Around the League Happenings thread (Updated: 2018)

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
large.FB_IMG_1525702195771.jpg.45921ae58917218e1d0cecc3381dc927.jpg

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been up and down on OV over the years, but mostly love him. And glad to see him make it through finally.

Yep, same here. Tampa vs Washington will be a good series.

Go Vegas.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wanted to see Buff in the finals and all, but I still like not having a canadian team there more. hahah And I don't hate Winnipeg.

Agreed 100%.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love the way Vegas plays

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
you had a bunch of players with "chips" on their shoulders being told they were not wanted by their teams anymore.

But how can they possibly keep any future expansion draft the same way they ran this one just flipping the property all over? An expansion team deserves to suck the first 5 years.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seattle is the next expansion city on Bettmans list. If the cap goes up the expansion draft may not have the same type of talent Vegas had access to.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you had a bunch of players with "chips" on their shoulders being told they were not wanted by their teams anymore.

But how can they possibly keep any future expansion draft the same way they ran this one just flipping the property all over? An expansion team deserves to suck the first 5 years.

Why? I don't think they "deserved" to suck. Their team was all-in, they bought into their coach's gameplan, the coach *had* a viable gameplan, and their GM acquired the right pieces. That in every.other.club other club would deserve a win.

Hell, if the 'hawks had that this year rather than the skaters, the backup goalies, the coaching, and the GM sleepwalking through the year, they might not have needed Crawford playing at a Vezina clip for them to be *barely* a playoff team.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So, stupid question... with the stagnate cap growth, doesn't adding new teams also provide cap growth in a sense? I mean, if it only goes up say 1 mil. but you add a team like Vegas, then doesn't that effectively also add to the overall pool of money as well. So the cap is to make teams manage realistically say how many players can be a 10M a year player. But if you add another team, then that team can also add a high priced player so another contract is born. You add seattle and now you're adding more to the cap essentially, just not on a single team. If you don't move the cap up at all, but you add 2 teams, their is still a bigger pool of overall money so the average salary of players can go up. They just won't all be on the same team anymore because it will be redistributed, you add 2 teams and it's even more? Maybe the league can't support that many teams, but couldn't you add a team in lieu of raising the cap and try to keep some of the financial integrity of the league that way?