chibears55

Liked Posts:
Baker says Roark starting tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet again, to be the best. You got to beat the best. I could care less if the cubs lose in the nlds. It’s ship or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
You guys realize the Nats have to beat Arrieta AND Hendricks on b2b days in two cities?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
THIS...IS...HILARIOUS...

Stephen Strasburg declines Game 4 start after rainout, leaving Nationals running for cover

Bob Nightengale | USA TODAY

CHICAGO — This was going to be Stephen Strasburg’s moment of glory.

The time he took the ball, thanks to Tuesday night’s rainout in Game 4 at Wrigley Field, and saved the Washington Nationals’ season.

It would be his opportunity to be a hero in Washington, erasing those painful memories of 2012 when he was shut down for the playoffs, perhaps ruining the Nationals’ best chance to win a World Series.

The Nationals were all set to pitch him Wednesday in Game 4 at 4:08 p.m. ET (TBS) at Wrigley Field, trailing 2-1 to the Chicago Cubs, only for Strasburg to decline.

He told them he’s under the weather.

He informed the Nationals’ staff that he ran a half-mile Tuesday afternoon, was wheezing during his run and simply isn’t prepared to start Wednesday, even though he’d be on regular rest, according to a person with direct knowledge of the Nationals' pitching plans.

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about internal deliberations.

So they are going back to Tanner Roark, while Strasburg waits to see if there even is a Game 5 on Thursday at Nationals Park.

Nationals manager Dusty Baker tried to cover for Strasburg at their press conference, saying that Strasburg threw a bullpen session Tuesday and was simply unavailable.

Only Strasburg actually threw his bullpen session Monday.

He didn’t throw a pitch Tuesday.

And decided, apparently, that he couldn’t go in Game 4.

Unbelievable.

This was a golden chance for the Nationals to flip the script, stealing the Cubs’ thunder from a year ago when they used a 17-minute rain delay in Cleveland to stem the Indians' comeback, reverse course and win Game 7 of the World Series.

This would be the rainout that saved the Nationals’ season, going with the guy who dominated the Cubs in Game 1, flirting with a no-hitter until the sixth inning and giving up just three hits and two unearned runs and striking out 10 Cubs in seven innings.

The same Strasburg who went 5-1 with a 0.84 ERA, yielding a .171 opponent’s batting average in his final eight regular-season starts.

The same Strasburg who finished with a career-best 2.52 ERA, yielding a league-low .317 slugging percentage and producing a franchise-best 35-inning scoreless streak.

Uh-uh. Strasburg is famously committed to his between-starts routine, even, as we know now, if it's an elimination game at hand.

“He’s under the weather,’’ Baker said, “like a lot of my team is.’’

Can he at least pitch out of the bullpen in Wednesday’s game, if necessary, knowing the season is on the line?

“I don't know, man,’’ Baker said. “I ain't even thinking about that to tell you the truth. I'm thinking Tanner's going to do his thing.’’

Roark, 13-11 with a 4.67 ERA, is a veteran pitcher with postseason experience. It will be the fourth postseason game of his career and his second start. He also has a 2-0 record and 1.56 ERA in his last three starts at Wrigley Field.

“We have full confidence in Tanner,’’ Baker said.

Yet he is not Stephen Strasburg.

He is not a $175 million pitcher.

He is not one of the faces of the franchise.

There’s a reason why he was the Nationals’ fourth choice to start a playoff game.

Maybe everything still works out for the Nationals, Roark wins and Strasburg closes it out in Game 5.

But maybe it backfires, the Nationals lose, Strasburg doesn’t throw another pitch until spring training and the Nats spend another winter being mocked for not having won a postseason series, with Cubs board member Todd Ricketts calling them chokers during their White House visit.

If you’re Strasburg, you better hope the Nationals win, you get a chance to close out the Cubs and be the man everyone envisioned when he was the No. 1 pick in 2009 Draft.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I read that initially earlier as some joke blaming the rain delay on him as under the weather being rained on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yet again, to be the best. You got to beat the best. I could care less if the cubs lose in the nlds. It’s ship or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much less could you care?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Strasburg story is one of the strangest things I've ever seen. Now we need to just jump all over Roark.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Strasburg story is one of the strangest things I've ever seen. Now we need to just jump all over Roark.

It doesn't make a lot of sense. Like I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just doesn't think he'll pitch 100% and dusty thought roark would be the better option but sure seems like they just put a lot of pressure on the team that was already in an elim game.

But i also feel for Stras cuz fuck this harvest air. I'm farther down south than chicago but my eyes have been so dry for weeks and there's been a lot of mucus in my system. That being said I'd still pitch if i were him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There are people that still blame Baker for Mark Priors career. Dusty knows he is done, to me it sure sounds like he is not going to have two pitchers pissing on his grave.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It doesn't make a lot of sense. Like I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just doesn't think he'll pitch 100% and dusty thought roark would be the better option but sure seems like they just put a lot of pressure on the team that was already in an elim game.

But i also feel for Stras cuz fuck this harvest air. I'm farther down south than chicago but my eyes have been so dry for weeks and there's been a lot of mucus in my system. That being said I'd still pitch if i were him.

Honestly if Baker asked Max Scherzer to pitch today on two days rest he would while Strasburg said yesterday he was too sick to play today on normal rest. You think the clubhouse doesn't know this? If they lose today with Strasburg on the bench he will never completely live it down.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There are people that still blame Baker for Mark Priors career. Dusty knows he is done, to me it sure sounds like he is not going to have two pitchers pissing on his grave.

I blame Prior for Prior's career. I blame Baker for being a pudwhack. Again, let's send him into retirement today.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
22448553_10155941770444742_8985320372117612464_n.jpg

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wade Boggs‏Verified account @ChickenMan3010 22m22 minutes ago

Really can't take the ball in an elimination game because of a runny nose sad. Not in my fox hole! #Cubs Win

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Too bad for Strasburg. Baker and Maddux are making him out to be a pussy so he is going to pitch to prove them wrong. Lets hope the booger balls end up in the dirt and not unhittable strikes.