What Theo needs to do in 2018

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They aren't standing pat with Lester and Hendricks at 1 and 2. Every season is precious.
Exactly...

They have an oppoetunity to bolster the rotation with a FA signing (cobb) and a trade..

Why go backwards with guys like Samardzija and or lesser FAs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Exactly...

They have an oppoetunity to bolster the rotation with a FA signing (cobb) and a trade..

Samardzija isn't a step backwards for a 4 or a 5. And you get rid of a guy who hurts the lineup in Chicago and may have a rebirth elsewhere.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Exactly...

We I really don’t know what Jake is going to bring over the length of his next contract. It most likely will not match up to what he’s going to receive in payments. And Cobb equaled Jake’s WAR in a off season. He is a 2-2.5 WAR guy. Pretty much a #4

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Samardzija isn't a step backwards for a 4 or a 5. And you get rid of a guy who hurts the lineup in Chicago and may have a rebirth elsewhere.
Samatdzija a career under. 500 and over 4 ERA at 33 YO..

Rather spend that money on Cobb over the next 3 + years

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
With going from Heyward to Shark and Melancon, you are going form 5 years of contract to 3. You are considering Heyward to be wasted space already, so replacing wasted space with a great 5th starter and possible closer is a massive win.

You also leave RF open for possible Harper signing or Otani. And after 2020 you are now free of the 2 contracts and can resign any superstar on your team. And if you sign Harper then you can stomach trading Schwarbs for a TOR and he will have 2018 to increase his value for that.

I don't understand how people see this as a bad move.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see it as:

Archer will cost 2 MLB
Nola 1 plus a prospect.

One has more history other had a eye opening year.

So in either case I would be fine losing Happ in honestly because it fills a need

Cobb is a 4 starter. He is not a potential upgrade to Hendricks. He is a cheaper alternative to Jake. That is it. If that is what they want we’ll alittle disappointing but has the feel of budget.

If they do a combo of both then honestly they should just trade Tseng and Alzolay while they are at it. No need to hold them with the rotation locked in. Makes more sense to develop Lange, Little and Albertos

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Samatdzija a career under. 500 and over 4 ERA at 33 YO..

Rather spend that money on Cobb over the next 3 + years

W-L is a team dependent stat.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why are people still talking like Heyward to SF was ever a thing?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why are people still talking like Heyward to SF was ever a thing?

It started from Kaplin. Nice to know it gained waves

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Won't both sides deny it until it actually happens?

That's the most convoluted logic ever to use as reason a trade is going to happen. You could literally say that about any player/team combo because there's no way to disprove the argument.

Even if there wasn't the giant issue of making the contracts work for both sides, all 3 players have some form of NTC. And if you're Heyward why the fuck would you waive your NTC to go from an NCLS team to a team that lost 98 games?

CSF77 said:
It started from Kaplin. Nice to know it gained waves

Kaplan isn't a source I'd be citing. When has he ever broken anything? Might as well be citing Bruce Levine. Actually that's probably a bit unfair. Kaplan isn't constantly spouting nonsense like Levine. Regardless, the idea is straight out of a video game trade system a la madden. I can imagine any actual GM taking it seriously. Teams don't just eat 6 years and $100+ mil in contract like Heyward has. They'd be far better of just going out and signing Cain and trying to move Melancon separately.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's the most convoluted logic ever to use as reason a trade is going to happen. You could literally say that about any player/team combo because there's no way to disprove the argument.

Even if there wasn't the giant issue of making the contracts work for both sides, all 3 players have some form of NTC. And if you're Heyward why the fuck would you waive your NTC to go from an NCLS team to a team that lost 98 games?

Kaplan isn't a source I'd be citing. When has he ever broken anything? Might as well be citing Bruce Levine. Actually that's probably a bit unfair. Kaplan isn't constantly spouting nonsense like Levine. Regardless, the idea is straight out of a video game trade system a la madden. I can imagine any actual GM taking it seriously. Teams don't just eat 6 years and $100+ mil in contract like Heyward has. They'd be far better of just going out and signing Cain and trying to move Melancon separately.

U can backlog some of his podcasts. He has been spouting that deal for a while on them

chibears55

Liked Posts:
W-L is a team dependent stat.
Sure if were talking about a guy pitching in tough luck for a season..

We're talking about a guy who since being a full time starter the last 6 years has been over .500 once and that was 1 game over, and has posted an ERA over 4 in 3 of those years..

So for him, it a bit more then just a team thing as to why he dont win more then he loses...

Again, i doubt their intetested in 3 yrs of him now at 20 per if they werent intetested before

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m just wondering why they feel it is 0%. Is it their view of their guys or their opinion of Heyward or is it regarding the opt out where they most likely lose him.

What they said can be interpreted in many ways and is pretty unflattering to Heyward who just got another GG.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

We're talking about a guy who since being a full time starter the last 6 years has been over .500 once and that was 1 game over, and has posted an ERA over 4 in 3 of those years..

So for him, it a bit more then just a team thing as to why he dont win more then he loses...

Again, i doubt their intetested in 3 yrs of him now at 20 per if they werent intetested before

How many pitchers won when the Cubs were dog shit a few short years ago? W-L and ERA are team dependent stats. ERA depends on poor defenders like Schwarber in the OF.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

No. W-L has little or nothing to do with a pitcher. The fact that really good pitchers win a lot of games is coincidental not causal. The fact his Samardzija puts up marginal 3, solid 4 numbers year after year with remarkable consistency. He was the 15th best pitcher in baseball in 2017 statistically. This strange bias Cubs fans have against Samardzija is silly. He's no more of a redass than Lackey and he's just about as much of a competitor. Also his $20 million per directly coincides with teh fact that his lowest WAR as a starter has been 2.5 which based on $8 mil per WAR comes to $20 mil. All of this is fact, none of it is conjecture.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just look how much Lack got in his late 30’s to see how much pitching costs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
How many pitchers won when the Cubs were dog shit a few short years ago? W-L and ERA are team dependent stats. ERA depends on poor defenders like Schwarber in the OF.
The great Paul Maholm was 9 - 6 in his 20 starts with the cubs in 2012..

The superior Scott Feldman was 7-6 in his 15 starts with the cubs in 2013..

So there 2 starters that aren't that great who finished over .500 pitching on those crappy teams Samardzija did and pitched a combined 9 games under those 2 years..

Are those 2 guys better pitchers then Samardzija?

2014 As had 2 guys over .500
Samardzija was under..

2015 a rookie Rodon was 3 over .500 for the Whitesox while Samardzija was gettingg trashed with an ERA near 5 and under .500 again..

Again it not always about the team...