Leonard Floyd and the need to go OLB in 1st

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I admit that I was pretty disappointed with Floyd in the first couple of games of the season. Probably because of all the reports about him being physically stronger in pre season and the prospect of him taking a step up with Fangio working directly with the OLBs.

But he's been really good the last couple of games. I've taken a bit of time to look at him closely and the number of times the protection is lined up on his side of the field is staggering. But he's still creating numerous pressures a game and starting to finish plays. He looks like a really savvy player too, capable of more than just the speed rush we saw coming out of Georgia. His work in the run game in particular has surprised me.

But his progress shows how much we need to find a credible threat opposite him. I'm not going to say OLB is ahead of WR in terms of need but a kid like Arden Key would be hard to turn down and is arguably a safer pick than a WR. I don't watch much College football so are there any other guys that would complement Floyd and suit our system.

As a side note, I think we are starting to finally see the benfit of Fangio. While I would be OK with losing him if a new offensive coach wanted to clean house, the jump the defense looks to have made and Floyd's progress in particular makes me want to keep him if they can be consistently at that level.

What do you all think? Is Fangio getting too much credit? Should we go OLB or WR? Is it too soon to praise Floyd?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Lamar Houston got a strip sack in limited action on a short week on a new team.. would’ve been good depth to keep

Washington

Liked Posts:
CB (we need youth and a CB who gets INTs) or OLB in the 1st. If the 2 are equal, I'd go OLB. Good WRs can be found all over the draft on average.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Also, based on Pace's draft record Floyd > White. I'm torn because the need for a good WR is obvious to everyone but the D could be really great with another OLB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Floyd has really turned it on the last two games. I would LOVE another 1st round pass rusher to compliment him.

Agree with MojoRisin that good WR's can be found all over the draft. Need to draft 2 next year and hit in free agency as well.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Go best play available, most first round picks are bust anyway go for the guy you know will be good.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I think elite OLBs are far more important then elite wide receivers, and the Bears need both positions badly going forward. If I'm picking between two equally graded prospects i'm taking the OLB.

Not only that but it's extremely, extremely rare for really good pass rushers to become available on the open market Good WRs change teams all the time. If you want elite pass rushers you're gonna have to draft them.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
if the bears stay around 5 for the 2018 draft and see derwin james S, arden key OLB and whoever the top wr happens to be (kirk, ridley etc...)
who do you take? any trade down means missing out on james or key...

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i'm all for difference making pass rusher or OL...the incubation time for rookie WR's can be 2-4 years...why not sign a FA WR who is already experienced

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Now that we have our franchise qb I’m not going to be fixated on a definitive position. I want to see where we are picking and who is available. If we can get a von Miller type it’s a no brainer. If there is a Calvin Johnson there it’s a another duh. And if there are a bunch of qbs sell the damn pick for more quality picks and fill both positions

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Good post. We do return Meredith next sesson.

If Bullard picks it up that points more to OLB but if not upgrading Unrein at DE helps our rush.

At a minimum picking up a pass rush OLB in the 2nd or 3rd who can play in sub packages is a must

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are always better FA WRs than pass rushers. That will be the case this year. The one exception might be DeMarcus Lawrence but I'm betting he'll be resigned along with Ansah.

It's looking like a pretty good year for pass rushers in the draft.

Pass rushers are more important.

To me, it's a no brainer.

napo55

Liked Posts:
So we trade up and with the #2 overall pick, finally pick our franchise QB. But we also provide him with the worst WR corps in the NFL, including UDFAs who nobody else wants. If there is a WR available when we pick in the first round who carries a high 1st round grade, pull the trigger and give MT an elite target. We should also address WR in free agency. I'm not willing to bet that Meredith can come back at full speed, and at best, he would be a #2 WR. If you draft a QB so high who is supposed to be an elite passer for pete's sake, give him some outstanding receivers. The defense is good, and any observer can see that the passing attack is the weak spot for the team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are 2 things holding back Floyd

1. He gets the most attention of either OLB.

2. He gets dropped into coverage a lot because he is the only one who can do it.