Lookin like Otani is now going to be posted...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It matters after 1 year of service time. They will look at previous deals and use that as a guideline. or he may just take a deal where he keeps control of his arb and F/A when he comes up. If he got a Rizzo offer he would laugh at it.

Not really. IFA signing bonus has nothing to do with future contracts. What matters is arbitration rates for players. That's how they adjust contract offers and IFA signing bonus has 0 impact on arbitration.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But a team that will line him up the way he wants to would have the edge.

So if he wants a opt to take arb and team A wants full control of his arb and first 2 F/A it really don't matter on his signing bonus. That bonus is peanuts compared to what he can make on the open market.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not really. IFA signing bonus has nothing to do with future contracts. What matters is arbitration rates for players. That's how they adjust contract offers and IFA signing bonus has 0 impact on arbitration.

Any deal he signs after the original signing has to include opting in to arb per MLB rules. Soler had to make that choice and declined it preferring to stick to his contract.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Any deal he signs after the original signing has to include opting in to arb per MLB rules. Soler had to make that choice and declined it preferring to stick to his contract.

Maybe I was being unclear. What i'm saying here is that the rate you would make via arbitration is the figures they use as starting points in extension talks.

Twinndaddy

Liked Posts:
I don't know about anyone else but it makes me sick to think that some other team than the Cubs is going to get this probable All-Star for peanuts. No draft pick, hardly anything against their yearly budget so no luxury tax, no trading players, they get him for six years. It just doesn't seem right.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't know about anyone else but it makes me sick to think that some other team than the Cubs is going to get this probable All-Star for peanuts. No draft pick, hardly anything against their yearly budget so no luxury tax, no trading players, they get him for six years. It just doesn't seem right.

So only the Cubs should be allowed to sign probable All-Stars for peanuts?

Twinndaddy

Liked Posts:
So only the Cubs should be allowed to sign probable All-Stars for peanuts?

If that is the message you took out of the post, sure. lol. I guess you can say I wouldn't be complaining if it were the Cubs who signed him. Still wouldn't/shouldn't be right.
It's the way the system is built but the system is faulty to allow such a HUGE advantage to 1 out of the 30 teams. I can understand if you had a 50-112 season and earned the #1 draft pick and he was the #1 draft pick. You earned it by suffering through a horrible season.
The team that gets Otani can already be a playoff team or worse yet, it could be the World Series winner who gets to add an Otani for absolutely nothing. Then I'll feel like we've become like basketball and the Golden State Warriors.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Doubtful....some of these kids have worse swings than my wife. Worse swings than mine and I was brutal. It had to start way earlier than that.
Very rarely is a college pitcher a two-way player.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If that is the message you took out of the post, sure. lol. I guess you can say I wouldn't be complaining if it were the Cubs who signed him. Still wouldn't/shouldn't be right.
It's the way the system is built but the system is faulty to allow such a HUGE advantage to 1 out of the 30 teams. I can understand if you had a 50-112 season and earned the #1 draft pick and he was the #1 draft pick. You earned it by suffering through a horrible season.
The team that gets Otani can already be a playoff team or worse yet, it could be the World Series winner who gets to add an Otani for absolutely nothing. Then I'll feel like we've become like basketball and the Golden State Warriors.

I don't think you understand the system you're complaining about, because no team as a "HUGE" advantage in signing Otani. He can literally sign anywhere he wants while still banking on a massive future payday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing is he will most likely play the fan-boy of a team card and sign there.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I don't think you understand the system you're complaining about, because no team as a "HUGE" advantage in signing Otani. He can literally sign anywhere he wants while still banking on a massive future payday.

He's not complaining about the advantage a team has in singing Otani; he's saying it's almost unfair that Otani can come to any team in the MLB for so little money or capital via the draft or IFA. There's a reason that I think any team that signs Otani would be a WS favorite and it's because usually acquiring a ready-made player like this costs a team a lot of something. The Yankees had to pay a ton to sign Tanaka, the Red Sox with Daisuke or any other FA that costs good money. Besides the $20 million posting fee (by the far the hardest thing a team will have to deal with in deciding to sign Otani), teams are not having to give up the same type of capital they'd normally give up to sign a player this good.

If Manfred were wise, he'd make a one-time "Otani exception" and declare that Otani is not bound by IFA limits and that if he wants to come over and sign after the posting fee that he can.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's not complaining about the advantage a team has in singing Otani; he's saying it's almost unfair that Otani can come to any team in the MLB for so little money or capital via the draft or IFA. There's a reason that I think any team that signs Otani would be a WS favorite and it's because usually acquiring a ready-made player like this costs a team a lot of something. The Yankees had to pay a ton to sign Tanaka, the Red Sox with Daisuke or any other FA that costs good money. Besides the $20 million posting fee (by the far the hardest thing a team will have to deal with in deciding to sign Otani), teams are not having to give up the same type of capital they'd normally give up to sign a player this good.

If Manfred were wise, he'd make a one-time "Otani exception" and declare that Otani is not bound by IFA limits and that if he wants to come over and sign after the posting fee that he can.

Don't think he can. Not to mention it would set a precedent if he could.

Twinndaddy

Liked Posts:

I was thinking something like whoever signs him loses there next two first round draft picks. But yes if the commish sets this up before he decides where he's going then it's not like he's being biased against a certain team. The team that signs him realizes that they will have to give up "something" to get him. Trust me it won't deter ANY team from signing him. I don't think though that he could make any team a playoff team, example if he signed on the Pirates or Reds I still think they stink but he makes any current playoff team a favorite.

DanTown you are understanding me correctly, thanks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Little is known about Shohei Otani’s preferred destination if he makes the jump to Major League Baseball this offseason, though in a profile of the two-way star, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times wonders if Otani’s reputation as a “yakyu shonen” (as Hernandez puts it, “basically, a kid who lives, eats and breathes baseball”) could provide some hints. Otani is believed to be intent on coming to MLB for competitive reasons given his outward lack of interest in money. For this same reason, Otani may not necessarily be swayed by a wealthy team like the Dodgers or Yankees, according to Hiroshi Sasaki, Otani’s former high school coach. When choosing schools, Otani chose to play for a lower-profile high school closer to home rather than accept offers from larger programs.

Interesting take.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That would mean the Cardinals in my eyes

Well if being closer to home is a thing with him i'd imagine a team like Seattle might have the inside edge. They've always done well with japanesse players.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Could be but while I'm sure they would look at him their eyes are on big bats right now. I guarantee that they are talking to Derek Jeter this morning about any or all of the Miami outfielders. On a side note, it looks like Jeter's group is going to sell everything. I kind of feel bad for Marlins fans.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

It sounds like being competitive is more important than being a big money team. But that still means Dodgers and Yankees would be in. Cards? Not so much.

And I can't see a young Japanese star finding St Louis as the place he wants to be. I even wonder about that with Chicago.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
SF Giants will be a finalist, the SFO-Narita flight is very manageable, and the combo of West coast + Asian-friendly city + awesome ballpark + great FO will be tough to overcome for competing teams.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It sounds like being competitive is more important than being a big money team. But that still means Dodgers and Yankees would be in. Cards? Not so much.

And I can't see a young Japanese star finding St Louis as the place he wants to be. I even wonder about that with Chicago.

To me it's being on a winner and adding him to STL makes them another big step forward in that. Plus the tradition of winning and the knowledge of the sport. All things he would find attractive based on what was posted.