2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Thank god!!!!!!! I blame him for much of the Cubs plate discipline issues

Funny that maddon said last week there wouldnt be any coaching changes

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I see it as there could be some player changes too...
Might see a couple new hitters lineup and pitchers in rotation/bullpen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Coaches always get blamed for player failures. That said, I am sure John will land on his feet somewhere. He's pretty big into the Zepp hitting device.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm a little surprised by Mallee, but not much. He was brought in because he believes in the same approach as Theo and Jed so in that way it's a surprise but the guys didn't look to be following that approach last year. Chili Davis comes from the same mindset. Sometimes you need the same message from a new messenger.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Coaches always get blamed for player failures. That said, I am sure John will land on his feet somewhere. He's pretty big into the Zepp hitting device.

Mallee oversees the 3rd, 1st, 2nd ranked offenses in the NL 2015-2017, gets canned for "player failures." What a business. I guess you could hang the lack of development by Baez/Russell/Schwarber on him, but it's hard to tell whether that's coaching or just skill ceiling. I guess we know what the brass think.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Mallee oversees the 3rd, 1st, 2nd ranked offenses in the NL 2015-2017, gets canned for "player failures." What a business. I guess you could hang the lack of development by Baez/Russell/Schwarber on him, but it's hard to tell whether that's coaching or just skill ceiling. I guess we know what the brass think.

Kind of telling that Andy Hines, who was credited with much of Schwarber's second half turnaround, is now the assistant hitting coach.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Personally, I don't think any of them hit their ceiling.

Russell is not a .240 hitter. Schwarber is better than a .200 hitter. Teach Baez to go the other way and he's a superstar. OK, that last one is like teaching a fish to walk. But I stand by the first two statements.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I'm not sure that Heyward not really improving enough didn't seal the deal, but I am thinking TC has this right. The players just need a different voice and a fresh outlook with essentially the same message.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Personally, I don't think any of them hit their ceiling.

Russell is not a .240 hitter. Schwarber is better than a .200 hitter. Teach Baez to go the other way and he's a superstar. OK, that last one is like teaching a fish to walk. But I stand by the first two statements.

Baez' biggest problem isn't that he doesn't go the other way, it's his lack of recognition of the offspeed pitch low & away. If he ever learns to lay off consistently, pitchers will be forced to deal with him in the zone.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I know my limitations as an evaluator and it’s implementing or fixing something that is wrong. I can watch a guy plus read statcast data and find where he might be deficient but there’s no way I can watch a guy and suggest what he should do. To me, I get it but I find it humorous when someone suggests a hitter should do X to improve.

Like right now Kyle Schwarber has an issue with pitches in the zone and down/in but I couldn’t tell you how he should correct it. Should he move away from the plate and give up the outer third? Should he shorten the swing? Should he slow the swing down though the zone? Couldn’t tell you. If I felt qualified enough to do that, i’d try to get paid writing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Hard to put all of this on Malle but I think it's worth noting both he and Davis were hired around the same time and Boston over the past 2 years has hit .283/.369/.478 with RISP(#2 in mlb). Cubs are 4th worst hitting .252/.351/.420. Whether or not it's "fair" to Davis, I think it's a solid move. Really like the way many of Boston's young hitters came around. Outside of maybe Rizzo I feel like all of the cubs hitters have flaws you can attack. Bryant is still pretty bad in high leverage situations. Most of the rest of the guys have obvious issues. Boston also had the 4th lowest K rate during his tenure which would be nice if he could fix some of the cubs issues there.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
"Chili Davis is...."

Hired?
Under consideration?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So if the team doesn't make the Playoffs this year (2018), is Maddon next?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Kind of telling that Andy Hines, who was credited with much of Schwarber's second half turnaround, is now the assistant hitting coach.

do you even question why he is not THE hitting coach?

Kind of reminds me of the hawks with Q losing a coach over the failures of the team and firing his buddy assistant coach. But Madden got his buddy in Hickey from Tampa so eventually it evens out.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
do you even question why he is not THE hitting coach?

Kind of reminds me of the hawks with Q losing a coach over the failures of the team and firing his buddy assistant coach. But Madden got his buddy in Hickey from Tampa so eventually it evens out.

No I really don't. Hines has never been a hitting coach in MLB so I get why he's an assistant. Chili Davis has a track record and could be seen as an upgrade to Mallee.