Should NHL adopt wacky 'pick your opponent' playoff format?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21051826/nhl-why-nhl-adopt-new-stanley-cup-playoffs-format

What I wouldn't give to see the team with the best record be able to pick who they want and then down the line... Would be awesome for rivalries and such but it would never happen. I think what is most appealing to me is the team you know has a weak psyche and they get to pick a team who then blasts them in the first round. Would be glorious and adds more to rooting for teams you don't necessarily follow. This will never happen though in the NHL.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21051826/nhl-why-nhl-adopt-new-stanley-cup-playoffs-format

What I wouldn't give to see the team with the best record be able to pick who they want and then down the line... Would be awesome for rivalries and such but it would never happen. I think what is most appealing to me is the team you know has a weak psyche and they get to pick a team who then blasts them in the first round. Would be glorious and adds more to rooting for teams you don't necessarily follow. This will never happen though in the NHL.

It would be interesting, to say the least. But I have to say I like the current format as-it is now. It allows for the representation of bubble teams in stronger divisions over weaker ones, and at the same time, the same division actually means something unlike pre-2013.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It would be interesting, to say the least. But I have to say I like the current format as-it is now. It allows for the representation of bubble teams in stronger divisions over weaker ones, and at the same time, the same division actually means something unlike pre-2013.

I was thinking that it would still be the way it is for the teams that get in. But then the top 4 teams get to pick who they want out of that pool?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you were allowed to pick you would almost always choose the weakest opponent from outside the division.

That is the only rule you need.

The highest seed plays the lowest remaining seed not in their division, if possible. and so on. Period.

That is all you need. Why the hell you run a gauntlet season against your own division to run a gauntlet postseason against your own division. wtf are they doing I can't imagine anything more stupid or disappointing or frustrating in cases like the Wild getting swept by their own division 7 years in a row.

Still waiting for that Blackhawks vs Thornton series one day. L.A.'s teams and San Jose would love to get out of this format too.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Leaders choice. I like it as a fan. Part of me would like to see them try it for a few seasons and see how it goes.

But we know, sooner or later, teams are going to get flat out shafted. Let's say I have a #5 seed team and my second best player is out on concision protocol. Previously this team could win it all, but for just the first round, they're kind of up shit creek. That's just one scenario, and of course you can substitute concussion protocol for a number of common end of season injuries that can't be ignored from the first round if you want to win everything.

edit*

Added some more thought to this, starting to like it less. But if if they went through and tried a leaders choice. I think the team that decides to change opponent should also give up home ice in order to do so. They can divide game 1 revenue in some way to compensate. Then if teams were going to shake up the brackets, they wouldn't simply be giving more power to top teams without consequence.
In football, the team that wins the coin toss can choose to kick or receive. And the team that loses gets to choose their post. That's just a small scale example off the top of my head(not perfect, but just something) that sport rules use to even choices out a bit.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont like it, but I also do not like this divisional format when 4 teams come out of the central. Should have stuck with the best vs worst and second best vs second worse etc.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you were allowed to pick you would almost always choose the weakest opponent from outside the division.

That is the only rule you need.

The highest seed plays the lowest remaining seed not in their division, if possible. and so on. Period.

That is all you need. Why the hell you run a gauntlet season against your own division to run a gauntlet postseason against your own division. wtf are they doing I can't imagine anything more stupid or disappointing or frustrating in cases like the Wild getting swept by their own division 7 years in a row.

Still waiting for that Blackhawks vs Thornton series one day. L.A.'s teams and San Jose would love to get out of this format too.

The main reason they have it as they do now is to make divisions matter.

Your scenario played out prior to 2014, and frankly it sucked. Divisions didn't matter and because of the travel and logistical nightmare it would be to have all West and all East teams play the same amount of games against each other--meaning that seeding itself will be unbalanced. To wit: why should the Pacific be able to sandbag points and play against ARZ more than the Central teams?

