The Bears have a Top 10 Defense

NFCnB

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know man, I think this defense is awesome and as good as its been in a decade. Ive seen them ranked as high as #3 in the NFL. If the offense was a little more productive, they could be statistically the best in the league

Rise

Liked Posts:
???? What's that supposed to mean?

Would you have preferred the Bears sign no free agents last year?

Yes I would have preferred not to sign those guys and kept the 4th and 5th round picks. The same picks you didn’t know we could of had.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
among all the discussion about the team.. This is the one good aspect i seldom see anyone discussing.

Bears defense
overall #6
vs. The pass #8
vs. The run #15

the stats we aren't doing so well in are turn overs and points allowed. The latter being more so a result of the offense not taking care of the ball and putting the defense into bad positions. Plus pick 6's and special team scores effect that stat as well.

People will constantly complain about the fas pace has brought to the team. They refuse to understand how bad teams will have trouble attracting top tier fas and they don't understand the concept of signing players to non-binding contracts. Also they act as if he hasn't brought any quality players to the team in spite of it being so bad.

This team was old and needed a full overhaul of the entire roster... And it still isn't finished... Though not as far away as the record may show.

Players on defense who pace has brought in or drafted include: Hicks, goldman, trevathan, freeman, kwiatkoski, cooper, amukamara, jackson, amos.... In other words pretty much the entire starting line up which has helped bring the team back from having the leagues worst defense to one of the best.

Im not even going to get into the offensive side of the ball... Cause that would be a long post on it's own.

#preach

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Give this defense one OLB, one CB, and one Safety and we are a top 3 unit. Our DB play this year has been great and a nice surprise, but I still think we can upgrade from Amos and opposite of Fuller. Assuming Fuller continues to play like he has so far.

I'm actually gonna hold up on saying we need another S cause i wanna see Amos at SS for a couple more games, he's looked like he might belong at SS much more then his days at FS which a few of us were saying about him last year. Although you still need some cover skills at SS i don't think they're as much needed as they are at FS so lets keep an eye on him and see if he keeps getting better with every game he plays at SS. His tackling is pretty damn good.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I care 500% more about defense than offense, always did, and the same with basketball. The only 3 offensive guys I ever was gung ho about the Bears drafting were Rex Grossman, Tyler Lockett and Mitch Trubisky. I am thrilled with the defense this year. I think that we would have been seeing much of this last year as well, if not for the non-stop injuries throughout the year.

Notwithstanding any major injuries for the remainder of the year, I expect continued improvement and success on the defense as an attitude and experience together falls into play. Would love to see the points allowed by the D this year if deducting out special teams and points on turnovers. I think it would be in the 10 per game area.

Fired up. Good post.

Did i see a Tyler Lockett in there??

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
These D needs 2 more legit pass rushers and 1 stud CB to truly be great.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm actually gonna hold up on saying we need another S cause i wanna see Amos at SS for a couple more games, he's looked like he might belong at SS much more then his days at FS which a few of us were saying about him last year. Although you still need some cover skills at SS i don't think they're as much needed as they are at FS so lets keep an eye on him and see if he keeps getting better with every game he plays at SS. His tackling is pretty damn good.

No doubt about that. I think there is a spot on this team for Amos, but his lack of turnovers over the past 3 seasons are concerning. His INT last weekend was more credit for Fuller then him. The return was awesome though. I don't think we go out and get a FA SS, but maybe take one later in the draft similar to Jackson. Let them battle it out. Amos would do really well in a hybrid LB/SS role similar to what Deone Bucannon plays in AZ. He is an In the box safety.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Another good draft and we lose Josh Lucas to a GM job.

I'm thinking you watched Good Morning Football today where Peter Schrager gave his guys to watch cause he had J.Lucas as his guy to watch to get a GM job soon.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Look more closelier

uzhoWNT.jpg

Wow, that really took me a good 10-15 seconds to figure out. For a minute there i thought you might of got yourself in some CCS trouble by posting that...lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No doubt about that. I think there is a spot on this team for Amos, but his lack of turnovers over the past 3 seasons are concerning. His INT last weekend was more credit for Fuller then him. The return was awesome though. I don't think we go out and get a FA SS, but maybe take one later in the draft similar to Jackson. Let them battle it out. Amos would do really well in a hybrid LB/SS role similar to what Deone Bucannon plays in AZ. He is an In the box safety.

