What Theo needs to do in 2018

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't want Samatdzija and neither does Epstein...
Lol
We can move on from him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The great Paul Maholm was 9 - 6 in his 20 starts with the cubs in 2012..

The superior Scott Feldman was 7-6 in his 15 starts with the cubs in 2013..

So there 2 starters that aren't that great who finished over .500 pitching on those crappy teams Samardzija did and pitched a combined 9 games under those 2 years..

Are those 2 guys better pitchers then Samardzija?

2014 As had 2 guys over .500
Samardzija was under..

2015 a rookie Rodon was 3 over .500 for the Whitesox while Samardzija was gettingg trashed with an ERA near 5 and under .500 again..

Again it not always about the team...

Samardzija had a 3.8 WAR in 2017. That ranks him 15th best in 2017 right behind Quintana. I rest my case that he would be worth strong consideration.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Samardzija had a 3.8 WAR in 2017. That ranks him 15th best in 2017 right behind Quintana. I rest my case that he would be worth strong consideration.
Not sure where you got that WAR from but baseball reference has him at 2.4 for 2017

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not sure where you got that WAR from but baseball reference has him at 2.4 for 2017

Well let's see. If I didn't get it from Baseball Reference, I must have gotten it from Fangraphs, because Fangraphs method for Pitchers WAR is currently considered better.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No im right..

He was looking for a deal like he gave Lackey..
2 yrs 16 per

He not taking him now at 3 yrs and 20 per..

If he wasnt willing to give him that then.. 2 seasons ago

OK. You just keep thinking that. It doesn't make you any less wrong.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Epstein didnt want him in 2014 , he doesn't want him now

Dude, he wanted him prior to 2016 and when he wanted more than the 5/$75 they offered him they moved on to Lackey and Shark signed with the Giants. Again, they made him an offer prior to 2016. Oh and this trade has no chance. I would not at all be shocked if they looked at Samardzija in another deal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lmao...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure this is a butt hurt deal

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How many pitchers won when the Cubs were dog shit a few short years ago? W-L and ERA are team dependent stats. ERA depends on poor defenders like Schwarber in the OF.

Let’s not blame Shark’s era on the D.

W-L? I will give you that, though he couldn’t get to 10.

But his eta is not someone else’s fault. He changed teams three times and hasn’t lowered it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No. W-L has little or nothing to do with a pitcher. The fact that really good pitchers win a lot of games is coincidental not causal. The fact his Samardzija puts up marginal 3, solid 4 numbers year after year with remarkable consistency. He was the 15th best pitcher in baseball in 2017 statistically. This strange bias Cubs fans have against Samardzija is silly. He's no more of a redass than Lackey and he's just about as much of a competitor. Also his $20 million per directly coincides with teh fact that his lowest WAR as a starter has been 2.5 which based on $8 mil per WAR comes to $20 mil. All of this is fact, none of it is conjecture.

A pitcher can pitch well and get a loss or can pitch poorly and get a win. It is true that W-L is not the best way to evaluate a pitcher. But to say it has little or nothing to do with how a pitcher pitched is very inaccurate.

Over time, the luck evens out, and the records of pitchers certainly do reflect their performance. No poor pitcher is winning 200 games, and good pitchers don’t fail to win year after year after year.

While a team’s offensive performance can affect W-L greatly over short periods, it doesn’t over the long haul.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let’s not blame Shark’s era on the D.

W-L? I will give you that, though he couldn’t get to 10.

But his eta is not someone else’s fault. He changed teams three times and hasn’t lowered it.
W-L and ERA are team-dependent stats. Fact!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And while some pitchers may get hit hard early, they bear down and stay in the game, often long enough to get a W instead of a L or no decision.

Others - Traechsel are you listening? - whine when they lose 2-1, but score 5 in the first, and they’ll cough it up.

It is a mistake to believe starting pitchers have no control over Wins and Losses.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
W-L and ERA are team-dependent stats. Fact!

Like flipping a coin. Over the long haul, it is less snd less due to the team not scoring when you pitch.

Pitch for avteam that has no range defensively? Yes, it will cost you. Think Mike Leake in St Louis. Team absolutely has an effect. No argument. But there is NO way it is accurate to say a pitcher has little to no effect on his record. That’s simply not so.