My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I am not here to defend Mallee, specifically, but the Cubs were one of the highest scoring teams for the year, and the #1 scoring team since the break. And you call for his firing due to the postseason?
No, based on their entire year. This team has zero plate discipline, only 2 players can even bunt, and virtually no one can go to the opposite field. When faced with a shift, they still try to pull outside pitches. The hitting coach has sone cupablity for that. I have even read that opposing scouts laugh at the Cubs poor plate discipline

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not here to defend Mallee, specifically, but the Cubs were one of the highest scoring teams for the year, and the #1 scoring team since the break. And you call for his firing due to the postseason?

It was certainly bad in the playoffs, but they seemed to be gassed as much as anything. They faced Strasburg twice, Scherzer once as starter, Kershaw twice, Darvish once, Alex Wood once....same thing is happening to both Houston and NYY. Top two scoring teams scored a total, between them, of 12 in the first two games.

(But I do wish they had kept Mueller)

That is a bogus, misleading assessment. The Cubs scored 822 runs but 451 of them came in 39 games which is an avg of over 11 per game. In the other 123 games, they averaged just slightly over 3 which would be dead last in all of MLB. I've questioned Malle since 2015...I'm still questioning him. They continue to try to pull most every pitch, they continue to hit into the shift when even a poor bunt would get you on base....I'm guessing Malle assumes he has a team full of Ted Williams. I mean Williams was the only guy I know of who continued to have success hitting into a shift. Mallee would be the first guy I'd launch.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You have to be careful jacking with players and their approach. Castro hit .300 this year and had the highest OPS of his career.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You have to be careful jacking with players and their approach. Castro hit .300 this year and had the highest OPS of his career.
Which is why sometimes it better to change players then to change the player...

Outside Contreras Rizzo Russell Bryant
I could see player changes in lineup..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sounds like someone "jacked with his approach". =)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That fine..
I hope Archer right behind him

That is what I was thinking. But he hey are targeting pitching in the early rounds now and they are going to need a coach that has experience molding young arms.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hasn't hit that well since first two years with Cubs. It's likely he's being left alone to be himself.

Don't follow the Yankees much, so that's a very real possibility....if they make the WS, I might have a look and see if he's changed anything. I know a lot of people here disliked him but I've always been kind of a fan of his. In particular how he handled being moved to 2B here.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
That is a bogus, misleading assessment. The Cubs scored 822 runs but 451 of them came in 39 games which is an avg of over 11 per game. In the other 123 games, they averaged just slightly over 3 which would be dead last in all of MLB. I've questioned Malle since 2015...I'm still questioning him. They continue to try to pull most every pitch, they continue to hit into the shift when even a poor bunt would get you on base....I'm guessing Malle assumes he has a team full of Ted Williams. I mean Williams was the only guy I know of who continued to have success hitting into a shift. Mallee would be the first guy I'd launch.

The Astros, who led baseball in runs,

- In 37 games they averaged 11 runs a game, scoring 407 of their runs
- In the other 125 games, they averaged 3.9 runs and scored 489 of their runs

Of course when you take out the team does well and average that out, they do really bad.

Fuck christ is that a stupid argument.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Sounds like someone "jacked with his approach". =)

Or Castro had an usually high BABIP (.347) compared to the rest of his career (.317) and when you see his slash line this year v career, it's entirely explain away by the BABIP increase

coming in to this year

.280/.300/.408
v this year
.300/.338/.454

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That is what I was thinking. But he hey are targeting pitching in the early rounds now and they are going to need a coach that has experience molding young arms.
That would be more for minor league system then..

What young arms in system now outside of Mills/Tseng do you actually see cracking the rotation in the next year or 2 for him to mold at major league level...

DanTown

Liked Posts:

What young arms in system now outside of Mills/Tseng do you actually see cracking the rotation in the next year or 2 for him to mold at major league level...

Could be late 2018 if they have strong development
Azolay (though he has struggled to develop a legitimate third pitch so he might be closer as a bullpen arm)
Hatch

2019 with a year of strong development + year of natural development
Lange
Rucker
de la Cruz

And of course, with three arms locked in between then, you really are just looking for a solid arm in FA and then filling in the back of the rotation with a 5th starter type like Tseng or hoping someone like (but maybe not specifically) Mills or Butler.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Alozay was in AA and is getting BP inning in the AFL.

AA should be stacked. I see a real battle going on at that level and some guys who were highly regarded pushed aside.

