Nats Injury

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How were the Cubs "very healthy" last year when Kyle Schwarber missed the entire NL playoffs and was limited to DH in the AL parks?

Rondon also got hurt and became less effective.

The Cubs were injured but they had such amazing depth they were able to push past it.

They also paid a ton of money for their depth in the rotation and the bullpen both financially and with prospects they had to trade.

You ask a question and then answer it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Two years in a row the Cubs are very healthy and their opponents are less than full strength. Still gotta win no matter what happens.

Has a game 1 starter been announced for the Cubs yet?

Don't think the cubs this year were all that healthy. Other than Schwarber I think it's fair to say they were last year. But this year they lost Hendricks for 8 starts, Arrieta and Lackey for 3 each(probably should have missed more with Lackey but pitched through pain), and Anderson so much he eventually was released. Russell missed roughly 40 games. Heyward missed roughly 25 games. Contreras missed like 15-20 games. So I wouldn't say the cubs were all that lucky. Although I suppose your intent could be that they are healthy headed into the playoffs which is probably true though Arrieta/Almora aren't 100% even if they are 90-95%.

Even so, the reason they are healthy is more depth than anything. They didn't have to push their guys daily offensively because they were redundant in several ways. And in terms of their pitching, I think joe is far more liberal pulling guys not to mention he's never afraid to give your #6 starter a go. I don't really remember too many games where guys threw well over 100 pitches. Hendricks had one game over 110 pitches(112 pitches 9-23). Lester had 6(120 on 5-7, 114 on 9-13, 112 on 8-6, 112 on 5-13, 111 on 9-7 and 6-19). With the cubs Q had 2 games(116 on 9-24 and 112 on 9-12) and only 3 more with the sox. Arrieta had 1 game(111 on 5-21). Monty had one game over 100 pitches(102 on 6-30). Butler didn't even reach 100 pitches in any start.

I think that's one of the reason joe goes against the grain on having 8 guys in the bullpen and a shorter bench. Whether it's intended or not it's an interesting concept especially with the versatility the cubs have in position players. There's some synergy there because in a typical 13 position player team you'd be wanting to find more at bats for another bench player to keep him some what active. But since the cubs have enough versatility to cover all the positions they do they can push those ab on to a more talented guy and in turn have their starter pitch fewer innings. That's something I hadn't really considered until today when talking about all the trade <x> young player talk. On average that's about 38 PAs more per player 12 vs 13.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Don't think the cubs this year were all that healthy. Other than Schwarber I think it's fair to say they were last year. But this year they lost Hendricks for 8 starts, Arrieta and Lackey for 3 each(probably should have missed more with Lackey but pitched through pain), and Anderson so much he eventually was released. Russell missed roughly 40 games. Heyward missed roughly 25 games. Contreras missed like 15-20 games. So I wouldn't say the cubs were all that lucky. Although I suppose your intent could be that they are healthy headed into the playoffs which is probably true though Arrieta/Almora aren't 100% even if they are 90-95%.

Even so, the reason they are healthy is more depth than anything. They didn't have to push their guys daily offensively because they were redundant in several ways. And in terms of their pitching, I think joe is far more liberal pulling guys not to mention he's never afraid to give your #6 starter a go. I don't really remember too many games where guys threw well over 100 pitches. Hendricks had one game over 110 pitches(112 pitches 9-23). Lester had 6(120 on 5-7, 114 on 9-13, 112 on 8-6, 112 on 5-13, 111 on 9-7 and 6-19). With the cubs Q had 2 games(116 on 9-24 and 112 on 9-12) and only 3 more with the sox. Arrieta had 1 game(111 on 5-21). Monty had one game over 100 pitches(102 on 6-30). Butler didn't even reach 100 pitches in any start.

I think that's one of the reason joe goes against the grain on having 8 guys in the bullpen and a shorter bench. Whether it's intended or not it's an interesting concept especially with the versatility the cubs have in position players. There's some synergy there because in a typical 13 position player team you'd be wanting to find more at bats for another bench player to keep him some what active. But since the cubs have enough versatility to cover all the positions they do they can push those ab on to a more talented guy and in turn have their starter pitch fewer innings. That's something I hadn't really considered until today when talking about all the trade <x> young player talk. On average that's about 38 PAs more per player 12 vs 13.

Well written and I agree. While Joe is not fantastic between the lines, managing the health of his team by doing exactly what you wrote is a huge plus for them.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Whatever helps you thru things

Meh, 3 years in a row of playoff appearances with a title sandwiched in between. When was the last time the Sox made the playoffs back-to-back? (Hint: It's never happened)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Meh, 3 years in a row of playoff appearances with a title sandwiched in between. When was the last time the Sox made the playoffs back-to-back? (Hint: It's never happened)

Yes I know. Breed more hate. It's your game.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

The 2006 Sox won 90 games, they just happened to play in a ridiculous division that year. I don't hold that against them. I hold it against Kenny Williams that he spent the next decade shitting on himself.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The 2006 Sox won 90 games, they just happened to play in a ridiculous division that year. I don't hold that against them. I hold it against Kenny Williams that he spent the next decade shitting on himself.

I do, they fell apart in the second half, going 33-41. And yes, Williams is an idiot that spent the next decade trying to recapture lightning in a bottle. Hahn looks like he knows what he's doing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maddon is going to meet with Theo and Jed today to work out the starting pitching rotation and announce it this afternoon.

So much for it all being Joe.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Time for my combination Comment on the postseason / Tom Petty Tribute:

"The waiting is the hardest part."

Thank you. Thank you very much.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Maddon is going to meet with Theo and Jed today to work out the starting pitching rotation and announce it this afternoon.

So much for it all being Joe.

Guy is a pretty big reason for Cubs ending a 108 year drought and all you do is bitch about him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Scherzer didn't throw off mound again on Wednesday..

Nats named Strasburg Game 1 starter this morning with a strong possibility Gonzalez goes Game 2..

As of now Scherzer is at best Game 3 starter or a possibility of missing NLDS all together...

So, cubs look to have caught a little break here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Scherzer didn't throw off mound again on Wednesday..

Nats named Strasburg Game 1 starter this morning with a strong possibility Gonzalez goes Game 2..

As of now Scherzer is at best Game 3 starter or a possibility of missing NLDS all together...

So, cubs look to have caught a little break here

He has a bullpen scheduled today, so does Gonzalez. The Nats will make a decision after that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He has a bullpen scheduled today, so does Gonzalez. The Nats will make a decision after that.
Cancelled for Scherzer....

Strasburg Game 1
Gonzalez Game 2
? Game 3

Their going to try again tomorrow bullpen for Scherzer..
So
As of now he questionable for Game 3 and 4

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Scherzer is going Game 3. Why you keep intimating that he might be held out longer is beyond me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Scherzer is going Game 3. Why you keep intimating that he might be held out longer is beyond me.
Because his manager says so..

"A lot depends on how he looks and feels," Baker said of Scherzer's status for Game 2 or 3. "We’ll let you know later."

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cancelled for Scherzer....

Strasburg Game 1
Gonzalez Game 2
? Game 3

Their going to try again tomorrow bullpen for Scherzer..
So
As of now he questionable for Game 3 and 4

If the nats lose tonight I think Scherzer goes game 2.