Doomed from the very beginning

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears were doomed from the very beginning

You don't have to go too far to see why the Bears lost this game. In fact, you can look at Mike Glennon's very first snap to witness the beginning of the end.

The Bears line up in a simple run formation with WR Bellamy and TE Miller on the top of the screen, along with WR Wright on the bottom of the screen. TE Dion Sims is lined up next to Massie as the 6th lineman in protection.

CkgQ98A.jpg

As the ball is snapped, Glennon fakes the handoff to Jordan Howard, signaling a play action pass. Bellamy runs straight upfield along the left hash marks while Wright is running up the field along the right hash marks. The TE Miller is running to the flat on the left of the screen, while TE Dion Sims is taking on trying to block Clay Mathews off the edge. There is really not much for Glennon to diagnose here. He either throws deep down the middle of the field for Bellamy/Wright or to Miller in the flat. It looks as though his first read is to look downfield for the big play, hoping someone bit on the play action.

xfL6IPI.jpg

Unfortunately, both Bellamy and Wright are covered with the safety over the top of them. So Glennon goes to his other read, his outlet TE Miller. Miller is open with a relatively huge cushion and there is absolutely no pressure around Glennon to disrupt him.

QbcxG20.jpg

Even though there is no pressure in Glennon's face, he becomes indecisive. For some reason he does not pull the trigger to his TE Miller and instead looks upfield again to Bellamy/Wright. This was a critical error by Glennon, as they are still covered and the rush is getting closer. On top of that, Glennon is standing in the exact same spot as he was at the very beginning of his drop back, making him a sitting duck for the pass rush.

6bWOV4J.jpg

Now in a state of panic, Glennon turns back to his TE Miller. At this point, Glennon has done more than enough damage and should just take the sack. But he foolishly tries to get the pass off to Miller. Honestly, if Clay doesn't hit Glennon and he gets that throw off in this situation, it's probably a pick 6. But he's drilled at the very beginning of his throw motion...game over.

O47XFSn.jpg

Pre snap God Mike Glennon should have identified the Sims/Mathews matchup before the ball was snapped and known that he didn't have 17 seconds to survey the field. Even still, he only had basically two reads to look through, and the line gave him more than enough time on this play. Also, Glennon hangs Sims out to dry by standing in the same exact spot for the entirety of the play, giving Mathews an easy target.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Someone with more knowledge, school me. Does it make any sense for his progression to go from a short pass in the flat to an open Miller (watch his head in Pic 3), to a covered receiver deeper up the field who he’s seemingly already progressed past (look at his head in Pic 4)?

Why wouldn’t you pull the trigger in Pic 3? And why then would you go from that to looking deep down the middle at a guy you already know is covered?

Does this guy just have a shitty football IQ, or is Loggains teaching him this stuff? Or am I wrong?

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would like one reporter ask Glennon one question, forget everything everyone has told you... do you think you should run this offence anymore? Looking from the outside would you (Glennon) start you?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone with more knowledge, school me. Does it make any sense for his progression to go from a short pass in the flat to an open Miller (watch his head in Pic 3), to a covered receiver deeper up the field who he’s seemingly already progressed past (look at his head in Pic 4)?

Why wouldn’t you pull the trigger in Pic 3? And why then would you go from that to looking deep down the middle at a guy you already know is covered?

Does this guy just have a shitty football IQ, or is Loggains teaching him this stuff? Or am I wrong?

Not only that, by the time Glennon looked back at Miller for the final time trying to release a panic throw, Miller had already given up on the play and was standing still. The receivers don't know what the hell Glennon is doing.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I keep watching the game thinking to myself, "is he really that bad? Am I just being overly-critical?" And then I see this shit happen.

It's simple. Throw to the open man so he can catch and make yards happen. If possible, lead him and hit him in stride so he can turn it up.

Yes Virginia, he is that bad!!!

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I keep watching the game thinking to myself, "is he really that bad? Am I just being overly-critical?" And then I see this shit happen.

It's simple. Throw to the open man so he can catch and make yards happen. If possible, lead him and hit him in stride so he can turn it up.

Yes Virginia, he is that bad!!!

Yea, but without those drops in garb time he'd have been 31-33 390 yards 1td 2int........

9cab781bc948726fb4e4844afc9739e2.jpg

372835_509a_625x1000.jpg

Newblood

Liked Posts:
While I haven't been impressed with Glennon, I never considered myself a Glennon hater. Until that first pass...

The ONE thing the Bears could NOT do was let the Packers get the lead early and force the Bears out of their run game.

So what is the very first thing that dumb fuck does? Yeah, Glennon can fuck off.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
While I haven't been impressed with Glennon, I never considered myself a Glennon hater. Until that first pass...

The ONE thing the Bears could NOT do was let the Packers get the lead early and force the Bears out of their run game.

So what is the very first thing that dumb fuck does? Yeah, Glennon can fuck off.

I agree. I wanted him to get a chance and be a potential valuable asset going forward but he is full on driving the clown car.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If only we had a mobile QB who could have bootlegged and kept the play alive..

Or even move a little in the pocket... He climbed the pocket once last night. It was the first time I've seen that in four games. Brutal...

If you're a pocket passer, you have to be able to slide around in the damn pocket not just stand there waiting to get strip sacked.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Or even move a little in the pocket... He climbed the pocket once last night. It was the first time I've seen that in four games. Brutal...

If you're a pocket passer, you have to be able to slide around in the damn pocket not just stand there waiting to get strip sacked.

His whole throwing motion is sooooo slowwwwwwww. It's like watching something happen in slow motion. You can see him start to wind up if there is anyone within 3 feet, you know it's going to be a sack or fumble.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Both WRs in the middle of the field with one crossing underneath means it's a slow developing route with the throw to go where the safety doesn't but they expected the safety to have bit in which he didn't. Neither guy gets enough separation as the the safety has split the difference and can get to the crossing player while the over coverage though once past the safety the bomb is the throw since it's become a one on one. Glennon's balls move up into his abdomen here. This causes him to require too much time to find Miller and to never move the safety. Crossing route looks a little too deep to me. This is designed for the bomb and it was actually worth throwing once the WR past the safety.

This would be a great play with a look or pump fake to the TE early to freeze the safety and then safety him and throw but I suspect the play was designed to bring the safet up in play action so that wouldn't be designed in because the deep throw could have been there very early. GB wasn't fooled but Glennon had enough protection and enough of a look to throw deep anyway. He could not step up, had plenty of room to step into a throw but was still holding the ball a second after it should have been gone. The decision making here is awful. The original play took a long time to become viable but it did and could have been thrown when he ditched it. Once he was the safety position, there was enough reason to go underneath without regret but staying with it was OK. You just have to fucking throw the ball.

A good QB turns off the play fake, sees the safety, peaks at the rush, finds the TE, glances at the deep routes and fires to somebody. He commits downfield early, waits for one guy to pull the safety from the other and once it happens, eats the ball. His deep ball is way underrated but the guy can't read well enough to throw it.

AussieBear

The proper read is good.

actually, in reality, everyone is accounted for. glennon was waiting for the play to develop deep across the field like he should have. he then sensed pressure and tried to probably throw a low outside grounder to miller but it was too late. Sims was beat at the snap.. no time

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
so checkdowns are good now? you people

He just doesn't make the right reads most of the time and when he does, it's a terrible pass.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If only we had a mobile QB who could have bootlegged and kept the play alive..

They're so hard to find these days though. Like you have to spend a first round pick to get one....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thin was the first game my wife got to watch this year. She pulled a book out as soon as she saw this play.