IST: Cubs vs. Brewers

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
No doubt. But there has to be exceptions or your hitters will be 0-1 or 0-2 against pitchers that generally throw strikes and we've seen quite a bit of that as of late.

Agreed. I think our hitters have become a little bit predictable and I think that scouting has caught up with that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No doubt. But there has to be exceptions or your hitters will be 0-1 or 0-2 against pitchers that generally throw strikes and we've seen quite a bit of that as of late.
The whole idea of Ted Williams philosophy in the Clef notes version is don't swing at a pitch that has fooled you with less than two strikes. Don't swing at the first pitch from a pitcher you've never seen before, etc. Once you've done that and have a database in your head, all bets are off next time around. So you may not get a lot of runs early if a pitcher is on, but you've seen a lot and he's probably thrown a lot of pitches. I'm not sure why players don't get more aggressive second time through and also if they've seen a pitcher before and he's pounding the zone, they should be jumping on the first good fastball they see, but that's easier said than done.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying you didn't read that somewhere, I'm sure you did....just wondering what the chances are of someone scoring from second on a two out walk.

Not arguing at all that in some situations a hit or a sac fly is better. Just in general across all scenarios, the walk has a tad more value.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying you didn't read that somewhere, I'm sure you did....just wondering what the chances are of someone scoring from second on a two out walk.

That's a very specific suggestion and a walk in no way makes that less likely; you're still able to use the next man to "hit" him in.

I'd imagine a walk is equal to the exit velocity of a standard "single" because those can be turned in to outs so while a single can be more valuable, making contact still generates the potential for outs where as a walk guarantees a base runner who does not make an out. Essentially, a hit is a positive outcome of making contact but the question is does batted contact have a higher value than a walk and I'd say that's dependent on the contact. Judging hits v walks is to truly remove risk of a hit in the first place.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Technically we already had one in 1906. So we really didn't need to win last year either.

Further, that's the attitude of losers. I guarantee you that fans of the Patriots, Yankees, Blackhawks, and Cardinals aren't sitting back saying "Welp boys, we already got one so it's all good. Better luck next year."

Your post are terrible. Just FYI

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's a very specific suggestion and a walk in no way makes that less likely; you're still able to use the next man to "hit" him in.

I'd imagine a walk is equal to the exit velocity of a standard "single" because those can be turned in to outs so while a single can be more valuable, making contact still generates the potential for outs where as a walk guarantees a base runner who does not make an out. Essentially, a hit is a positive outcome of making contact but the question is does batted contact have a higher value than a walk and I'd say that's dependent on the contact. Judging hits v walks is to truly remove risk of a hit in the first place.

I can't argue that but I would say it's also more situational than anything else....there are times when you really need a hit and getting a walk is disappointing.