Rose: 'I tried to recruit LeBron, Wade to Bulls in 2010'

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...recruit-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-chicago-2010

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - Part of the lore surrounding the Miami Heat landing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade as free agents in the summer of 2010 was not only the great recruiting presentation that Pat Riley pulled off in South Beach but also the poor recruiting pitch that Derrick Rose executed on behalf of the Chicago Bulls.

Seven years later, with James, Wade and Rose set to take the court for the first time as teammates on the Cleveland Cavaliers in Tuesday's preseason game against the Bulls (8 p.m. ET, ESPN), Rose revealed that he did try to lure James, Wade and Bosh to Chicago after all.

"Oh yeah, yeah, I tried," Rose said after shootaround Tuesday. "People always said that I didn't recruit. I tried to recruit. I put out the video, but it wasn't for me to say that. I felt like it was for the organization to say that."

Rose said he filmed a video in which he recruited the big three to join him on a Bulls team that had a young core of Luol Deng, Taj Gibson and Joakim Noah already.

When asked why this revelation was just coming to light now, Rose replied, "I just wanted to see who had my back," presumably referring to members of the Bulls front office who could have corrected the perception that Rose was hands-off by telling the media about the video that was filmed.

Rose said he is unaware of whether James, Wade and Bosh ever saw the video.

"[The Bulls] didn't say anything about it," Rose said. "They sent it; I don't know if they really actually looked at it or played the video, but I made the video, but at the time it really wasn't for me to say that."

James told The Athletic's Jason Lloyd that Rose reached out to him personally but did not confirm whether he saw the video.

"He was basically saying, 'Everybody is out here saying that I don't want you to come here and saying that we can't play together,'" James told The Athletic. "He said, 'I'd love for you to come to Chicago because all I care about is winning.'"

EDITOR'S PICKS

Chicago's dream backcourt finally becomes reality -- in Cleveland
For years, Bulls fans had visions of Chicago natives Dwyane Wade and Derrick Rose sharing a backcourt. The former All-Stars have finally teamed up, and they're loving life with the Cavaliers.

The LeBron-Wade duo is reunited, and the stakes are as high as ever
The NBA is still feeling the reverberations from the first time LeBron James and Dwyane Wade paired up. Will it work again?
Rose fed the misconception of his refusal to recruit when asked about it in December 2011.

"I'm not going to do that," Rose said at the time when asked about trying to persuade guys to come to Chicago. "If you want to come here, come here, but it's not up to me to make that decision. I'm not paying them."

At that point, however, free agency had come and gone and Rose had teammates to protect. Publicly pining for Wade, James and Bosh could have put a strain on relationships.

Wade said that he, James and Rose have not revisited the missed opportunity from 2010 since coming together in Cavs training camp the past couple weeks.

"We haven't discussed it, honestly," Wade said. "We've really just been focusing on here. We've only been together a little over a week and LeBron has been out, so we haven't even been together whole on the basketball floor. But I have spoken to the media.

"From my standpoint I thought there was two times I might play with D-Rose. I thought the Miami Heat was getting the first pick in 2008. I thought we was going to play with D-Rose. Didn't get that one. Then in 2010 came an opportunity and that didn't happen. And then the time when you least expect it, it happens.

"That's the league we play in. I just love getting to know him, love how he looks, how comfortable he looks here, the way he's playing right now. We're thankful to have him, especially with [Isaiah Thomas] being out, to have a guy like D-Rose to step in and be the starting point guard, how many teams have that luxury?"

Wade said there was no ill will from how Rose, then just 23 years old, handled his business.

"That's not his personality," Wade said. "Don't want to do something that's not in someone's personality. We knew he wanted us to come in. He didn't have to be on our line all the time. We knew that. We just made a decision that was better for us."

Miami went on to make four straight Finals, winning it all twice, before James returned to Cleveland in 2014. Chicago lost to Miami in the Eastern Conference finals in 2011 and has not been beyond the second round since, as Rose battled persistent injuries before eventually being traded to the New York Knicks in the summer of 2016.

"They're men, they're going to make their own decisions," Rose said. "Their families, if they had families at the time. They were going to do whatever was comfortable for not only them but their families. So with Miami, taking them, I wasn't like mad at them or holding grudges against them because they made the right decisions and they won two championships right off the bat."

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None of this is surprising. And regardless of whether or not this video was made and viewed, pretty sure they had their minds made up already.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That part never bothered me about Rose. Heck, most of us had no issues with him until his injuries and Reggie becoming vocal.

