Lookin like Otani is now going to be posted...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
LOL cuz I previously made a contradictory post on the matter but apparently shit has changed.

Jorgeramos

Liked Posts:
So he's basically just going to decide which city he wants to live in. LA has the clear upper hand.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Wow! Ballsy move! Hope this means he would take even less money and play for the Cubs.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
There has never been a bigger FA signing in terms of value and potential for any team in the modern MLB-Free agent history than Otani signing for basically a rookie/arbitration type contract. Whatever team that signs him will be getting so much potential return over dollars spent on a FA signing that I'd say whoever signs him is the favorite to win the WS based on that moves + their other moves.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
There has never been a bigger FA signing in terms of value and potential for any team in the modern MLB-Free agent history than Otani signing for basically a rookie/arbitration type contract. Whatever team that signs him will be getting so much potential return over dollars spent on a FA signing that I'd say whoever signs him is the favorite to win the WS based on that moves + their other moves.

That's some hyperbole there.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I remember when Yao ming came to the NBA, ended up having to give half of his salary back to China.

Is it the same with Japan?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
That's some hyperbole there.

I stand by it: name the last time a team in FA basically signed a player for like a fraction of their value as they were entering the peak of their playing ability?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I remember when Yao ming came to the NBA, ended up having to give half of his salary back to China.

It is not. all the Japanese team gets is $20 million from the chosen team.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

No, it is that way with Mexican players though which is why the Cubs have signed a bunch of them. 80% of their signing bonus goes to the team so even being in the international penalty of $300K the Cubs have been able to pay those players much more as only the 20% count as part of their pool money.

As far as Otani goes, I was just listening to a discussion about it on MLB Radio. The reason why most think that LA and Chicago are the favorites, despite both being in the penalty, is that while they can only sign him for $300K, they can extend him for a maximum of $10.2 million (the max for penalty teams is $10.5 million so that minus the $300K) as soon as he reaches MLB. Basically, one way or another, this guy knows what he's going to get paid. All that matters is who he wants to play for.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It is not. all the Japanese team gets is $20 million from the chosen team.

Technically true at the moment though they are renegotiating for this coming offseason. Most recent CBA didn't cover japan.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
For a guy who's never hit a single MLB pitch, no less.

If Kris Bryant was magically granted FA before the 2015 season, would you say "yeah, he's good but since he's never hit a MLB pitch, he can't be that valuable?"

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Kris Bryant was magically granted FA before the 2015 season, would you say "yeah, he's good but since he's never hit a MLB pitch, he can't be that valuable?"

Yes

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
No, it is that way with Mexican players though which is why the Cubs have signed a bunch of them. 80% of their signing bonus goes to the team so even being in the international penalty of $300K the Cubs have been able to pay those players much more as only the 20% count as part of their pool money.

As far as Otani goes, I was just listening to a discussion about it on MLB Radio. The reason why most think that LA and Chicago are the favorites, despite both being in the penalty, is that while they can only sign him for $300K, they can extend him for a maximum of $10.2 million (the max for penalty teams is $10.5 million so that minus the $300K) as soon as he reaches MLB. Basically, one way or another, this guy knows what he's going to get paid. All that matters is who he wants to play for.

I don't think the Cubs have a realistic chance to sign Otani. Looking at the history of Japanese baseball players, the big names in particular tend to make one of two choices: Go for the money & limelight of NY or pick the west coast for a more familiar culture and easier travel back home. Chicago, and the NL in general, just seems like the worst fit for Otani.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Technically true at the moment though they are renegotiating for this coming offseason. Most recent CBA didn't cover japan.

Right now there is no posting agreement, the $20 mil was the last agreement between the leagues. He cannot be posted until an agreement is in place.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Cubs have a realistic chance to sign Otani. Looking at the history of Japanese baseball players, the big names in particular tend to make one of two choices: Go for the money & limelight of NY or pick the west coast for a more familiar culture and easier travel back home. Chicago, and the NL in general, just seems like the worst fit for Otani.

What about Fukudome?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
For a guy who's never hit a single MLB pitch, no less.

There some good video on YouTube. I don't think there is much doubt with this kid, at least on the pitching side. The crazy thing is that he still wants to come here now despite MLB probably screwing him out of $300 mil in the new CBA.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I know LA has always been a popular spot for asian players and i really shouldn't be surprised if he ends up there but I can't help but wonder if they would really be one of his top choices. He's never going to be "the guy" there. Kershaw is. They then have Rich Hill for 18-19. Kazmir for 18 ,Ryu for 18 McCarthy for 18, Maeda 18-23, Wood 18-20 and Urias isn't even in arb yet. That's to say nothing of Walker Buehler who finished the year in AAA and may compete for a job. Also Yadier Alvarez is in AA and he got PAYED last year as an IFA.

I get why the dodgers would want him cuz every team does. From their perspective if you get him you move other pieces around him. But if you are Otani I feel like you'd want to go somewhere that needs you. And I'm not just saying that cuz the cubs need him. I feel like a team like Houston also makes more sense than LA.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Maybe not, but the Cubs have been scouting him for years and had been reportedly prepared to offer him a bundle this offseason before the rules were changed in the new CBA. I'm guessing they already know whether he's interested or not and with money not really being a factor that's all they need to know.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I know LA has always been a popular spot for asian players and i really shouldn't be surprised if he ends up there but I can't help but wonder if they would really be one of his top choices. He's never going to be "the guy" there. Kershaw is. They then have Rich Hill for 18-19. Kazmir for 18 ,Ryu for 18 McCarthy for 18, Maeda 18-23, Wood 18-20 and Urias isn't even in arb yet. That's to say nothing of Walker Buehler who finished the year in AAA and may compete for a job. Also Yadier Alvarez is in AA and he got PAYED last year as an IFA.

I get why the dodgers would want him cuz every team does. From their perspective if you get him you move other pieces around him. But if you Otani I feel like you'd want to go somewhere that needs you. And I'm not just saying that cuz the cubs need him. I feel like a team like Houston also makes more sense than LA.

Kershaw is going to opt out for FA after next year though. I'm guessing he stays in LA but who knows?