Lookin like Otani is now going to be posted...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I will say this.... if there's one front office group I want around when trying to land someone apparently not motivated by money it'd be theo and company. They knew how to pitch Lester when he honestly had no business signing with a rebuilding club. They knew how to pitch Heyward and get him below market apparently at the time. And clearly they've done very well for themselves in landing IFA's.

Also for what it's worth I believe the dodgers tried to sign Otani out of high school but he decided not to come stateside. Not sure that means anything but it's at least interesting.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I stand by it: name the last time a team in FA basically signed a player for like a fraction of their value as they were entering the peak of their playing ability?

Name the last time an FA from Japan has been hall of fame material, not just a 3-5 year span of good? There is still a huge question mark to if he can translate to the MLB.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I will say this.... if there's one front office group I want around when trying to land someone apparently not motivated by money it'd be theo and company. They knew how to pitch Lester when he honestly had no business signing with a rebuilding club. They knew how to pitch Heyward and get him below market apparently at the time. And clearly they've done very well for themselves in landing IFA's.

Also for what it's worth I believe the dodgers tried to sign Otani out of high school but he decided not to come stateside. Not sure that means anything but it's at least interesting.

Small correction, the Cubs made Heyward the biggest offer

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Cubs would ever use as their differentiator to getting Otani is the ability to play in the field or at the very least bat routinely. I don't think any team would give a guy 400+ PA and 150+ innings pitched but I wonder if they'd give him a little bit in year one. I never thought his bat was as advanced as the pitching is so this isn't like Babe Ruth 2 here but I wonder if the Cubs would say something like 25 starts as a starter (also limits the increase in IP and adjusting to the five game rotation) as well as something like 50-70 starts in the outfield + 50 or so PA as a SP. If his hitting isn't advanced enough to warrant more PA then you simply make him a starter and have a routinely great hitting pitcher.

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Cubs would ever use as their differentiator to getting Otani is the ability to play in the field or at the very least bat routinely. I don't think any team would give a guy 400+ PA and 150+ innings pitched but I wonder if they'd give him a little bit in year one. I never thought his bat was as advanced as the pitching is so this isn't like Babe Ruth 2 here but I wonder if the Cubs would say something like 25 starts as a starter (also limits the increase in IP and adjusting to the five game rotation) as well as something like 50-70 starts in the outfield + 50 or so PA as a SP. If his hitting isn't advanced enough to warrant more PA then you simply make him a starter and have a routinely great hitting pitcher.

How is that a "differentiator" when an AL team could simply offer him the DH spot?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Had to run the odds NYY is the fav

Honestly this play off run should also factor heavy. The champ should also hold weight.

Now I would love for the Cubs to nail him but honestly the odds are lower. No DH. So those extra AB's that he is used to would not be there

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Had to run the odds NYY is the fav

Honestly this play off run should also factor heavy. The champ should also hold weight.

Now I would love for the Cubs to nail him but honestly the odds are lower. No DH. So those extra AB's that he is used to would not be there

The three teams that have had the biggest scouting presence have been the Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees. Boston, Seattle, Texas and Houston have dabbled. If nothing else it's going to be interesting.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he is good with taking less money, then his people would probably be looking at how and where he could make up some of the difference outside of baseball. NY and LA wins that hands down plus LA has the bonus of great weather all year round while NY could offer him DH AB's. I'd say the Cub's chances are slim at best.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Small correction, the Cubs made Heyward the biggest offer

No, they didnt. Cardinals and Nats made a bigger offer. We have been over this and you refuse to take it as fact.

"According to a Fox Sports report, the Nationals bid $200 million for Heyward, and another team, believed to be the Cardinals, also offered $200 million, meaning Heyward took less money to play for the Cubs."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/14343750/chicago-cubs-add-offseason-haul-agreeing-jason-heyward

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
No, they didnt. Cardinals and Nats made a bigger offer. We have been over this and you refuse to take it as fact.

"According to a Fox Sports report, the Nationals bid $200 million for Heyward, and another team, believed to be the Cardinals, also offered $200 million, meaning Heyward took less money to play for the Cubs."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/14343750/chicago-cubs-add-offseason-haul-agreeing-jason-heyward

Are we certain that the offers from the Cards and Nats were for 8 years?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are we certain that the offers from the Cards and Nats were for 8 years?

Are we certain that doesn't have anything to do with original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Who cares...he a cub now ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he is good with taking less money, then his people would probably be looking at how and where he could make up some of the difference outside of baseball. NY and LA wins that hands down plus LA has the bonus of great weather all year round while NY could offer him DH AB's. I'd say the Cub's chances are slim at best.

Japan is really not known for it's great weather. That IMO is a small factor.

Big factors: park type. Denver will be a reach.

Fan base: Cleveland looks like the fav but they can't fill the house. That is not a attractive city offer. Neither Fla team can fill the house. SD great weather but can't field a winner. etc.

If it is me I'm looking at a marketable location. NYY comes to mind. Seattle also could fit the bill with their history with Japan. Not to mention they are pretty close to sucessful as it s.

Had to rank them:

NYY, Seattle, Rangers, Astros, Boston. After that you start to get into the NL and honestly Cubs and Dodgers are the 2 most attractive NL teams. But the lacking of a DH will diminish their hopes.

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
Are we certain that doesn't have anything to do with original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, your posts suck and so does your logic. You said he was offered more money by other teams and I'm asking you to back that up. If Nats offered $200M over 9+ years, then that's not more money than what the Cubs offered.

Take a math class sometime.

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
Japan is really not known for it's great weather. That IMO is a small factor.

Big factors: park type. Denver will be a reach.

Fan base: Cleveland looks like the fav but they can't fill the house. That is not a attractive city offer. Neither Fla team can fill the house. SD great weather but can't field a winner. etc.

If it is me I'm looking at a marketable location. NYY comes to mind. Seattle also could fit the bill with their history with Japan. Not to mention they are pretty close to sucessful as it s.

Had to rank them:

NYY, Seattle, Rangers, Astros, Boston. After that you start to get into the NL and honestly Cubs and Dodgers are the 2 most attractive NL teams. But the lacking of a DH will diminish their hopes.

He's not going to Seattle bro. It's going to be the Yankees, Dodgers, or Cubs. End of Story.