Chris Bosio

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hickey is also drawing serious interest from the Cubs, according to Sahadev Sharma of The Athletic (subscription required and recommended). He’d take over for Chris Bosio, whom the Cubs fired Saturday, and would reunite in Chicago with former Rays manager Joe Maddon. Letting go of Bosio may have been a front office-driven move, posits Sharma, who notes that president of baseball operations Theo Epsein was particularly disappointed in the bullpen’s last-ranked walk rate in 2017. The struggles of midseason acquisition Justin Wilson, who was terrific out of Detroit’s bullpen but undependable as part of Chicago’s, likely helped lead to Bosio’s ouster, Sharma suggests. Across 17 2/3 innings with the Cubs, Wilson walked 19 (compared to 16 in 40 1/3 innings as a Tiger) and logged a 5.09 ERA. Consequently, he appeared in only one of the Cubs’ 10 playoff games.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That is a bogus, misleading assessment. The Cubs scored 822 runs but 451 of them came in 39 games which is an avg of over 11 per game. In the other 123 games, they averaged just slightly over 3 which would be dead last in all of MLB. I've questioned Malle since 2015...I'm still questioning him. They continue to try to pull most every pitch, they continue to hit into the shift when even a poor bunt would get you on base....I'm guessing Malle assumes he has a team full of Ted Williams. I mean Williams was the only guy I know of who continued to have success hitting into a shift. Mallee would be the first guy I'd launch.

Wait. I cited actual average and you called it bogus, and demonstrated that their average was lower when you throw out their best games?

Wouldn't other teams' per game averages also drop if you took away their highest scoring games?

Good grief.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Lester Hendricks Quintana and whoever they add as TOR type starter this off season.

You're assuming they plan to add a TOR pitcher this offseason. I'm not sure that's a guarantee for a couple of reasons. For one thing the 2019 FA class is substantially better. For another, the cubs have a lot of pitching needs this year not just starters. They very well could do what they did when they signed Lackey. Find a vet who is too old to get 3-4 years and who the market may have undervalued and sign him for $15-16 mil

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
No, based on their entire year. This team has zero plate discipline, only 2 players can even bunt, and virtually no one can go to the opposite field. When faced with a shift, they still try to pull outside pitches. The hitting coach has sone cupablity for that. I have even read that opposing scouts laugh at the Cubs poor plate discipline

Says the guy who has a documented history of making up quotes from opposing scouts.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You're assuming they plan to add a TOR pitcher this offseason. I'm not sure that's a guarantee for a couple of reasons. For one thing the 2019 FA class is substantially better. For another, the cubs have a lot of pitching needs this year not just starters. They very well could do what they did when they signed Lackey. Find a vet who is too old to get 3-4 years and who the market may have undervalued and sign him for $15-16 mil
Im 99% positive their going to deal away at least one of their top bats for a SP.. not necessarily an Ace but someone that could be a TOR type..

As far as the Big FA next year, im still on the fench for Harper being that guy over a SP..

I just feel Epstein/Hoyer would prefer to add a Cobb like starter and deal for Archer or someone like him over paying big in money and years for a 30 or over 30 FA SP..

Just dreaming here but that would actually be a heck of a rotation if they pulled that off..

Lester
Archer
Hendricks
Quintana
Cobb

I also now see Alex Cobb a possible signing if Hickey does come over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Im 99% positive their going to deal away at least one of their top bats for a SP.. not necessarily an Ace but someone that could be a TOR type..

As far as the Big FA next year, im still on the fench for Harper being that guy over a SP..

I just feel Epstein/Hoyer would prefer to add a Cobb like starter and deal for Archer or someone like him over paying big in money and years for a 30 or over 30 FA SP..

Just dreaming here but that would actually be a heck of a rotation if they pulled that off..

Lester
Archer
Hendricks
Quintana
Cobb

I also now see Alex Cobb a possible signing if Hickey does come over

I actually think that rotation will happen although I’m in the minority.

I could do without Cobb though, too much money for what will be your 5. He’s expected to get 5/$100 mil

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I actually think that rotation will happen although I’m in the minority.

I could do without Cobb though, too much money for what will be your 5. He’s expected to get 5/$100 mil
I heard 4/60

15 per still high for a 5 but Quintana no guarentee to return after next year as 2019 and 2020 are options..

He may fall in as a 5th starter next year but doesn't mean that where he'll be at end of deal..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I want to see them get agressive with Archer. Cobb as a back up but not both

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But the vibe feels like the pen is the big reason why they fired Bosio. Leading the league in walks falls on the PC.

Now they need to resign or replace Davis and Arrieta.

If you give up major league talent you view it as SP> Closer

They have Maples and Tseng but you need a vet to be the anchor.

They haven’t given up on Wilson. They made Bosio take the hit as a whole.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I heard 4/60

15 per still high for a 5 but Quintana no guarentee to return after next year as 2019 and 2020 are options..

He may fall in as a 5th starter next year but doesn't mean that where he'll be at end of deal..

Quintana is one of the most consistant pitchers in the game I doubt they don’t bank on picking up those options unless he falls off the map. Those option years amount to 2/$21 mil. Where do you think they’ll get a pitcher of his caliber at that price?

No way Cobb gets 4/$60 btw. Tyler Clippard might get close to that.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
There simply are not enough high value guys to anchor a deal for a pitcher as valuable and talented and team controlled as Archer.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There simply are not enough high value guys to anchor a deal for a pitcher as valuable and talented and team controlled as Archer.

