IGT: Chicago @ Washington NLDS 2017 Game 4

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They'd have to eat about $40 mil but he could be moved. I just don't see that happening and I think those that think that Harper gets $350 mil are dreaming. I think he gets $450 with blinking an eye and no way do the Cubs do that.

I have a tough time believing he gets $45 mil/year. The luxury tax was what $190 or so last year and you're talking about one guy making 1/4th of that give or take? I can't imagine anyone doing that. Harper isn't even as good as Trout for a number of reasons and Trout isn't making that much.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They'd have to eat about $40 mil but he could be moved. I just don't see that happening and I think those that think that Harper gets $350 mil are dreaming. I think he gets $450 with blinking an eye and no way do the Cubs do that.
There always a chance he opts out after 2018..
He'll just be 29 and could look for a deal over 5 yrs and 20+ per for his last big contract..

As far as traded after 2018 if he opts in..
He'll be 29 and owed 20+ per for 5 yrs including an opt out after 2019

Cubs may not ask for much on return other then getting some salary relief if the plan is to bring in Harper..
A team looking more for defense and a vet leader may consider it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There always a chance he opts out after 2018..
He'll just be 29 and could look for a deal over 5 yrs and 20+ per for his last big contract..

As far as traded after 2018 if he opts in..
He'll be 29 and owed 20+ per for 5 yrs including an opt out after 2019

Cubs may not ask for much on return other then getting some salary relief if the plan is to bring in Harper..
A team looking more for defense and a vet leader may consider it

I just can't imagine the Cubs end up being the top bidder on Harper. The guy is a franchise maker and the Cubs don't need to be highest bidder on a player like that. I get the buddy thing with Bryant but you don't give up $100 mil for a buddy. Personally I still think Philly might make the most sense. They've got a ton of money, some good young players and are expected to be in on Arrieta this year. Three top FA plus their own talent opens a window for them. Atlanta could make sense but their FO is in chaos so not sure there. Maybe Texas. I'd be stunned by Harper to Chicago.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I just can't imagine the Cubs end up being the top bidder on Harper. The guy is a franchise maker and the Cubs don't need to be highest bidder on a player like that. I get the buddy thing with Bryant but you don't give up $100 mil for a buddy. Personally I still think Philly might make the most sense. They've got a ton of money, some good young players and are expected to be in on Arrieta this year. Three top FA plus their own talent opens a window for them. Atlanta could make sense but their FO is in chaos so not sure there. Maybe Texas. I'd be stunned by Harper to Chicago.

Doubt it has much to do with being "buddies" if he comes here. I mean it doesn't hurt that he's friends with some of the cubs but if he's coming to chicago it's to win a championship. Is that worth $100 mil? Possibly. Chicago is a big market winning a WS would make him even more of a face of MLB. I mean look he could go to any number of teams but if he goes to Philly they aren't a WS contender. They finished 66-96. Even if you give them Arrieta and Harper they are effectively tapped on money as much as the cubs would be. And who do they have prospect wise? Moniak is 19 and hit .236/.284/.341. Far from a safe bet. Sixto Sanchez is a 19 year old A ball pitcher. None of their guys are franchise changers at least as they appear today. Texas is the same deal. Neither of those teams has a prospect as good as Schwarber is presently and you have half the people on this board trying to get rid of Schwarber for various other cubs.

I just don't see him pulling the A-Rod move of taking god awful amounts of money to play on a terrible Texas team. And keep in mind that after that happened A-Rod eventually tried to take a pay cut to go to Boston and the union wouldn't let him. So, winning does matter to these guys. That's not to say there's not a winning team out there more likely than the cubs but I don't think the Phillies or Texas make that much sense personally.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Harper is coming to Chicago...The White Sox :)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems MLB asked TBS to slot the game for 1:00 P.M. and they refused.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Yeah, I figured that would be the case when I saw the weather this morning. Too much $$$$ lost. Now they'll get the 5:30 Eastern start, a bunch of delays and the primetime revenue they wanted in the fist place. I bet this thing drags on to 11:00.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I get it, they have to make their money. But there seems to be no way this game starts anytime near the listed start time if radar can be trusted.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I get it, they have to make their money. But there seems to be no way this game starts anytime near the listed start time if radar can be trusted.

See I've been looking at the radar and I do think they'll start. The front has slowed down some but once it hits it's there awhile. Best guess? Start on time, play until 5:15-5:30 and get back to it around 9-9:30.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Could see Lackey in play today if they start and a long delay happens where Arrieta cant return

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They will. The radar is pretty dark green and large.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Officially postponed, this is not good for us

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Ugh! Chicago weather :cubspalm:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are people so worried? If we gonna win the ship, we are going to have to go against best. I have no fear and the cubs don’t either. To be the man, you got to beat the man. Woooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon already said Arrieta would start tomorrow and Hendricks Game 5..

Seeing Strasburg twice in 5 days could be an advantage..

See what happens