At the ML Edwards and Maples. PC affects young pen arms also.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Could be late 2018 if they have strong development
Azolay (though he has struggled to develop a legitimate third pitch so he might be closer as a bullpen arm)
Hatch

2019 with a year of strong development + year of natural development
Lange
Rucker
de la Cruz

And of course, with three arms locked in between then, you really are just looking for a solid arm in FA and then filling in the back of the rotation with a 5th starter type like Tseng or hoping someone like (but maybe not specifically) Mills or Butler.
I get they have a couple good young arms but again who spot in rotation will they take?

Lester Hendricks Quintana and whoever they add as TOR type starter this off season will all be under team control for at least next 3 years...

I just dont see Epstein during this window of being WS contenders turning to young unproven arms that need to be "molded" in his rotation outside maybe one as a 5th starter..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Don't sleep on Albertos. If he pitches well he could very well be up mid season in 2019. If he pitches as well as he did in A- presumably starting in A next year(10.90 k/9 3.63 bb/9) he'll likely move to A+ midseason. And assuming that all goes well for him he could start 2019 in AA. If he pitches well in AA he could be someone they look to give them a spark around the 2019 midseason though he probably makes more sense as a pen arm than a full on starter.

De La Cruz also wouldn't shock me to see in the majors in 2 years if he ever stays healthy. He was already at A+. And Hatch, Lange and maybe Little are likely guys who are quick to the majors. The pitching is coming faster than you'd expect.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Alozay was in AA and is getting BP inning in the AFL.

AA should be stacked. I see a real battle going on at that level and some guys who were highly regarded pushed aside.

At the ML Edwards and Maples. PC affects young pen arms also.
And that all fantastic but as i asked above..

2018 2019 2020

They will have
Lester Hendricks Quintana and whoever they add this offseason under contract..

So again i just dont see the need of adding a PC squarely just because he good at molding young arms right now.

Again not saying Hickey wont be offered but i just think if he is it would be more for his history with Maddon more then anything else..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You guys are giving me all these young guns names to make rotation and i agree they have a couple of kids that could be there but my question is..

Who spot over the next 3 years are they taking?

Lester Hendricks Quintana and whoever they add as TOR type starter this off season..

It not like they bring in Hickey and he going to be working with these kids while their in minors over the next couple years..

Outside of 1 of these kids getting the 5th spot in rotation and maybe 1 or 2 in the bullpen..
He not going to be working with these kids and molding them..

He going to be working mostly with guys on the major league roster..

He not going to have the opportunity like Mallee had with Bryant Schwarber Russell Contreras etc. to teach and mold them..

Whoever gets the PC job will be dealing with mostly veterans on his staff, not young raw kids

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
No, based on their entire year. This team has zero plate discipline, only 2 players can even bunt, and virtually no one can go to the opposite field. When faced with a shift, they still try to pull outside pitches. The hitting coach has sone cupablity for that. I have even read that opposing scouts laugh at the Cubs poor plate discipline

Last year they were known for their plate discipline. They can turn it around. Don’t hold your breath on the bunting though. These guys are not small ball proponents.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You guys are giving me all these young guns names to make rotation and i agree they have a couple of kids that could be there but my question is..

Who spot over the next 3 years are they taking?

Lester Hendricks Quintana and whoever they add as TOR type starter this off season..

It not like they bring in Hickey and he going to be working with these kids while their in minors over the next couple years..

Outside of 1 of these kids getting the 5th spot in rotation and maybe 1 or 2 in the bullpen..
He not going to be working with these kids and molding them..

He going to be working mostly with guys on the major league roster..

He not going to have the opportunity like Mallee had with Bryant Schwarber Russell Contreras etc. to teach and mold them..

Whoever gets the PC job will be dealing with mostly veterans on his staff, not young raw kids

I personally believe it is reuniting Joe/Jim more than anything. After that Tseng should be on the team and Maples could be thrust into late inning duty with his SO stuff. Edwards is another that will need maturing and mastering throwing strikes.

On the rotation if they are targeting Archer then getting PC makes plenty of sense.

On the future: Tseng should be it this year. Alzolay shoukd be AA-AAA and a year out. He has MOR stuff. So it brings options looking ahead.

I believe that the future will take care of itself. Guys that deserve roles will take them over. Hendricks and Arrieta ran with it and others will also. Keep the pipe moving and have a guy installed that has a history of taking young talent and turning them into assets.

Bosio served well as taking reclamation projects and getting turn around value. That is not the current phase.