Bleacher Report: Bears Should Trade For Amari Cooper

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
22 yrs old, every game played, 83 catches and nearly 1200 yds. That's his most recent complete yr/stat line.

That WAYYYYYY more meaningful and indicative than TDs; there are a million reasons why a WR may or may not rack up TDs.

If you think a 22 yr old playing every game and catching over 80 catches is disappointing, then you're out of touch with football.

but he is more Rishard Mathews than Julio Jones and was drafted #5 or something. Its why you don't take WR's that early. They aren't getting Sheldon Mack value out of him, or LT, or CB.

When you take a top 10 WR they need to be a hall of famer or you messed up.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Amari Cooper would look like Jerry Rice compared to the bums on this team. If he was available for a 3rd/4th I would take that in a heartbeat. Your chances of finding a player in those rounds with as much potential and as high of a ceiling as Cooper is very slim.

Yes, Pace has hit in those rounds, but he can find sleepers anywhere in the draft. If there is someone he really likes and feels is a great value, I am sure he wouldn't hesitate to make a trade on draft day to get his guy.

I say make the trade if it is there ad worry about the rest later.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Their fans are calling Cooper a bust?

:cringe:

Wonder what they would call Kevin White?

Busted?

I know why it happens but I say it every year, I don't like taking WRs that early when there are still other positions with similar value on the board. The meh potential is great and they can't do much on their own even when good.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears need to continue to bring in young guys even into year 3 and 4 of the rebuild. Virginia loves to pick up on the early twenty year olds.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Bears should have traded up to draft Cooper. White has been outstanding though. I'd still drop the early second on him, time to admit a failure and White is that.

I disagree on the trading up. It’s obvious now in hindsight, but at the time, the Bears were in a pretty good position to get their choice of elite receivers, knowing that Leonard Williams, Scherff and the two QBs were going to be off the board before the Bears pick. Cooper could’ve easily dropped to the Bears, and it seemed likely at the time. Even if someone disagrees on that last point, the fact of the matter is that at the time, Cooper and White were absolutely evenly matched. Sure, there are message board heroes who will stand up now and say they knew all along that Cooper >White, but the large consensus among people who know the game was that they were basically even on potential.

So to look at two receivers who were perceived to be equal at the time and use the foresight of the future to say they should’ve traded up to get the one who actually worked out is intellectually dishonest.

I feel the same way about Trubisky/Watson. Even if Watson ends up being the superior player, I won’t begrudge the Bears for trading up and getting the guy seen by near-consensus as being the best quarterback in the draft, no matter what the message board Svengalis say, not that I’m lumping you into that category.

34_Bear

Liked Posts:
The scouting I remember said Cooper was the polished route runner with good hands and lower ceiling and higher floor. White was all upside and raw and unpolished, therefore a higher risk.

Hindsight is 20/20. I wanted Cooper but he wasn't available.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I disagree on the trading up. It’s obvious now in hindsight, but at the time, the Bears were in a pretty good position to get their choice of elite receivers, knowing that Leonard Williams, Scherff and the two QBs were going to be off the board before the Bears pick. Cooper could’ve easily dropped to the Bears, and it seemed likely at the time. Even if someone disagrees on that last point, the fact of the matter is that at the time, Cooper and White were absolutely evenly matched. Sure, there are message board heroes who will stand up now and say they knew all along that Cooper >White, but the large consensus among people who know the game was that they were basically even on potential.

So to look at two receivers who were perceived to be equal at the time and use the foresight of the future to say they should’ve traded up to get the one who actually worked out is intellectually dishonest.

I feel the same way about Trubisky/Watson. Even if Watson ends up being the superior player, I won’t begrudge the Bears for trading up and getting the guy seen by near-consensus as being the best quarterback in the draft, no matter what the message board Svengalis say, not that I’m lumping you into that category.

I remember Cooper being pretty widely rated as the best WR in that draft. I don't remember many mocks that had Cooper falling to the Bears.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The scouting I remember said Cooper was the polished route runner with good hands and lower ceiling and higher floor. White was all upside and raw and unpolished, therefore a higher risk.

Even if that’s true, was that distinction between the two enough to validate giving up assets and not just getting the one that fell to you, knowing the whole time both might? From what I remember, the consensus was No. Anyone who says otherwise was in the super minority.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
And now they both suck. Life is funny that way.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:

Cooper sucks?

serious.gif

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

LOL, wut? He's had over 1,000 in both his seasons. Shit, he had a better game last night than White has had a career.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
LOL, wut? He's had over 1,000 in both his seasons. Shit, he had a better game last night than White has had a career.
Yeah frankly that's what I get for commenting when I haven't seen him play. Just remembered another thread where the people were bitching about him sucking this year.

I'll just shut up about Amari Cooper now ( and no, not shutting up for good).