Leonard Floyd and the need to go OLB in 1st

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
So we trade up and with the #2 overall pick, finally pick our franchise QB. But we also provide him with the worst WR corps in the NFL, including UDFAs who nobody else wants. If there is a WR available when we pick in the first round who carries a high 1st round grade, pull the trigger and give MT an elite target. We should also address WR in free agency. I'm not willing to bet that Meredith can come back at full speed, and at best, he would be a #2 WR. If you draft a QB so high who is supposed to be an elite passer for pete's sake, give him some outstanding receivers. The defense is good, and any observer can see that the passing attack is the weak spot for the team.

This is a totally valid way to go.

I have no confidence that Meredith is coming back as even a #2. That was a bad injury, almost Bowman-like. White is a bust, even when healthy he has shown nothing. If Pace went WR with what looks like a top 10 pick, I would have no complaints.

I do think we should hit FA for a WR1 and possibly one other. Unless there is a can't miss prospect (or as close to it as possible), I'd be happier spreading the risk and taking a WR in the second round.

For example...

Adams
2nd rounder
Meredith
Richardson
Gentry/McBride
White (because guaranteed)

would still allow us to take OLB with our first pick and ensure Trubisky has the tools he needs. Maybe take a OT with the next pick (currently a 4th).

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
There are 2 things holding back Floyd

1. He gets the most attention of either OLB.

2. He gets dropped into coverage a lot because he is the only one who can do it.

I would love to see what Floyd could achieve with more one on one matchups. Make the defense choose where to focus the protection. With Hicks and Goldman looking so good, we would then be one step away from a dominant front seven - namely RRH or Bullard improving to above average starter level.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I agree-OLB is more important. Easier to draft a good WR in the 2nd or later than an OLB. If we are picking high and do not trade out of the spot, the only DB I'm taking is Minkah Fitzpatrick. Pass on Derwin James. Fitzpatrick can literally play any position in the backfield, and can do it all at an elite level.

Chubb, Key are interesting prospects in round 1. I love Lorenzo Carter, another UGA boy. He may last until the 2nd.

My favorite WR is Christian Kirk, or "Baby Beckham" as scouts call him. Great speed and hands, runs crisp routes, and can break a game open at any moment. Excellent kick returner, as well. Anthony Miller out of Memphis is the sleeper in this class, IMO. Kirk AND/or Kirk would be perfect for Trubs.

We need a C, badly. This has been discussed. Billy Price out of OSU in the 2nd.

So, options. Will be interesting to see which way Pace goes. I think I would go Chubb, Price, Miller, if we somehow get our 3rd back.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Check out WR James Washington of Oklahoma State if you have a chance, and imagine how he would expand the offense, not only for the passing game, but for Howard who wouldn't face stacked defenses all the time.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Check out WR James Washington of Oklahoma State if you have a chance, and imagine how he would expand the offense, not only for the passing game, but for Howard who wouldn't face stacked defenses all the time.

Another excellent prospect.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
These are all interesting prospects. However it shakes out, we absolutely have to have a credible deep threat in 2018. Who knows, maybe Gentry shows he can do that but more likely he doesn't. It would be incredible to have a high twitch receiver that can generate yards after the catch and show up on special teams. But I think we need a solid FA addition as well.

There can be no half measures this year. I'm willing to leave WR until the second round if Pace loves a pass rusher. But everything else must be focused around Trubisky.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I agree-OLB is more important. Easier to draft a good WR in the 2nd or later than an OLB. If we are picking high and do not trade out of the spot, the only DB I'm taking is Minkah Fitzpatrick. Pass on Derwin James. Fitzpatrick can literally play any position in the backfield, and can do it all at an elite level.

Chubb, Key are interesting prospects in round 1. I love Lorenzo Carter, another UGA boy. He may last until the 2nd.

My favorite WR is Christian Kirk, or "Baby Beckham" as scouts call him. Great speed and hands, runs crisp routes, and can break a game open at any moment. Excellent kick returner, as well. Anthony Miller out of Memphis is the sleeper in this class, IMO. Kirk AND/or Kirk would be perfect for Trubs.

So, options. Will be interesting to see which way Pace goes. I think I would go Chubb, Price, Miller, if we somehow get our 3rd back.

We definitely need a center but I don't know if we can take one so high and still resolve the holes at WR and OLB.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I am of the thought that you shouldn't put huge value or resources into wide receivers. How many rings do Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham, A.J Green, Dez Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald have?

You need a QB, an offensive line and a running game.

That being said, the Bears WR's are literally some of the worst I have ever seen and an obvious upgrade is needed. I wouldn't spend a high first round pick on one but I would look to spend a 2nd and a 3rd/4th pick and get two guys in along with a free agent.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
There is no doubt that WR is the weakest position on the team and that considerable resources need to be allocated in the offseason to fix it. However, the bust factor for WR in the first is high, and we really need to hit at the top of the draft to solidify our roster. Edge all the way for me, and even better if Pace can trade down and accomplish the same thing.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cut former Lion Willie Young and sign soon to be former Lion Ezekiel Ansah. Top 3 defense.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I am of the thought that you shouldn't put huge value or resources into wide receivers. How many rings do Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham, A.J Green, Dez Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald have?

You need a QB, an offensive line and a running game.

That being said, the Bears WR's are literally some of the worst I have ever seen and an obvious upgrade is needed. I wouldn't spend a high first round pick on one but I would look to spend a 2nd and a 3rd/4th pick and get two guys in along with a free agent.

Of course you could list dozens of great defensive players who never got a ring. Not a convincing argument.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Good WR can be had (rather easily compared to other positions) in FA and in 2nd round and later int the draft.

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:
I think we will end up spending big money in the FA market on both WR and OLB

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really think a WR core made up of 3 solid #2 type guys is more than enough. The Rams Ada hanging 29 a game with

Robert Woods
Cooper Kupp
Sammy Watkins, who they barely use

They spread the ball around pass to the TE and RB and more the ball.

OLB requires top level talent. You can't just put more and more of them on the field and win.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Marqise Lee (FA)
Cam Meredith
2nd Round Pick
Taylor Gabriel (FA)
Kendall Wright
Gentry/McBride

That is a deep group of 3-4 #2 types with varied skills sets. Built with a 2nd round pick and mid tier free agents.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

I've seen a lot of OSU football, and Billy Price just isn't all that dominant at the Collegiate level imho...

He started early in his career for tOSU, and sometimes the hype train starts just based on that alone.

Denzel Ward is a name to watch at DB; his ceiling is very VERY high.

In a world where all areas of the draft were even, I would go CB first myself....then OLB....it's been said a bunch here, but it's true that you can scrounge up good WR's much more easily than good pass rushers.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Marqise Lee (FA)
Cam Meredith
2nd Round Pick
Taylor Gabriel (FA)
Kendall Wright
Gentry/McBride

That is a deep group of 3-4 #2 types with varied skills sets. Built with a 2nd round pick and mid tier free agents.

The only part of that WR core that I like is the unnamed second round pick.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Floyd and another high 1st round draft pick in Fangio 3-4 :smug2: