Leonard Floyd and the need to go OLB in 1st

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
If you can have Julio or AJ Green to dominate then I truly think you are better off with 3 talented guys who don't break the bank and spreading the ball around.

The Packers pay their guys real money, but they really have 3 #2 WRs. No one guy is a top 5-10 WR in the league.

Same with the Patriots, Saints (although Thomas may get close), the Rams are scoring 29 a game without a dominant WR.

nelson was a top 10 WR in his prime, he's gone through some injuries and is starting to decline...

bottom line here is when the running game is taken away the WR's need to be able to consistently separate and make catches against tough defenses. The rams have not shown they can do that yet.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Interesting question here. Who do you guys think would benefit the Bears most next season, as it is currently constructed? A top 10 OLB, or a top 10 WR?

A top 10 OLB is always going to be more valuable than a top 10 WR.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ask yourself if you want Von Miller or Julio Jones. Give me an elite pass rusher any day!

It’s not so easy when you eliminate Jones/Miller...

WR’s
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
Mike Evans
Jordy Nelson
Dez Bryant
TY Hilton
Demaryius Thomas
DeAndre Hopkins

Edge
Khalil Mack
Vic Beasley
Chandler Jones
Cliff Avril
Danielle Hunter
Cameron Wake
Justin Houston
Joey Bosa
Lorenzo Alexander

Besides maybe Mack, I could argue that many of those WR’s would be more beneficial to the Bears.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Here are my thoughts:

Our last 2 best WRs were 2nd round and 4th round picks. No need for ANOTHER potential bust at a 1st round WR. They can be found in FA and later rounds of the draft.

An elite pass rusher would help Tru almost as much as a WR would by keeping our offense on the field as much as possible. So I would take a high-mid 1st round pass rusher.

If there is no elite pass rusher available anymore, I'd like to see a trade down to the late 1st round and try to get a great pass-catching TE along the lines of Kelce, Gronk, Olsen. Alex Smith is having a pro bowl season because of Kelce and Brady has made a living feeding Gronk the ball all these years. This has less potential for busting in the first round than a WR and will help Tru as well.

After that, we need to boost the Oline. We'll need help at Guard, Center, and Right Tackle.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

WR’s
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
Mike Evans
Jordy Nelson
Dez Bryant
TY Hilton
Demaryius Thomas
DeAndre Hopkins

Edge
Khalil Mack
Vic Beasley
Chandler Jones
Cliff Avril
Danielle Hunter
Cameron Wake
Justin Houston
Joey Bosa
Lorenzo Alexander

Besides maybe Mack, I could argue that many of those WR’s would be more beneficial to the Bears.

1. Von Miller
2. Khalil Mack
3. Antonio Brown
4. Julio Jones
5. Odell Beckham
6. A.J Green

After that, I would take every single pass rusher on that list before I take another receiver.

napo55

Liked Posts:

WR’s
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
Mike Evans
Jordy Nelson
Dez Bryant
TY Hilton
Demaryius Thomas
DeAndre Hopkins

Edge
Khalil Mack
Vic Beasley
Chandler Jones
Cliff Avril
Danielle Hunter
Cameron Wake
Justin Houston
Joey Bosa
Lorenzo Alexander

You are right. It also depends on the team. For a team with a total lack of talent at WR, and a young QB with great potential, the WR may well be the wise pick.
Of course it also depends on the talent in the draft. Is there a WR worthy of a top 10 pick. Is there an OLB worthy? What does the talent in the second round look like?

As long as the team keeps an open mind (unlike some on this board) after fairly analyzing the talent and the team needs, there should be a decent result.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
It would actually be great if we could steal Ansah and Devonte Adams in FA. Filling our holes while creating hole in our division.

GO balls out and get Adams, Jeffery, and Watkins in FA then draft the best edge rusher Harold Landry in the 1st and find a center and CB in the next 2 rounds.

I doubt Pace would want to spend the money on Ansah who'll likely cost a fortune. He's legit but I am sure Pace would prefer to get an OLB in the 1st round where he has him under contract for 5 years at a better rate. Fuller and Goldman contracts aren't too far away and neither will be cheap at this rate.

Would Ansah take the Bears over the hill? Possibly. Of course tinning McPhee and Young would certainly give him a lot of extra cash and Glennon is almost certain to be gone barring any unfortunate injuries this season. Bears will have upwards of $60m.

If they draft a centre to compete with Grasu they could also move on from Sitton as Whitehair, Kush and Morgan could compete for the OG slot.

I'd imagine he'll continue building through the draft the next year and possibly two years.

It would be interesting to see what Watkins and Richardson will cost if they become available.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
So I see the Bears getting to at least 5-7 wins. Which is what 7th-13th ish. How likely is Arden Key to be there. If he is I'd absolutely go with key. Beyond that do we go with Armstrong if say Christian Kirk or Calvin Ridley are on the board. Perhaps trade down and take Armstrong then best WR?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You are right. It also depends on the team. For a team with a total lack of talent at WR, and a young QB with great potential, the WR may well be the wise pick.
Of course it also depends on the talent in the draft. Is there a WR worthy of a top 10 pick. Is there an OLB worthy? What does the talent in the second round look like?