Good points.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
Hicks has to be game planned for.

So which defense has playmakers at every level, if you don't count probably the 3rd best 5 tech in the NFL right now as a playmaker?

The biggest knock on Hicks is the position he plays, by its nature it's less impactful than an edge player. He's a really nice player, but I'd rather have the 10th best EDGE player than the 3rd best 5T. But I don't want to argue semantics, count Hicks if you would like, he's close to it if not already there. They're still missing 2 other play makers. And what I mean by play maker is someone that consistently creates turn overs and/or sacks the qb and/or has sideline to sideline ability to shut down the opposing team.

There are a lot of defenses that have three players. Our recent team history,

2010 had urlacher, peppers and Tillman.

2005-6 had urlacher, brown, and Harris (and that's not counting Briggs and Tillman or Vasher)

Currently the brocos, chiefs, Vikings, Seahawks all have at least 3 play makers.

Opinions will differ, and I'm not going to argue player for player, but I think the bears don't make enough impact plays on defense, (sacks and turn overs). Imagine the defense with a pass rusher that required a double team every play that got 12-15 sacks a year. Or a corner that shut down one side of the field. It would change the defense drastically, and until we get something like that, we aren't going to win games with defense alone. (Not that defense only should be the goal, but that's what elite defenses can do).

That's all I'm saying, I'm not knocking Hicks, just stating the fact that we don't have any elite players that scare you. Having the third best 5T isn't a whole lot better than having the 3rd best left guard in the league. Nice to have, but less impactful by nature.

Btw, I am aware JJ watt plays 5T, but that's what makes him special, he can dominate the pass game from the inside, that's very rare.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
So probably every year you're talking about 3-4 teams, at most, with studs at every level of the defense.

Wanting better players at more important positions, I'm right there with you. I think everyone would like to have a top 3 defense. Although I think 5 techs are a bit more important than guards.

Watt and Calais Campbell are beasts. Watt might be winding down though.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The biggest knock on Hicks is the position he plays, by its nature it's less impactful than an edge player. He's a really nice player, but I'd rather have the 10th best EDGE player than the 3rd best 5T. But I don't want to argue semantics, count Hicks if you would like, he's close to it if not already there. They're still missing 2 other play makers. And what I mean by play maker is someone that consistently creates turn overs and/or sacks the qb and/or has sideline to sideline ability to shut down the opposing team.

There are a lot of defenses that have three players. Our recent team history,

2010 had urlacher, peppers and Tillman.

2005-6 had urlacher, brown, and Harris (and that's not counting Briggs and Tillman or Vasher)

Currently the brocos, chiefs, Vikings, Seahawks all have at least 3 play makers.

Opinions will differ, and I'm not going to argue player for player, but I think the bears don't make enough impact plays on defense, (sacks and turn overs). Imagine the defense with a pass rusher that required a double team every play that got 12-15 sacks a year. Or a corner that shut down one side of the field. It would change the defense drastically, and until we get something like that, we aren't going to win games with defense alone. (Not that defense only should be the goal, but that's what elite defenses can do).

That's all I'm saying, I'm not knocking Hicks, just stating the fact that we don't have any elite players that scare you. Having the third best 5T isn't a whole lot better than having the 3rd best left guard in the league. Nice to have, but less impactful by nature.

Btw, I am aware JJ watt plays 5T, but that's what makes him special, he can dominate the pass game from the inside, that's very rare.

I disagree with you regarding Hicks. He is an all-pro talent who on a contending team would get a helluva lot of publicity. The guy is a MONSTER!

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Cardinals secondary looks like shit without Cooper as well. They miss him

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Great thread OP. Pace has done an EXCELLENT job of overhauling the D from starters to role players in 3 years. I think if Kevin White had worked out there would be very little you could point to as "mistakes" that Pace has made in his tenure. I've been a supporter from the beginning, and that isn't going to change. If he has one more offseason like the last 3 then I believe we are set to contend.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you not watch last week's game?

and Hicks is definitely a playmaker.

Anyone with a pair of functioning eyes saw that the defense saved their asses many many times. Not to mention that the secondary was ballin out along with the d-line. I still consider the linebackers to be meh but they do on occasion prove their worth.