My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Cubs would likely keep Davis for a year or two but they aren’t going to go the 3/4 years that the market will dictate, especially for 33-36. Edwards has the stuff for sure to close but I wonder if he truly has the ability and mentality to do it. I wonder if David Robertson could be had from NY as an example.
I would trade Schwarber for Robertson in a minute

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Marmol: 2008: 2.68 ERA 87.1 IP 114 SO. Then he lost the ability to locate his slider for strikes. Marmol had all star type pitching ability also.

End of the day the best closers are the guys that have the best command.

He never could control his slider. Teams just started learning not to swing at it. Once they figured him out he was finished.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
How does Dusty pitch to rizzo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just stupid. Not to mention, pulling Scherzer. Like, I said, not really nervous in this series because of Dusty. I just expect him to cost the Nats the series.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Marmol got paid and became a head case. Edwards is controlled for what? Another 4 or 5 years? Add in Maples and how vioaitile relievers are in this league. The Cubs are going to take a shot with oen of them.

Maples has the best pure stuff on the team and in the system. His issue has always been control. That is what cost him to move to the pen from a rotation prospect. They did try to have him learn command but it took away from his effectiveness.

He is one of those guys that will be on the fringe. Can hit 98. Wipe out slider with a knee buckling hammer. Great tools but he will walk too many to be dependable right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He never could control his slider. Teams just started learning not to swing at it. Once they figured him out he was finished.

More about location. He started it as a strike and it swept off the plate. That only works if he either counters with a fastball that both start at the same location. one stays and the other sweeps off. Jake has a slider/cutter combo where one breaks alittle and the other sweeps off.

Either way it would have kept Marmol effective. He just kept tossing the same pitch.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Davis is looking at Chapman payday, and he will get it.

best case, Edwards, Maples, maybe Rondon finds his stuff again when they show confidence in him again. Tseng looks unhittable once thru the lineup too. I do not think Justin Wilson is the answer. Definitely sounds like they should have til the deadline next year to invest again.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Dusty Baker got horribly outmanaged in Wrigley Field 14 (!!!) years ago yet some team still thinks they want him to be their manager in the playoffs.

The Nats never wanted him as their manager. He was a desperate fall back plan after the Lerners gave Bud Black an insulting offer and he walked.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Davis is looking at Chapman payday, and he will get it.

best case, Edwards, Maples, maybe Rondon finds his stuff again when they show confidence in him again. Tseng looks unhittable once thru the lineup too. I do not think Justin Wilson is the answer. Definitely sounds like they should have til the deadline next year to invest again.

Why you bringing up Tseng? He's not a RP. He's a starter. Additionally he's stuff isn't so dynamite that you make him a reliever. He's basically where we thought Hendricks was 2-3 years ago with marginally better stuff. Ideally he makes it as your #5 starter and if he's better than that you're thrilled.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Resigning Davis should be the priority. After that you have to replace Jake in the rotation.