically every third game on average. That's why I never blow up over a bad loss. It's baseball and I wouldn't even call last night a bad loss. They had opportunities to score and didn't. That's not for lack of effort. That happens in baseball all the time to losing teams. Seems to be a problem the cubs often have but I've also seen several games just this year the cubs had no business winning and they did. Think they are still the only team in the league down multiple runs to win in extra innings.

The team is 34-19 in the second half and I'm fairly certain after every one of those 19 losses there's been complaining here. People need to get a grip because you can't win them all. Some hurt more than others sure but the team has been one of the best teams in baseball in the second half probably behind only cleveland in win%. Maybe I'm more lenient than others but it's because I'm looking at the bigger picture not the individual games. The bigger picture is they can still win the next 2 games and gain a game on the brewers from the start of the series. And maybe they get swept instead but I'm not going to worry about that outcome until it actually happens.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You're right. There are people here who treat Cub games like Bear games.....I mean there's huge difference. Bear games are a once a week event. Not sure how you can have much going on other than the Cubs if you treat them the same way....it's 162 fucking games. I don't give a shit how big a fan people profess to be....watching that many games is lunacy. 8 hours of work, probably an hour or so of commute, couple of hours to eat, another 8 of sleep and 3-4 hours of a Cub game....what the hell is left?

Well my comment about outside life was a playful dig at silenceS leaving us to our own devices. Don't remember it being this negative last year then again that team was dominate so there was less to complain about..... and pre-allstar break was pretty brutal as I recall. End is nigh stuff.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Milwaukee Brewers ✔ @Brewers
.@Jimmy_J_Nelson will miss the remainder of the season with a right rotator cuff strain and partial anterior labrum tear.

So there's that...

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
Seriously - let's hear some guesses, if you don't already know this. (I heard it recently, and don't recall where. May have been on a broadcast.)

How many of the 14 WS winning teams prior to the Cubs in 2016, won their division the next year?

Going to guess probably 2 or 3. I know it's not many. But let me point this out. This Cubs team was built to last 4-5 years. They are young, should be getting better each year. Sure we've had our fair share of injuries this year but even when this team was at full strength, they weren't playing up to expectations. They've underperformed basically the entire season. And it seems all they do after a loss is shrug their shoulders. And Maddon seems to act like losses are no big deal. Sometimes its like he's completely oblivious to the fact that he's suppose to win again this year.

If that was the floor of your expectations then it was too high plain and simple. I thought the cubs would win more games than that(95 range) but I would never say any teams floor coming into a season is 90 wins. Too much stuff can happen.

As for criticizing the front office and not the players this is something that really annoys me. Even the worst players in the league are professionals trying to win. It's not a case of bad teams being guaranteed wins and it never has been. On average sure you'll win more than you lose but even the worst teams in the league win basically every third game on average. That's why I never blow up over a bad loss. It's baseball and I wouldn't even call last night a bad loss. They had opportunities to score and didn't. That's not for lack of effort. That happens in baseball all the time to losing teams. Seems to be a problem the cubs often have but I've also seen several games just this year the cubs had no business winning and they did. Think they are still the only team in the league down multiple runs to win in extra innings.

The team is 34-19 in the second half and I'm fairly certain after every one of those 19 losses there's been complaining here. People need to get a grip because you can't win them all. Some hurt more than others sure but the team has been one of the best teams in baseball in the second half probably behind only cleveland in win%. Maybe I'm more lenient than others but it's because I'm looking at the bigger picture not the individual games. The bigger picture is they can still win the next 2 games and gain a game on the brewers from the start of the series. And maybe they get swept instead but I'm not going to worry about that outcome until it actually happens.

I hear ya man. But you keep saying "its just 1 game." Well no it's not. If it was just one game, people wouldn't be frustrated. This has been a season of complacency from this team. I really get the feeling that the players are okay with not repeating since they won last season. And if that's the case (we'll never know) that's really, really disappointing.

I'm also disappointed with the team's lack of spending. After this season, they are going to have a TON of money to spend. So one thing I don't get is why they haven't tried to ink Davis to a long term deal. There is no excuse for letting him walk. I hope to God they're not planning to use Edwards or Wilson as the closer next season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Once again Zobrist in line up over Happ and no Schwarber against a RHer...

Maddon sticking with his guy Zobrist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I don't even know what to say about this year's team. They had worse starting pitcher health (as to be expected) had major regression with three of their starters, Russell has missed basically six weeks of time, Contrereas has missed a month, they've had less players (i.e Fowler leaving), they've had major slumps from Schwarber, Rizzo, and Zobrist, and yet here they sit with a four game LEAD in the division.

Look at the Mets or Giants for what truly constitutes a "terrible year".

To be honest, I think fans here have unreal expectations about the team and sport in general and I think so much of how people have watched the Cubs is "they always fucking blow it". Do you know how many people tell me Joe Maddon mismanaged game 7 of the WS? Do you realize how stupid that sounds in the general sense of things? The Cubs, the most well-known franchise for losing ever, won the WS and people STILL complain. I think some fans just want something to complain about. And I'm process > results more than anyone on this board but even I have let the WS go. Mostly because I don't feel Joe did anything wrong aside from Chapman, which may have been more a scouting/Ross thing than it was a "he's tired thing".