The NHL wants teams to run the gauntlet against their own division and then in the playoffs. It builds rivalries for the reg season, & those bitter rivalries mean more HRR as people tune in to see two teams that hate each other kick the shit out of each other. Current system: You have the 'hawks and the Blues as good rivals: they see each other 5-6 times a year so there's 5-6 times per year that you're going to see good, olde tyme "piss on Eddie Shore" hockey. Previous system: our best rival was Vancouver--and we only saw each other 3 times. Less must-see hockey, less HRR.

Besdies, it's not the fans' fault that Minny can't build a team capable of getting out of the Central. :)

Now, you do bring up a fair point that there are some teams that will be screwed because of weak divisions--like the Pacific between 2014 and 2017--hence the wildcards and hence why the top divisional teams play them. It would have sucked if, in 2015, Winnipeg had to give up their wildcard slot to LA in spite of a 4-point lead over them (in a much tougher Central to boot). But ultimately, as long as divisional members play each other more than other teams, it's in the league's best interest to cultivate divisional rivalries and have them kick the shit out of each other in the regular season more than trying to cultivate a playoff rivalry with an extra-divisional opponent they they only see a handful amount of times per year. That translates to more cash.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Not sure it matters so much in the NHL, but I like the idea of just taking the top 16 teams and seeding the playoffs like that for both the NHL and the NBA. The idea of conferences in 2017, with travel being as easy as it is, just no longer makes sense to me. I know hockey has the tradition aspect of winning the conference - but couldn't you do that by virtue of having the best regular season record?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Leaders choice. I like it as a fan. Part of me would like to see them try it for a few seasons and see how it goes.

But we know, sooner or later, teams are going to get flat out shafted. Let's say I have a #5 seed team and my second best player is out on concision protocol. Previously this team could win it all, but for just the first round, they're kind of up shit creek. That's just one scenario, and of course you can substitute concussion protocol for a number of common end of season injuries that can't be ignored from the first round if you want to win everything.

edit*

Added some more thought to this, starting to like it less. But if if they went through and tried a leaders choice. I think the team that decides to change opponent should also give up home ice in order to do so. They can divide game 1 revenue in some way to compensate. Then if teams were going to shake up the brackets, they wouldn't simply be giving more power to top teams without consequence.
In football, the team that wins the coin toss can choose to kick or receive. And the team that loses gets to choose their post. That's just a small scale example off the top of my head(not perfect, but just something) that sport rules use to even choices out a bit.

See but I like it exactly because of the first part, not necessarily because of concussion protocol but because sometimes it's obvious that the better teams don't always get the better seeds. We've seen before teams make some good deadline trades and blast off in the second half to rally and make a strong showing for the playoffs, and vice versa where teams limp across the finish line. In this scenario the hot team could be the 8th see and the limping team could be the 7th seed and yet they 1 seed would have a tougher out in the first round. In your edit, I think that's just over thinking it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The main reason they have it as they do now is to make divisions matter.

Your scenario played out prior to 2014, and frankly it sucked. Divisions didn't matter and because of the travel and logistical nightmare it would be to have all West and all East teams play the same amount of games against each other--meaning that seeding itself will be unbalanced. To wit: why should the Pacific be able to sandbag points and play against ARZ more than the Central teams?

The NHL wants teams to run the gauntlet against their own division and then in the playoffs. It builds rivalries for the reg season, & those bitter rivalries mean more HRR as people tune in to see two teams that hate each other kick the shit out of each other. Current system: You have the 'hawks and the Blues as good rivals: they see each other 5-6 times a year so there's 5-6 times per year that you're going to see good, olde tyme "piss on Eddie Shore" hockey. Previous system: our best rival was Vancouver--and we only saw each other 3 times. Less must-see hockey, less HRR.

Besdies, it's not the fans' fault that Minny can't build a team capable of getting out of the Central. :)

Now, you do bring up a fair point that there are some teams that will be screwed because of weak divisions--like the Pacific between 2014 and 2017--hence the wildcards and hence why the top divisional teams play them. It would have sucked if, in 2015, Winnipeg had to give up their wildcard slot to LA in spite of a 4-point lead over them (in a much tougher Central to boot). But ultimately, as long as divisional members play each other more than other teams, it's in the league's best interest to cultivate divisional rivalries and have them kick the shit out of each other in the regular season more than trying to cultivate a playoff rivalry with an extra-divisional opponent they they only see a handful amount of times per year. That translates to more cash.
So you're saying they should kick out all the shitty teams and have some playoffs to see who gets in the playoffs?

