Can Whitehair cut it as an NFL center?

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
I think Whitehair's best days will be at Guard. Also I don't think we need to go searching for a new starting Center...we do have Grasu. Going into next year.... moving Sitton before age makes him a liability and going with a liine of Whitehair - Grasu - Long, would be the best scenario for the team's short term future.

There needs to be a heavy concentration on acquiring receiving talent next season.... sign one or two quality WR... though it doesn't look like any sure fire #1 talent will be available. The defense will hopefully continue to improve as it does have a wealth of young players most of who aren't in thier primes yet.... while a few others are in there primes and playing well. Just don't want to go into next season with the Offensive line being an issue. Right now they are playing well... just need to be tweaked.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
He is a guard but the problem is the Bears already have two pretty good guards in Kyle and Sitton. He will remain at center because of this.

Long is ok but we need youth at guard with Sitton not getting any younger

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
If he was how the hell did he make it into the second round?
Not sure if he was 'the' top rated... but he was one of the best. His size.... short arms... is why he was projected at Guard over Tackle... and he was projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round.

I see him just as we viewed Long. Long was tried at RT... but he's an All-Pro at guard.... Whitehair may be the same. Let Grasu play center.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not if you want to run a shotgun play. He has the potential to be a ProBowl guard. They should trade Sitton(age) or Long (injury concerns) for a good Center. A good center can help a young QB by identifying line adjustments and snapping the ball correctly. Even a slightly wrong snap throws off the whole timing of a play. A horrible snap can loose you a game or get your QB killed. Then you put Whitehair in at guard and have a high caliber Guard and Center for years to come. Whitehair would still be an option at backup center also which adds to line depth.

What you guys are forgetting is that trades are rare in the NFL. Trading Long is nuts and is not going t happen. As for Sitton, he is still a good guard.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Big Cat thinks his arms are not long enough to play Tackle. He's still young move him to Guard and let him master one position, instead of 3.

Whitehair was a great college offensive tackle. What I am saying is that the Bears have a weakness at center not guard. I do not think that you solve a problem by creating another problem. They did that with their receivers. How did that work out?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone looks pretty good to you... Except Leno.. sitton looks old and broken. We should be getting ready for his retirement party if we're a smart organization.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope. Not everything looks pretty good to me, especially about this team we are talking about. I am pretty damn critical of it if you have read what I have had to say about its make-up. You are simply wrong about Sitton and LEno also. Sitton is good. Leno is bad. As for the BEars being a "smart" organization, that is a total joke all right.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Whitehair's best days will be at Guard. Also I don't think we need to go searching for a new starting Center...we do have Grasu. Going into next year.... moving Sitton before age makes him a liability and going with a liine of Whitehair - Grasu - Long, would be the best scenario for the team's short term future.

There needs to be a heavy concentration on acquiring receiving talent next season.... sign one or two quality WR... though it doesn't look like any sure fire #1 talent will be available. The defense will hopefully continue to improve as it does have a wealth of young players most of who aren't in thier primes yet.... while a few others are in there primes and playing well. Just don't want to go into next season with the Offensive line being an issue. Right now they are playing well... just need to be tweaked.

Our starting tackles are the worst pair in football. Particularly in pass protection. This forces them to keep the tight ends as primarily blockers.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glennons arms are too long. Trubisky's arms are too short. Cutler was just right so limited snap problems.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably because it was a weak draft for offensive tackles. He was a high second round pick.

and because not one team viewed him as a tackle, much less a LT in the NFL.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
and because not one team viewed him as a tackle, much less a LT in the NFL.

I agree with how many didn't view him as a tackle but rather as a guard. This is the Bear's, however, and they need two offensive tackles and he played very well as a college tackle so why not try him there. I said the same identical thing about Long. He was also a guy who some teams thought could play either position. I also think that they should have kept him at right tackle. Bottom line, Sitton is a good guard and I do not want to see this Bear's team next year getting rid of him and keeping Massie and Leno as starters because both of them are shitty.

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:
Whitehair has a case of the yips - outside of the snap issues, he seems to be playing well and making his assignments. I think he is fine at center.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Actually being able to snap the ball seems to be a pretty important part of the job description to me.

mecha

Liked Posts:
he was fine last year. I can't really explain the logistics behind why he snapped the ball the way he did, and as many times as he did it. it's a miracle Trubisky didn't lose any of those.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What you guys are forgetting is that trades are rare in the NFL. Trading Long is nuts and is not going t happen. As for Sitton, he is still a good guard.[/Q
Will he still be in three years when the Bears should be good?

No. So what? IF they want to go out and draft a young o-lineman or two, I am all for it. But they should look to replace the shitty ones that are there now as in Leno and Massie. WHitehair, though, is a guy who I think can play multiple line positions just as Long can. This gives the coaching staff a lot of flexibility. But it is the tackles that need to be replaced if this line is going to be a mainstay of the team.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whitehair has a case of the yips - outside of the snap issues, he seems to be playing well and making his assignments. I think he is fine at center.

Sometimes the yips are never fixed. The thing with Whitehair has got to be mental and mental is tough to fix. I am a perfect example of that:)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually being able to snap the ball seems to be a pretty important part of the job description to me.

It is and can absolutely cost them a football game with the turnovers let alone busting up the play before it can get executed. The guy has a long time to figure it out in a throwaway season, though, and he might be able to over-come it I hope;