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Wind blowing in a ton today means you're not playing the long ball, you're playing D and try and grind out hits and at bats. Also, Zobrist has been very good of late.

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
I don't even know what to say about this year's team. They had worse starting pitcher health (as to be expected) had major regression with three of their starters, Russell has missed basically six weeks of time, Contrereas has missed a month, they've had less players (i.e Fowler leaving), they've had major slumps from Schwarber, Rizzo, and Zobrist, and yet here they sit with a four game LEAD in the division.

Look at the Mets or Giants for what truly constitutes a "terrible year".

To be honest, I think fans here have unreal expectations about the team and sport in general and I think so much of how people have watched the Cubs is "they always fucking blow it". Do you know how many people tell me Joe Maddon mismanaged game 7 of the WS? Do you realize how stupid that sounds in the general sense of things? The Cubs, the most well-known franchise for losing ever, won the WS and people STILL complain. I think some fans just want something to complain about. And I'm process > results more than anyone on this board but even I have let the WS go. Mostly because I don't feel Joe did anything wrong aside from Chapman, which may have been more a scouting/Ross thing than it was a "he's tired thing".

Dude are you serious at not being able to identify the things that Maddon did wrong in G6 and G7 of the WS?

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:

I'm pretty positive that Zobrist had a handshake deal with Theo/Joe that he would be the starter. That's really the only thing it could be at this point.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I hear ya man. But you keep saying "its just 1 game." Well no it's not. If it was just one game, people wouldn't be frustrated. This has been a season of complacency from this team. I really get the feeling that the players are okay with not repeating since they won last season. And if that's the case (we'll never know) that's really, really disappointing.

I'm also disappointed with the team's lack of spending. After this season, they are going to have a TON of money to spend. So one thing I don't get is why they haven't tried to ink Davis to a long term deal. There is no excuse for letting him walk. I hope to God they're not planning to use Edwards or Wilson as the closer next season.

See this is just where we fundamentally disagree. You see a team that's on pace to win 88 or whatever games as complacency. I see that as a positive for a team that is clearly struggling with world series hang over. I suggest people read this

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/...ast-hungover-reigning-world-series-champions/

It's really hard to play as many games as a world series team does and win the following year because players get worn out. The cubs tried to get ahead of it by not pitching their guys much in Spring Training and by resting guys more than you typically would early in the season but clearly they didn't come out of the gate very sharp and they put themselves in a hole by the break.

As for their spending, I don't think you're going to be happy. Cubs already went over the luxury tax last year and teams aren't going to want to stay there because it's really hurting your ability to continually develop talent via IFA/Draft with the new CBA. The entire reason I was so critical of them making the Chapman/Wilson trades is you end up in this situation they are now where they probably wont want to spend all that much money and they really don't have a huge number of prospects to deal from.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well my comment about outside life was a playful dig at silenceS leaving us to our own devices. Don't remember it being this negative last year then again that team was dominate so there was less to complain about..... and pre-allstar break was pretty brutal as I recall. End is nigh stuff.

I thought he left us for the Yankee board so he could keep talking about Castro. Right, Silence? jk :)

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Dude are you serious at not being able to identify the things that Maddon did wrong in G6 and G7 of the WS?

Other than pitching Chapman in the 9th of game 6, I really don't see what the issues Joe had. People hang their hat on three moves

- Pulling Hendricks even though Lester was almost perfect in his time on the mound and if you didn't go to Lester when he was warm you probably couldn't go to him again
- Bunting Baez with two strikes in the 9th
- Going to Chapman in the 8th to "save" the game then

I don't love the results of some of those moves (and to be honest, Chapman was probably tired after game 6 but what, you going to sit the best reliever in baseball in game 7 of the WS) but I have no fault with the process of them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I was not thrilled with some decisions, but I went ahead and decided to be happy, as we became WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

But hey, if some would rather dwell on imperfections, so be it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wind blowing in a ton today means you're not playing the long ball, you're playing D and try and grind out hits and at bats. Also, Zobrist has been very good of late.
Wait i was told Jay a horrible rotten no good defender ....[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Zobrist is 6 for 26 this month with 1 RBI
While
Happ 11 for 32 3 HR 8 RBIs

So I don't buy that one...

LetsGo we need a win today

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
As for their spending, I don't think you're going to be happy. Cubs already went over the luxury tax last year and teams aren't going to want to stay there because it's really hurting your ability to continually develop talent via IFA/Draft with the new CBA. The entire reason I was so critical of them making the Chapman/Wilson trades is you end up in this situation they are now where they probably wont want to spend all that much money and they really don't have a huge number of prospects to deal from.

You clearly don't have a handle on the 2018 payroll. As of now it's projected at roughly $94M. There is zero, literally zero excuse not to go out and sign at least a couple big boys.

1) I expect them to sign Davis or I'm going to have some very serious f'ing questions for Theo.
2) I expect them to replace Arrieta with another top starter.

With a payroll of $94M and the amount of money this team charges for tickets, they better not go cheap.