Is Jason Heyward untradeable?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Why is it always assumed you can't trade his contract?

Can't we eat a chunk of his salary?

Don't we have the GM that once traded Carl Crawfords remaining 85 million and BEckets 31 million in one trade?

He does have a full no trade clause through 2018.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Another note on his contract. Apparently his opt out clause also has an opt in clause. Meaning he can test FA and still go back to the Cubs and opt back in? Am I reading that right?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He can opt out after the third and fourth years. The way it is written though is mindboggling.

Yes, we can eat his contract. But it will take eating all but about 6 million a year.

The only problem now is what do you do for right? KB? The eloy card was played and somehow Quintana was tapped for 2 games this LCS.

I hope the mirror is used this offseason instead of just jettisoning players.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He can opt out after the third and fourth years. The way it is written though is mindboggling.

Yes, we can eat his contract. But it will take eating all but about 6 million a year.

The only problem now is what do you do for right? KB? The eloy card was played and somehow Quintana was tapped for 2 games this LCS.

I hope the mirror is used this offseason instead of just jettisoning players.

He's not a $6 mil player he's probably more like $15 mil but you're overall point remains. You really can't move him until after 2019. The opt out language would prevent it. I don't mind that either. He is a presence on that team and the defense, while maybe not worth the money, is worth the playing time.

Rise

Liked Posts:
One of the worst contracts of all time it just is. That type of money should be paid to a real difference maker not a defensive replacement lol. Hated the signing when it happened after reading a long article about him, don’t understand why Theo felt the need to do it. We could have still signed Fowler and a stud pitcher for that money. Is what it is at this point we just have to hope Tom will eat the contract and let him operate is if it doesn’t exist (doubt it).

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The contract does appear to make him untradeable. But if he can manage a 260/350/450 slash line next year his value jumps from 16 million to 31 million.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
You can always trade him but the cost is financial in nature. After 2018, he'll have five years and 106 million left. Even if you want to say Heyward is what he is with the bat, some team out there would take him for at least half of that contract due to his defense.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
You can always trade him but the cost is financial in nature. After 2018, he'll have five years and 106 million left. Even if you want to say Heyward is what he is with the bat, some team out there would take him for at least half of that contract due to his defense.

I bring this up because we can make him a 4th outfielder if we choose to eat that salary. Would love to sign Lorenzo Cain for that leadoff spot. Then you have Cain and Almora as great gloves, and replace Schwarbs late in the game with Heyward. Very expensive the next two years or so, but we can afford that now.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
One of the worst contracts of all time it just is. That type of money should be paid to a real difference maker not a defensive replacement lol.
Maybe we should have given it to Bryant. Both Heyward and Bryant sucked against the Dodgers. You want to see a really bad contract? Just wait till Bryant signs his next contrat for $32M/yr..

Rise

Liked Posts:
Maybe we should have given it to Bryant. Both Heyward and Bryant sucked against the Dodgers. You want to see a really bad contract? Just wait till Bryant signs his next contrat for $32M/yr..

True but Bryant has performed for us before. Heyward just hasn’t.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
True but Bryant has performed for us before. Heyward just hasn’t.
Bryant is the most overrated superstar in MLB. He disappears for long periods of time. Even as a "superstar" he falls short as he can't even hit .300 or drive in 110 RBI. He is not in the class of an Altuve or Goldschmidt. To sign this guy to a mega contract will be a huge mistake. There are better people to spend 250M on

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly I don't think Heyward is that far gone. He hit .259/.326/.389 this year. In 2014 he hit .271/.351/.384 and was a 5 win player. You're talking about the difference in 12 points of BA and 25 points of OBP. And keep in mind this was the first year with a completely retooled swing. As a comparison here, the difference between 2017 and 2016 for him was he hit .230/.306/.325 which he improved +29 points BA, +17 points in OBP and +64 points of slugging.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Honestly I don't think Heyward is that far gone. He hit .259/.326/.389 this year. In 2014 he hit .271/.351/.384 and was a 5 win player. You're talking about the difference in 12 points of BA and 25 points of OBP. And keep in mind this was the first year with a completely retooled swing. As a comparison here, the difference between 2017 and 2016 for him was he hit .230/.306/.325 which he improved +29 points BA, +17 points in OBP and +64 points of slugging.
I get a chuckle out of that retooled swing. There wasn't much of anything retooled. He still needs significant mechanical change.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Which is why I mentioned that they should have put pressure on Heyward and had him leading off. They did this one time. He cannot handle the pressure and Theo knows it now.

There might be a trade out there, I mean, Heyward was not considered one of the 26 worst contracts last year.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Bryant is the most overrated superstar in MLB. He disappears for long periods of time. Even as a "superstar" he falls short as he can't even hit .300 or drive in 110 RBI. He is not in the class of an Altuve or Goldschmidt. To sign this guy to a mega contract will be a huge mistake. There are better people to spend 250M on

Bad Baseball Thought of the Year?

Rise

Liked Posts:

He is young though still can improve. I agree if he stays as is then no thanks to $250c but if Heyward’s sorry ass is worth $200, then yes even the current Bryant is worth $250.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He is young though still can improve. I agree if he stays as is then no thanks to $250c but if Heyward’s sorry ass is worth $200, then yes even the current Bryant is worth $250.
It's not a Heyward/Bryant comparison. It Bryant vs the great players in the league

Rise

Liked Posts:
It's not a Heyward/Bryant comparison. It Bryant vs the great players in the league

This is a Heyward thread. My original comment had nothing to do with Bryant, you chose to bring up Bryant in response to my comments on Heyward. Now it has nothing to do with Heyward? Ok then, that’s a totally different conversation.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

OMG STFU. You're terrible at baseball.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

:clap: Bout time someone said it.