IMO the league is not as good because of this player collusion. I don't think LeBron or Bosh were going anywhere but Miami in 2010, and they both knew damn well what was happening. I liked Rose a bit more when I thought of him as a principled player that didn't recruit.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That part never bothered me about Rose. Heck, most of us had no issues with him until his injuries and Reggie becoming vocal.

IMO the league is not as good because of this player collusion. I don't think LeBron or Bosh were going anywhere but Miami in 2010, and they both knew damn well what was happening. I liked Rose a bit more when I thought of him as a principled player that didn't recruit.
Kind of funny seeing people's attitudes about the whole recruiting thing over time with Rose and the general superstar team up concept. There was eventually a lot of clamor about Rose not recruiting in 2010, justified or not. Then when it came to Melo there was all that drama about whether or not Rose was recruiting. People are all about Rose teaming up with someone. Meanwhile elsewhere, superstars team up and people hate them for it. You can argue the situations were different, but the general idea is the same, is it not? Put all the good players on the same team.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He didn't recruit shit and said back then he won't recruit

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
we know Derrick. When Wade got here last year, he said that he and Lebron wanted that third top player, so they did not think you were it.

Funny now how LeBron gets his way, his money, while Wade and Rose are playing for 2 million each and one will be coming off the bench when the midget replasces him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
we know Derrick. When Wade got here last year, he said that he and Lebron wanted that third top player, so they did not think you were it.

Funny now how LeBron gets his way, his money, while Wade and Rose are playing for 2 million each and one will be coming off the bench when the midget replasces him.
Heck, they could both be coming off the bench in theory if they opt to start Crowder or JR over one of them. Would be a heck of a bench unit.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Who cares? With GarPax in the FO and the Reinsdorfs in control of the team, they had no shot at getting the best free agents no matter what Rose did or did not do, period.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
I told you Rose-hating idiots years ago that he tried to recruit, but they already had their minds made up.

I also told you and the Rose-haters on realgm that the Bulls franchise would not attract any blue chip free agents because of the way they treated Rose when he was returning from injury. Also, the message board fan base are mostly racist idiots. Realgm and this place are two great examples. Great players don’t want racist fans and organizations that turn on the home town kid when he tears ACLs.

The mods of realgm Bulls are bigots that forced that message board to turn against Rose, because they wanted him to return quicker than he did, even though there was no way in hell they would win a championship that season. They also didn’t like the fact that this kid and his family from the ghetto had power in the organization. They banned any poster that spoke up for Rose.

Realgm used to get 100 page game threads routinely before Duck and the others turned it into an anti-Rose message board. Now in last few years the site has been dying and barely able to get 20 page game threads ... lol

Realgm killed themselves. This site will do the same if they don’t get rid of all the racists.

Look at some of my past posts. I’ve proven that I’m correct.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I told you Rose-hating idiots years ago that he tried to recruit, but they already had their minds made up.

I also told you and the Rose-haters on realgm that the Bulls franchise would not attract any blue chip free agents because of the way they treated Rose when he was returning from injury. Also, the message board fan base are mostly racist idiots. Realgm and this place are two great examples. Great players don’t want racist fans and organizations that turn on the home town kid when he tears ACLs.

The mods of realgm Bulls are bigots that forced that message board to turn against Rose, because they wanted him to return quicker than he did, even though there was no way in hell they would win a championship that season. They also didn’t like the fact that this kid and his family from the ghetto had power in the organization. They banned any poster that spoke up for Rose.

Realgm used to get 100 page game threads routinely before Duck and the others turned it into an anti-Rose message board. Now in last few years the site has been dying and barely able to get 20 page game threads ... lol

Realgm killed themselves. This site will do the same if they don’t get rid of all the racists.

Get over yourself, loser:(

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Please provide examples of racist posts on this board regarding Derrick Rose.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

What the....

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Don't think Chicago's FA issues has to do with how they treated Rose coming back from injury. Nice try though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

:speechless:

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

The bulls franchise treat rose too well. they let him sit out a whole season after doctors cleared him to play.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think Rose's ACLs are racist.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I may be way off base here, but the fact Rose flat out said he'd never recruit may have had something to do with minds being made up. thats just a theory though.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Like previously stated in this thread, they had their minds made up a long time ago.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
Get over yourself, loser:(

From your first few months on this site when you were pretending to be an old man that didn’t know how to correctly post coherent sentences, I knew that you were one of the RealGM Mods. I just didn’t know if you were Duck, Fleet, or Rerisen.

I now know.

By the way ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glEiPXAYE-U
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glEiPXAYE-U[/video]

:dealwithit: