2017-2018 Free Agent Discussion thread

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I would like to see the cubs resign Davis and Arrieta (contrary to popular belief it is not easy to find TOR talent like Jake) and bring in Alex Cobb.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Mentioned this else where but I think teams will want Baez more because it's easier to find bats to plug into LF. That being said if it's make or break a trade on a guy they want I'm sure they would consider moving Schwarber as well.

Not to mention that Schwarber's stock is way down. It would take a lot more than him to get Archer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention that Schwarber's stock is way down. It would take a lot more than him to get Archer.

Best measuring stick is WAR. Match up the numbers.

Archer was worth 4.6

Baez 2.2
Happ 1.8
Schwarber 1.5
Russell 1.4
Almora 1.2

Russell held a 3.9 WAR last year and was injured so hisvalue is way higher than his 1.4

But that is pretty much a current weight scale. If a package is lower than Archers value then you have to add higher quality prospects.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They need to rework the pen first. Wade, Duensing and Strop were the only guys worth a damn and 2,are F/A.

So that is priority #1.

Then they need a SP to replace Jake.

After that A legit lead off.

I believe that's why they traded for Quintana. The question is, can he reach Jake's level? Arrieta came through big for the Cubs in very big moments. Quintana, not so much. Yet, anyway. They're obviously going to need 2 starters (maybe Montgomery becomes one).

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have also made it clear that they won't be trading pieces off the major league roster. They have been very transparent and honest about that.

That's old news from years past. Theo said the opposite in his presser yesterday.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
I'd have to think that if a player gets traded from the ML roster, it'd be Almora. He performed well in the playoffs and plays a position of need for many teams. It sounded like Schwarbs isn't going anywhere. I'd bet Happ stays because he can play multiple positions and same with Javy. I could see Cubs going after Reed because he's the youngest at 28. I doubt Davis gets resigned...too old.

Theo also mentioned that he doesn't value speed and that the Cubs will most likely not have a prototypical leadoff guy. Is that a smokescreen? Possibly, but I'd bet it's more towards the truth after looking at the team this past season.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
My winter moves

- Hope on Otani and if it costs Darvish to get him, go get both guys
- If you miss on Otani and Darvish still doesn't want to come here, go after Alex Cobb
- Sign Tyson Ross to a show me deal
- Resign Rene Rivera
- Sign Jarrod Dyson as your new Jon Jay/4th OF
- Sign Juan Nicasio, and Addison Reed to the bullpen; sign Jesse Chavez as a swing guy; resign Duensing
- Sign Derek Holland for a camp deal and see if he can be a swing/utility lefty in the pen
- Save money for Bryce Harper in 2019

2018 25 man roster
C - Contreras, Rivera
IF - Bryant, Rizzo, LaStella, Russell, Baez
OF - Heyward, Dyson, Schwarber, Almora
UTL - Happ, Zobrist

v LHP
Almora - CF
Happ - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Zobrist - RF
Baez - 2B

vs RHP
Dyson/Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Scwharber - LF
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
Zobrist/Baez/Happ/Lastella - 2B

SP - Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Cobb, Tseng
RP - Reed, Edwards, Strop, Nicasio, Chavez, Montgomery (LHP), Duensing (LHP)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
My winter moves

- Hope on Otani and if it costs Darvish to get him, go get both guys
- If you miss on Otani and Darvish still doesn't want to come here, go after Alex Cobb
- Sign Tyson Ross to a show me deal
- Resign Rene Rivera
- Sign Jarrod Dyson as your new Jon Jay/4th OF
- Sign Juan Nicasio, and Addison Reed to the bullpen; sign Jesse Chavez as a swing guy; resign Duensing
- Sign Derek Holland for a camp deal and see if he can be a swing/utility lefty in the pen
- Save money for Bryce Harper in 2019

2018 25 man roster
C - Contreras, Rivera
IF - Bryant, Rizzo, LaStella, Russell, Baez
OF - Heyward, Dyson, Schwarber, Almora
UTL - Happ, Zobrist

v LHP
Almora - CF
Happ - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Russell - SS
Zobrist - RF
Baez - 2B

vs RHP
Dyson/Happ - CF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Scwharber - LF
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
Zobrist/Baez/Happ/Lastella - 2B

SP - Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Cobb, Tseng
RP - Reed, Edwards, Strop, Nicasio, Chavez, Montgomery (LHP), Duensing (LHP)
What's wrong with Jon Jay, he is the only player on the team with any plate discipline and half a brain

Rivera? Why do we need 3 catchers?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'd have to think that if a player gets traded from the ML roster, it'd be Almora. He performed well in the playoffs and plays a position of need for many teams. .

Theo said Almora will play a bigger role next year

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
That's old news from years past. Theo said the opposite in his presser yesterday.

Not really, it was said this summer. And he didn't say he would trade anyone. He said the same thing he says every offseason, that he never eliminates possibilities.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez is being traded for the 4th year now.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
What's wrong with Jon Jay, he is the only player on the team with any plate discipline and half a brain

Rivera? Why do we need 3 catchers?

Jon Jay had a solid year that I'm not taking away from him but Dyson solves a slightly bigger need as a late inning defensive replacement (Dyson is one of the better defensive outfielders) as well as a late inning SB guy (Dyson was 28-35 on SB this year) to sacrifice a little bit in terms of the OBP. I think Dyson costs less and I think he fills a bigger need.

With regards to the catcher, I assume you mean Caratini as the other catcher and he's still a year away in my book from being a regular. Let him catch another 1000 innings in Iowa this year, use him as the third catcher in case of injury, and go from there. But Rivera makes sense as a backup as he's strong defensively and he can kind of hit bad lefties and righties so you can find a spot to get him in there for Willson where as many other catchers would want to go to a situation with more regular playing time. You're probably only giving Contreras 20-30 days off throughout the year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jon Jay had a solid year that I'm not taking away from him but Dyson solves a slightly bigger need as a late inning defensive replacement (Dyson is one of the better defensive outfielders) as well as a late inning SB guy (Dyson was 28-35 on SB this year) to sacrifice a little bit in terms of the OBP. I think Dyson costs less and I think he fills a bigger need.

With regards to the catcher, I assume you mean Caratini as the other catcher and he's still a year away in my book from being a regular. Let him catch another 1000 innings in Iowa this year, use him as the third catcher in case of injury, and go from there. But Rivera makes sense as a backup as he's strong defensively and he can kind of hit bad lefties and righties so you can find a spot to get him in there for Willson where as many other catchers would want to go to a situation with more regular playing time. You're probably only giving Contreras 20-30 days off throughout the year.
I think he means the LHH catcher who came over in the Wilson trade, Avila. edit: And as I recall, his contract was up this year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think he means the LHH catcher who came over in the Wilson trade, Avila. edit: And as I recall, his contract was up this year.
Both Rivera and Avila are FA

They wont bring Rivera back cause he RH

Avila a possibility if price is right and Avila ok with being a back up..

I personally think theyll just go with SH Caratini who can also cover 1B LF RF..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
RH starter Alex Cobb

Probably a 99% chance he a cubs target if Hickey does join the cubs staff..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Both Rivera and Avila are FA

They wont bring Rivera back cause he RH

Avila a possibility if price is right and Avila ok with being a back up..

I personally think theyll just go with SH Caratini who can also cover 1B LF RF..

They’ll go with Caratini and sign a defense first veteran to a minor league deal.