You might be right, I think there’s a chance. We’ll all see. The winter meetings are going to be entertaining as hell.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If you want a slap hitter then draft & develop or sign one.

Now most good hitters start to drive to opp. To get out of a slump then start to pull after out of it. That bit comes down to plate approach.

All a coach will do is do video and point out mechanical flaws and then tinker in season to right the ship. But most over hauls have do be done off season. And honestly that is up to higher power personnel if they do that or trade for it.

I dont agree with this, some one needs to tell them to hit the ball the other way, dont try to kill everything.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Quintana is one of the most consistant pitchers in the game I doubt they don’t bank on picking up those options unless he falls off the map. Those option years amount to 2/$21 mil. Where do you think they’ll get a pitcher of his caliber at that price?

No way Cobb gets 4/$60 btw. Tyler Clippard might get close to that.
No doubt theyll pick them up..
They dont trade Jiminez for just 2 years of Quintana..

All im saying is just because in year 1of deal he could be the 4th or 5th starter to take the mound, doesnt mean by year 4 or 5 of that deal he'll still be there..

Also

I get the top end and bottom end of rotation difference but for me..

You got 2 quality studs on top , im happy with 3 very good starters to follow..
I dont think a 4 or 5 should be just average at best because of how you pay them etc...

If you can get a starting 5 at a reasonable total price for a rotation
Why not do it..

Look at how the cubs started the year..

Lester Hendricks Arrieta made for a good top end..

Then Lackey Anderson

Lackey at end of career struggled out of the gate..
Anderson sucked

So they basically had 2 guys at bottom that were basically automatic losses for them first month or so..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Throwing this out there..

Im sure it Hickey job if he wants it but if not i wouldnt mind seeing Sutcliffe get a shot at it..

He the one responsible for Arrieta turn around in 2nd half..
I think hed be good for the job

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Javy is valued about at 1/2 Archer’s WAR value. He was about 100 PA under 600 so to expect anything over 2.5 right now as a full time is a reach. Archer is 4-5 WAR value.

So you are going to need 2+ WAR incoming with Javy and that really depends on what TB would want

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Thing is that Theo said they have talent on the major league roster to trade.

They might need to choose between Javy and russell. I dont know how bad that domestic abuse deal with Russell sits with the management.

We are all assuming Happ is here to take Zobrists spot, except all outfield spots not just a corner, but Zobrist is here next year, full no trade. Maybe they could ask, but I doubt it.

That leaves Schwarber, Almora, and either of Javy or Russell. I just cannot see Javy or Russell going or Theo's very first first round pick in Amora, so I really dont know what the deal will be. Will they think they are out of the Bryant sweepstakes in 4 years and make that deal? I doubt it. That leaves Schwarber and Q as the only major league talent I can see them dealing.

I would mention Wilson, but I dont think there will be much interest and Rondon, Grimm, Montgomery not much value. I would think Hendricks is as untouchable as Rizzo and Bryant right now, as well as Lester.

All you see are guys you dont want to lose, since they are all cheap and under control. I see any deal with this core will be seen as panic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thing is that Theo said they have talent on the major league roster to trade.

They might need to choose between Javy and russell. I dont know how bad that domestic abuse deal with Russell sits with the management.

We are all assuming Happ is here to take Zobrists spot, except all outfield spots not just a corner, but Zobrist is here next year, full no trade. Maybe they could ask, but I doubt it.

That leaves Schwarber, Almora, and either of Javy or Russell. I just cannot see Javy or Russell going or Theo's very first first round pick in Amora, so I really dont know what the deal will be. Will they think they are out of the Bryant sweepstakes in 4 years and make that deal? I doubt it. That leaves Schwarber and Q as the only major league talent I can see them dealing.

I would mention Wilson, but I dont think there will be much interest and Rondon, Grimm, Montgomery not much value. I would think Hendricks is as untouchable as Rizzo and Bryant right now, as well as Lester.

All you see are guys you dont want to lose, since they are all cheap and under control. I see any deal with this core will be seen as panic.

Russel: 8.2 combined WAR over 1505 PA
Baez: 4.6 at 1267 PA.

It is really not a tough decision. Baez would have to put up a 6 WAR season next year to get into Russell's value right now.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Russel: 8.2 combined WAR over 1505 PA
Baez: 4.6 at 1267 PA.

It is really not a tough decision. Baez would have to put up a 6 WAR season next year to get into Russell's value right now.
I get the WAR stuff and all but not all trades are matched by WARS, especially when young talented guys with less then 3 yrs are being considered.. they have lots of upside

When you look at the Cubs main core on the field, the one guy that they can move without missing him is Schwarber (2016) and he the one guy a team like TB would take (along with a pitching prospect or 2) for Archer..

Right now this is what i see if they move Schwarber..

C. Contreras
1B. Rizzo
2B. Baez
SS. Russell
3B. Bryant
LF. Open/Happ
CF. Open/Almora
RF. Heyward

Keep the IF defense and solid young core..

You got Heyward glove in RF and another year of hoping he finds the bat..

They can go with Happ and or Almora, or look for someone else that improves the lineup

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is not even 1/2 the value it would take to trade for Archer.

I see it as it would cost Baez and Schwarber to get Archer. That is what their values are right now. What their potential value is is pointless to argue because anything could happen over their career. They could take off. They could bust out. They could be injured. So you have to go with known history and team control. That is it.