IGT: Chicago vs Washington Game 3

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I love how chill Wade Davis is. I know Theo and a lot of fans don't believe in paying top dollar for a closer, but I think the cubs are nuts to let him go without an obvious replacement.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love chill Wade Davis is. I know Theo and a lot of fans don't believe in paying top dollar for a closer, but I think the cubs are nuts to let him go without an obvious replacement.

Year in and out, Wade is one of the best closers in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love chill Wade Davis is. I know Theo and a lot of fans don't believe in paying top dollar for a closer, but I think the cubs are nuts to let him go without an obvious replacement.

Edwards is there closer of the future.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Reading and comprehension are two vastly different things.

A backup catcher is a catcher. If you can't play the position you are no backup.

Anyone at this point even suggesting Schwarber as catcher simply does not get it. THAT is the comprehension problem.

Might as well ask if Stevie Wonder can be backup catcher "just once in a while".

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I'll disagree. Marmoll is a good example of what the most talent can end up like in a closer role. They are far better off resigning Wade.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll disagree. Marmoll is a good example of what the most talent can end up like in a closer role. They are far better off resigning Wade.

So, Edwards is now Marmol? Lol

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see them keep davis but I don't know if they will. The BP doesn't feel all that deep if you move Edwards to closer next year. Also, if they are considering taking Monty out of the pen to start the BP is gonna need a lot of work.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A backup catcher is a catcher. If you can't play the position you are no backup.

Anyone at this point even suggesting Schwarber as catcher simply does not get it. THAT is the comprehension problem.

Might as well ask if Stevie Wonder can be backup catcher "just once in a while".
I didn't suggest that Schwarber was a catcher. THAT would be your comprehension problem. Diehardfan understood exactly what I posted. Although knowing how much it annoys you, I may push the Schwarber for backup catcher next year mantra, just so you're forced to read it over and over.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Marmol? Marmol isn't in the same zip code let alone the same county as Edwards. Marmol was a converted catcher. Edwards is a pitcher and has good stuff.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I don't think so, at least not near future

Not because he not good..
I just dont think he can do it consistently now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anyone see Edwards season? Joe went back to him and he responded. That’s a closer mentality. You move on

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Marmol: 2008: 2.68 ERA 87.1 IP 114 SO. Then he lost the ability to locate his slider for strikes. Marmol had all star type pitching ability also.

End of the day the best closers are the guys that have the best command.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Marmol? Marmol isn't in the same zip code let alone the same county as Edwards. Marmol was a converted catcher. Edwards is a pitcher and has good stuff.

Even though they were comparable agewise and with sporadic control trouble, that's about all the only comparisons there are. Marmol turned into a head case...he wasn't just walking guys, he was beaning them quite a bit as well. Edwards will get past his control issues, actually I'm pretty confident that he already has.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Even though they were comparable agewise and with sporadic control trouble, that's about all the only comparisons there are. Marmol turned into a head case...he wasn't just walking guys, he was beaning them quite a bit as well. Edwards will get past his control issues, actually I'm pretty confident that he already has.
Marmol was a good closer 1 year. He got everybody out, because they had Baez awareness of his slider off the plate. On e organizations knew he couldn't actually throw it for a strike, his career was over.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Marmol was a good closer 1 year. He got everybody out, because they had Baez awareness of his slider off the plate. On e organizations knew he couldn't actually throw it for a strike, his career was over.

His slider usage started to increase as he became a closer. He had a 96 4 seem so it wasn't like he was a 1 pitch pitcher but he was a knuckle head like that.

Now Edwards has a better mental make up than Marmol but he has the tendency to give up the big hit. It is kinda like Strop. Strop will go unnoticed for a 3 week stretch and then all of a sudden he will go on a string of games where he gives up the big hit. Talent wise Strop has one of the best sliders in the game but again he is known for giving up the big hit.

Again I would rather have a nice boring Davis. Gets outs. Boring as fuck. But ya know he is the rock that stabilizes the pen.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Marmol best years was when he was the 7th 8th inning guy..
Closing messed him up

Edwards like Marmol was has been really effective as the 7th 8th inning guy..

I could be wrong but i just dont see the "shut down" Closer in him now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol got paid and became a head case. Edwards is controlled for what? Another 4 or 5 years? Add in Maples and how vioaitile relievers are in this league. The Cubs are going to take a shot with oen of them.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The Cubs would likely keep Davis for a year or two but they aren’t going to go the 3/4 years that the market will dictate, especially for 33-36. Edwards has the stuff for sure to close but I wonder if he truly has the ability and mentality to do it. I wonder if David Robertson could be had from NY as an example.