As long as the team keeps an open mind (unlike some on this board) after fairly analyzing the talent and the team needs, there should be a decent result.

So just to get this straight, 'open mind' means agreeing with you? Because every post you've made argues for a WR.

My thoughts:

EDGE is more important than WR. And along our lack of WR, we are going to be similarly thin at OLB because McPhee will be cut or role diminished. Same with Young. Floyd will be it.

There are going to be far more solid options at WR in free agency. It's likely there will be zero automatic starters at EDGE in free agency.

I don't think there are any WRs who are going to be top 15 talents in the draft this year. Conversely, I think there are an abundance of 2nd and 3rd round receivers this year.

napo55

Liked Posts:
So just to get this straight, 'open mind' means agreeing with you? Because every post you've made argues for a WR.

My thoughts:

EDGE is more important than WR. And along our lack of WR, we are going to be similarly thin at OLB because McPhee will be cut or role diminished. Same with Young. Floyd will be it.

There are going to be far more solid options at WR in free agency. It's likely there will be zero automatic starters at EDGE in free agency.

I don't think there are any WRs who are going to be top 15 talents in the draft this year. Conversely, I think there are an abundance of 2nd and 3rd round receivers this year.

Fortunately, you won't be making the draft decisions . By an open mind, I'd merely ask that people take a look at the elite WRs in the draft and consider how they could benefit the team.

Washington

Liked Posts:

My thoughts:

I concur there will be far more options available to Pace at WR in FA with probably none at DE/OLB worth a damn.

I also continue to hate the thought of taking a WR in the 1st unless it is a mid to late 1st. GB reloads all the time at WR and never uses a #1. Good WRs come from all over the draft. Hell, our best one currently was an UDFA.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Fortunately, you won't be making the draft decisions . By an open mind, I'd merely ask that people take a look at the elite WRs in the draft and consider how they could benefit the team.

Most everyone is doing that. Maybe you should look at the elite EDGE players and consider the same?

And please let us all know how making the draft decisions goes.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

My thoughts:

For some reason, you guys are all assuming the Bears are gonna sign a bunch of solid WR’s in free agency just like that. You don’t have to go far, this past offseason, to see how that worked out. I’m assuming nothing going into the draft.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I concur there will be far more options available to Pace at WR in FA with probably none at DE/OLB worth a damn.

I also continue to hate the thought of taking a WR in the 1st unless it is a mid to late 1st. GB reloads all the time at WR and never uses a #1. Good WRs come from all over the draft. Hell, our best one currently was an UDFA.

Also,concur there are more WR options in FA. I hope Pace gets at least two in FA. And draft two. Depending on how Meredith heals, and I do not think is close to a true #1, Pace needs to get three new starters so, in reality, he needs to grab 3-4 WRs in the off season. I would not consider White as part of the team next year. If he makes the roster, fine, but they have to move on.

So maybe edge rusher in the first, WR in second, DB in third, again, based on FA.? Or, trade back and get more picks. Of course, it is way too early for any real speculation but the WR need a shit ton of help.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
For some reason, you guys are all assuming the Bears are gonna sign a bunch of solid WR’s in free agency just like that. You don’t have to go far, this past offseason, to see how that worked out. I’m assuming nothing going into the draft.

And I guess for some reason you guys think the Bears will have anyone other than Floyd at OLB next year. Young is going to be 33 coming off season ending surgery. McPhee can't play more than 25 productive snaps per game. Acho? Well, I'm not going to consider him part of the plan moving forward. There aren't going to be any good solutions in FA, almost certainly.

You actually have far more young players available at WR, and if you count Sheehan and Sims, it's overwhlemingly more. Not to say they are good, by any stretch, and of course the Bears would still have to sign someone else, but there are more resources there.

Washington

Liked Posts:

Not necessarily a bunch, but I bet more than one. I'm guessing (hoping) Pace can do better quality wise than he did this year. I do think he'll take at least one in the draft too - he has to. He really needs to trade down somewhere to get more picks. Not having that 3rd hurts as that is a good round to look for a WR.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Most everyone is doing that. Maybe you should look at the elite EDGE players and consider the same?

I'll be glad to. Who would you highlight?

Bradley Chubb is a better prospect than any wide receiver. Arden Key, considered #1 by some but will fall - still a very good player. Clelin Ferrell. Those are probably my top three right now. I'd definitely take the first two over any WR at this point.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bradley Chubb is a better prospect than any wide receiver. Arden Key, considered #1 by some but will fall - still a very good player. Clelin Ferrell. Those are probably my top three right now. I'd definitely take the first two over any WR at this point.

LOL. You just named two possible top 5 picks. It would make more sense to compare the mid round Edge rusher prospects with the mid round WR prospects. Nobody would ever take a mid round WR prospect over a top 5 pick. The question is which do you take if they are in the same prospect class.