IGT: NLCS Chicago vs Los Angeles Game 3

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My entire point is that it's harder to get something going when you aren't hitting home runs. I'm not saying they need to totally change their line up or anything but having one guy who can help create their own scoring opportunities would help. As things stand right now you have a group who if someone gets a single you then need 2 hits or a HR to score runs. If the guy who gets a hit were able to steal some bases you only need a hit to the outfield to have a chance at scoring.

In my opinion this is why you often see the unevenness the cubs have with run production where they go through spells where they either score 6 runs or 1-2 for weeks on end. Not saying the cubs are the only team built this way either. It was long a way of building your team during the steroid era. I just feel like they have too many guys who can walk and hit HRs but not enough guys like Almora who put balls into play and not enough speed.

LF: Schwarber hits HR’s. Takes walks which off sets his SO’s. Keeper.

CF: Almora: high contact type. I like him lower in the order to put the ball into play with higher walk types ahead of him. Make him full time.

RF: Heyward: really don’t have a choice her but see above with Almora. Both are ideal lower in the order.

3B: no need to go there

SS:Russell. Up and down but takes walks and seems to make the big hit. Keeper

2B: under debate

1B: see 3B

C: See 1st and 3rd

So if there is any place that they could upgrade it is 2B. I for one believe that Baez has too much SO for his lower walk rate. Sure he can carry a team on his back but when he is off he brings little value. And trust me him batting #8 and Almora hitting in a RBI spot? Should be the other way around but again it comes down to SO rates and Almora is a guy who makes things happen vs Baez has to be seeing the ball to make it happen.

So honestly idk if Happ is the answer here. He walks at a 10% clip and he was on pace for 30 HR’s or more in his first season. Personally I would go there. I think that you have more to gain with Happ getting 600 AB’s and near 600 AB’s with Almora. Zo should be pushed into a reserve role. His time has passed and he is taking away AB’s from the future.

That said. Pretty disappointing that LAD has pretty much spanked them. But I believe that this team will bounce back from it. Too much talent to believe that they are 2nd rate. I see it as they have the pieces and they are lacking a legit staff ace right now.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I see it as they have the pieces and they are lacking a legit staff ace right now.

I expect them to go hard after Otani in the offseason. He fits what the Cubs are missing in the starting rotation: A young, cost-controlled (kind of), high-velo power arm. There's no one in the farm system like that and those guys just don't hit the FA market anymore.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That's not the point of advancing a runner. You don't automatically get a run for moving a runner from second to third or first to second by sacrificing an out.

Agreed, you mixed your terms up and I focused on the Run. My bad.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Again, you’re describing the sport and not the Cubs specifically. The Dodgers last night hit two HR + a triple. This was a team (LA) that went 1-16 at one point but has won six straight playoff games. No team consistently scores runs in the playoffs. Cleveland went 4-9-0-3-2 and got bounced. Yankees are 4-3 in the playoffs scoring 0-8-1-7-5-1-1-8-6.

This is the exact same thing they as an organization did last year. The only difference was instead of down 3-0, they were down 2-1 because they won a game 1-0. And that was a lineup with more hitters performing well (Fowler, Zo) but mostly the same guys. And then they won 3 straight.

Well you're welcome to your view on this but mine is that we're in a state of baseball where a couple things happen. In an ideal world you score on a starter. If that doesn't happen your best hope is to run up the pitch count on him and get to a teams bullpen where hopefully you score runs. However, in the playoffs bullpen usage is just different than the regular season. You have star guys making 6+ out saves on the regular. And if you look at the difference in this series it's been the fact that the cubs haven't been able to touch LA's bullpen while LA has been able to touch the cubs.

It is my belief that when facing bullpen match ups you can't just sit and wait for a HR because you're going to be in situations that don't favor you given they can bring in LH/RH pitchers to neutralize you. In my opinion you need guys who can play small ball better than the cubs have. Take last night for example. You had Avila and Almora on second and third I believe with nobody out and neither scored. Whether or not the cubs win the game if they score isn't really relevant to me. It's just systemic of what the cubs issues have been not only in the playoffs but throughout the year. They are a team that's bad at scoring RISP.

Ultimately the cubs this year have been a feast or famine offense who scores either in bunches or not at all. I just don't think that style of play works in the playoffs consistently. I'm not saying you can't rely on that style of play to an extent but you need to also be able to get a run here or there to keep yourself in the game. Having guys who can get themselves in scoring position is one way to do that. If you want to argue the cubs can do that with who they have and the style of hitters they are fine but the results are clearly showing they have struggled to do so. I think it's fair to say a lot of that has to do with the absurd quality of pitching they have faced but again that's sort of my point. Great pitching isn't usually going to give you crooked numbered innings. You have to be able to chip away with a run here or there and that's not something the cubs are good at.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I expect them to go hard after Otani in the offseason. He fits what the Cubs are missing in the starting rotation: A young, cost-controlled (kind of), high-velo power arm. There's no one in the farm system like that and those guys just don't hit the FA market anymore.

I don’t know if the Cubs are a match for him but he is a match for the Cubs plus 29 other teams

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Otani gonna cost over 300 mil and he wants to bat and pitch...

Only way he does that is in AL where he can get his rest between starts and DH...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Otani gonna cost over 300 mil and he wants to bat and pitch...

Only way he does that is in AL where he can get his rest between starts and DH...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If Otani comes over this winter he's not going to cost $300 mil because he's subject to IFA rules. As for whether or not the cubs have any shot... i mean who the fuck knows. If he's giving up that sort of money to come over this year there's no telling what his actual motivations are. Usually it's money and that alone for players but if he immediately gives up the money as Otani appears to be doing it's really tough to say what he will favor. I mean obviously he's probably going to want to play for a contender and I think the cubs as a young contending team make sense but they are hardly the only one. Houston, NYY, LAD...etc all have deep young teams.

Until he signs with the cubs or someone else i'm just going to assume the cubs don't get him because like I have said it's impossible to really predict. I'm sure they will make a strong presentation toward him but there's not really a trump card the cubs can play to win any negotiation with him. They can't even offer him as much money as other teams as they still will be under IFA penalty until next July.

All that being said, if they do land Otani some how it makes their offseason a lot more interesting.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
How can you not pay Jake to stay here?

I will be highly pissed again if they go out and get some 10 million dollar outfielder. Almora and Happ need to get center field period.

Heyward will be in his first opt out year as well, so who knows what will happen. The Eloy to right field has been blown.

We have all seen that major league bullpens are not built in the off season, they are built at the trade deadline, but at this point, the cub-bard is bare so they are going to overpay.