EDIT: this is a joke before anyone's panties get twisted.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure it matters so much in the NHL, but I like the idea of just taking the top 16 teams and seeding the playoffs like that for both the NHL and the NBA. The idea of conferences in 2017, with travel being as easy as it is, just no longer makes sense to me. I know hockey has the tradition aspect of winning the conference - but couldn't you do that by virtue of having the best regular season record?

Travel is actually not *that* easy in actuality. It's easier than it was, but it's still expensive. it's not just the players but all of the gear which has to be shipped to and from different places, as well.

Using VAN, FLA, MTL, or ANA as the extreme examples, I believe them seeing opposite conference teams once more per season is more expensive than the the way it is now--the added games for the closer division teams makes it less expensive, and like any business it's all about money, making more of it and spending less of it. Plus, you also have to figure teams that don't have solid fanbases in a given period are going to benefit from fans traveling to catch games. There's a lot more ticket sales to be had from, say, 'hawk fans willing to drive up to Minny or down to STL (and vice-versa), than there is for 'hawk fans to travel to Vancouver, Montreal, and even LA or FLA in the dead of winter.

Thus, conference-less play, and even division-less play would take more money out of HRR and less for the league and players--assuming a balanced schedule. If the schedule is unbalanced (teams play different teams far more than other teams), then there's the chance of an easier path to the playoffs.

Thus, if you're going to schedule games based on geography (i.e. closer teams play each other more often), it, IMHO, makes more sense to have them battle it out in the vein of a "king of the region" (division) and have the top-of-the-division battle against each other. With the top-3 divisional teams getting a seed and then the next-2 in the conference getting a seed, it also ensures that the weaker division also-rans don't make it.

Otherwise it's like it was before 2014: Divisions don't matter and the divisional rivalries don't get built. The league is a better place when you have the divisional rivalries.

So you're saying they should kick out all the shitty teams and have some playoffs to see who gets in the playoffs?

EDIT: this is a joke before anyone's panties get twisted.

LOL! Seriously though it's backwards. Rivalries are built in the playoffs--especially knock-down-drag-out series like the CHI-VAN series. Right now for the 'hawks there's not that much animosity for Dallas, Colorado, or Winnipeg. Why? We haven't met them in the playoffs recently. Minny, StL, and Nashville? yep--we hate those guys. Before the 2014 shift, the biggest rivalry was Vancouver. In the 2009-2012 years we hated Vancouver and Vancouver hated us--but we only saw each other 3 times a year. Contrast to StL since where we got 5-6 free-for-alls per year. The potential for cash/marketing for the league is so much greater when two terms that put on great playoff series against each other see each other during the regular season--and being bloodthirsty fans don't tire of it.

While there is potential for extradivisional rivalries or extraconference rivalries (i.e. LA/CHI or DET/CHI--the latter for history mostly), it still doesn't have that draw that, say, CHI-STL has.

Consider this: Tonight we play STL and you'll need to reverse the lobotomy you unknowingly got if you think fans aren't looking forward to tonight's tilt. :) What's the next big match? Edmonton? Not quite after they started the season with a whimper. AZ? Sure, they jobbed us in 2012 but they suck. The Knights? That's novelty. Rematch against Nashville? Now you're talking! :D

At least that's how I see it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LEADERS choice does bring in all kinds of scenarios.

I mean....there are even instances where you might decide your old decrepit teams best chance is to knock off the second best team in the first round or something. Take on a highly skilled but less physical team. You might even choose the Blackhawks just because you know at least you are going to come into second round with more health than a shitty Blues team or something if you make it.

The idea of motivating a team because you picked them probably doesn't apply much, you know what NHL playoff hockey is going to be like already.