Why no RPO?

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:
I know our receiving core is one of the worst in the league and we are starting a rookie QB but why aren't the Bears coaching staff running any RPO? You would think that makes the most sense because Mitch played in the Shotgun 98 percent of the time in college and howard lead the lead in rushing out of the shotgun. Can someone please explain to me the downside of running the RPO more for a rookie QB?

Thanks

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
Yeah gotta be the center they are afraid of. Whitehair has been garbage this year.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you watched the guy snapping the ball?

Wasn't he a probowlers last year? I don't think he's the reason why they aren't running a run pass option

So the answer is no, you have somehow watched the games without noticing the wild pitches shooting out of our center’s ass? Btw, Trubiskys nickname is now Pele

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Running like Russel Wilson is fine, running like RGIII no. It's one thing when he is forced to scramble, but called QB runs, the coaches have to know for a fact he will protect himself. So far he looks good sliding to avoid shots, I would just hate to see our savior get his ass kicked as a rookie. The Bears are going nowhere this season, work the RPO in slowly, the coaches need to know 100% he will not lower his shoulder for a meaningless 1st down in a meaningless game.

And get that shotgun snap squared away.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think RPO is like audibles but a run play and a pass play the QB can check in and out of, not a QB run play.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think RPO is like audibles but a run play and a pass play the QB can check in and out of, not a QB run play.

I stand corrected, I was thinking read option, which is so 3 seasons ago. The Seahawks and Wilson still run it, most teams stopped running it so much or ever to keep the QB alive. I have no problem with it if you have a smart QB with survival instincts, and you don't over do it.

The Fox crew was talking about the Bears using the RPO with Mitch, and Bradshaw said the problem is the rookies will always go with the pass. I have no idea if Terry was in smart mode or insane mode when he said that.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If you got Vick or Tebow that's pretty much what you've accepted, and a short career. I would try to keep Trubisky and Watson from it as much as possible, only for break down/last option.

Thing is what other teams are showing Bears they should be going pass. I would worry if a rookie would make the right calls.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The reason why the shotgun-based RPO would work with the Bears is due to the fact that we have Howard who averaged 7 ypc from that formation last year. The handoff read to Howard would allow for some separation as the LBers would have to make a run check step before they broke into coverage. It would open up some running lanes since it would usually be insane to stack the box against the shotgun formation. Biscuit doesn't have to run that often with the RPO, maybe, just one or two carries a game, if that.

Again, I was constantly complaining about why I didn't see the RPO until Whitehair botched a shotgun snap and almost cost us the game. So, the reason why there is no shotgun-based RPO is due to the shitpile at center.

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:
If you got Vick or Tebow that's pretty much what you've accepted, and a short career. I would try to keep Trubisky and Watson from it as much as possible, only for break down/last option.

Thing is what other teams are showing Bears they should be going pass. I would worry if a rookie would make the right calls.

Just because they run the play doesn't mean the QB has to run often if ever. Just this last week I saw the following QBs run it consistently.
Marcus Mariota
Alex Smith
Cam Newton
Deshaun Watson
Mathew Stanford
Carson Wentz
Jameson Winston
Jared Goff
Trevor Simeon

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah gotta be the center they are afraid of. Whitehair has been garbage this year.

I wouldn't saw he's been garbage. He's obviously had way too many bad snaps and has had some holding calls but he still does some really good things on the field.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't saw he's been garbage. He's obviously had way too many bad snaps and has had some holding calls but he still does some really good things on the field.

He's garbage snapping the ball.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
It means Run Pass Option

QB can either hand it to the RB in backfield, Pass it or take off running

Just reading this thread it seemed like people were confusing the read option with the run pass option. Not talking about you specifically, but others have mixed up the two.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just reading this thread it seemed like people were confusing the read option with the run pass option. Not talking about you specifically, but others have mixed up the two.

Trubisky should not have the option to read books.... he is a godamned football player, he should be playing football.