Gabriel: Did The Bears Make A Mistake In Signing Mike Glennon? Yes

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the 49ers were locked in on Thomas, he would have still been there at 3. Pace heard ghosts that weren't there. If somebody was trying to trade up it was to draft Thomas. Trubs wasn't even expected to go in the top 5.

No, Cleveland was going to trade up to 2 to get Trubisky. Bears got Cleveland and a couple of others on the phone to propose trading down our #3 pick, and at the same time got on phone with San Fran and trading up with them. Pace's finest moment.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this is true and they can sign their guy the 49ers made out like a bandit then. They got the guys they wanted anyway and some good picks.

It’s possible the Bears and 49ers both benefited from the trade. Not sure what this has to do with the OP.

Glennon was a miss. Anyone who doesn’t see that at this point is delusional. But he was only part of Pace’s plan at the position. And the good news is Trubisky looks promising.

I understand why they don’t want to rush Trubisky given injuries to the line and WRs. But Fox needs to stop defending shitty play at the QB position. He’s losing the fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"L," as they say on the internet, "OL" . . . What else does a quarterback do?

This is the latest article of several suggesting "If I'm Lyin' I'm" Ryan Pace has had a strong affinity for Mike "Glen or" Glennon for years. Anyone who saw a couple of Tampa Bay games in 2014 knew Glennon was a new-millennium version of Shane Matthews. It would be one thing if Pace just signed the guy as a stopgap and knew he was going to take his lumps, but Pace has apparently been pining away for the guy for years? What the hell is wrong with him? . . .

Combine this with the bust out selections of Kevin White and Leonard Floyd and it's clear the Bears have a wildly inconsistent talent evaluator at the most important talent evaluation position on the team, and "wildly inconsistent" is putting it nicely . . .

tenor.gif

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
How so? Freeman, Hicks, Trevathan, Sitton have all been good gets. McPhee is a monster when healthy. Massie at minimum plays to his contract. Most his misses have been due to injury, Royal, Rolle. Glennon will, in all likelihood, be his biggest most expensive miss, but only a fool would fault him for swinging for the fences looking for a franchise QB. It looks to be a Dave Kingman level whiff, but if Trubisky is a Sosa Grand slam, 1 for 2 is not bad.

Freeman and Hicks are his shining stars. Trevathan has played 10 games in 2 seasons and has only 5 tackles this year. To say his is "good get" is way to premature and leans on a overpaid disappointment. Masse is not a starting RT on half of the NFL rosters. Sitton is old and can't stay healthy. McPhee has been a huge disappointment and signed to his contract with a preexisting knee injury.

Bad:
Glennon (huge mistake)
Royal (another huge mistake)
Rolle
McDonald. (Worst signing of his young career)
McPhee
Massie
Jarvis Jenkins

Jury still out on Simms and Wheaton (always injured) Wright is average and Unrein is a JAG.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cue made up concerns about the OL in 3, 2, 1.

Cue David Carr reference in 3, 2, 1.

So this is what self fulfilling prophecy means.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glennon was on the bench bcuz he was no good and was not really considered the future of the Bucs.

Same reason Kurt Warner was bagging groceries. Most QBs suck. I doubt 1/2 the league is satisfied. Glennon is worse than hoped for but the hope was obviously not as high as many thought when signed. Pace proved that in the draft.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty much the only saving grace of his deal is that he should be gone next year (cut, or...by miracle...trade), and the Bears are only on the hook for a max of 4.5 and 1 mil each in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

If they can't trade him then they should keep him for what he is, a back up QB. The money due to him after this year will be inline with a solid back up QB's salary.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Freeman and Hicks are his shining stars. Trevathan has played 10 games in 2 seasons and has only 5 tackles this year. To say his is "good get" is way to premature and leans on a overpaid disappointment. Masse is not a starting RT on half of the NFL rosters. Sitton is old and can't stay healthy. McPhee has been a huge disappointment and signed to his contract with a preexisting knee injury.

Bad:
Glennon (huge mistake)
Royal (another huge mistake)
Rolle
McDonald. (Worst signing of his young career)
McPhee
Massie
Jarvis Jenkins

Jury still out on Simms and Wheaton (always injured) Wright is average and Unrein is a JAG.

Weren't McDonald and Jenkins basically on vet minimums? I don't really think any of those are mistakes. Everyone knew McDonald was on a short leash and was immediately released when he fucked up but it was such an insignificant thing in the grand scheme of things that I dunno how you could think that was pace's biggest mistake... Jenkins was signed then released when he showed he couldn't do much but pretty sure both contracts combined amounted to about 2 mil total so barely anything to even think about.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Combine this with the bust out selections of Kevin White and Leonard Floyd and it's clear the Bears have a wildly inconsistent talent evaluator at the most important talent evaluation position on the team, and "wildly inconsistent" is putting it nicely . . .

Just curious why you consider Floyd a bust already? Not even done his 2nd season and he had a pretty good rookie one. So not sure how you got to this?

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If they can't trade him then they should keep him for what he is, a back up QB. The money due to him after this year will be inline with a solid back up QB's salary.
He counts those amounts if released. If kept he gets approx. 18 mil a year

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never thought I'd hear myself say this. But at this point if you're not gonna play Trubisky, put in Butt Fumble.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
He counts those amounts if released. If kept he gets approx. 18 mil a year

He is only gauranteed the $18 mil this year. He signed a three year $45 mil deal where do you get $18 mil a year from?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is only gauranteed the $18 mil this year. He signed a three year $45 mil deal where do you get $18 mil a year from?

If he is kept, he will be paid 16 million, it's how contracts work........

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I messed up and thought he had partial signing bonus spread out. But if he stays, he is still approx. 18 mil a year. No thanks.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
If Glennon was an expensive smokescreen it failed. Had it worked, the Bears would have not needed to trade up from the 3 spot into the two spot. This is a nonsensical narrative brought up over and over by people that just can't except the fact Pace screwed up.

A much more likely scenario is Pace/Fox really thought Glennon was their guy, but after signing him to that ridiculous contract, upon hearing they became the laughing stock of the league, Pace second guessed himself.

The smokescreen didn't fail at all. Cleveland wanted Trubisky bad. They called the Bears up so that they could get our pick and take him. The Bears figured if they didn't trade up Cleveland would have with SF, as they'd get tired of waiting on the Bears.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thought process: good

Player evaluation: bad

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I'm not aware of any other backup, solid or otherwise, counting $16 and $15 mil against their team's cap over the next two seasons respectively. $6 is where backup per-year costs max out in the NFL right now; I wouldn't keep him to sit on the bench for more than twice that amount.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Glennon isn't worth keeping as a backup at the vet minimum.

He can't make plays. Your backup needs to be able to make a few plays and give you a chance to win.

Glennon is the reason you lose.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately Pace has been bad at FA. Which is disappointing considering his career history. I'm hoping for new pro scout this offseason.