adam shaheen - bad pick

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, but if Shaneen isn't going to be "ready to play" until 2018 the pick fucking sucks. Especially with Ju Ju Smith Schuster on the board. Trubiski doesn't need a project, he needs an NFL Weapon and now. Shaneen is buried on the depth chart over Daniel Brown

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ury-touchdown-10-thoughts-20171030-story.html
3. The injury to Miller in the third quarter pressed Daniel Brown into action and he wound up with one reception for 9 yards. Brown wound up getting 17 snaps the remainder of the way, including the failed two-point conversion in the fourth quarter and plays wiped out by penalty. I thought Brown was in position to challenge Miller for a roster spot when the offseason program began. I thought so because Brown made a nice little debut for the Bears last season after being claimed off waivers from the Ravens. I thought so because we knew Miller is injury prone and figured there was a chance the Bears would opt to move a veteran out of the way in order to create playing time for a younger player. I proved to be wrong and in retrospect, it made sense to keep Miller. The Bears are offensively challenged and he was unquestionably the team’s best red zone target in the passing game.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I think Shaheen has the athletic tools to be good in this league. I'm not sure he was a value pick where taken but we won't know that for another year or two. I do think Brown is a better player at this exact point in time and he should see more playing time. I liked him last year too.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Starting to look that way.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It’s sucks to know JU-JU was still on the board but at he same time did anybody really know the kid would be this good at 20yrs old?

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
I think Shaheen has the athletic tools to be good in this league. I'm not sure he was a value pick where taken but we won't know that for another year or too. I do think Brown is a better player at this exact point in time and he should see more playing time. I liked him last year too.

That's the problem, maybe he finally figures it out next year, or his third year. Great. But then you have to pick up his option and then decide to pay him. So you are limited on years of cheap control. You take these projects in the 4th round or so. You need close to immediate impact out of 1st/2nd round picks.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
He looks uncomfortable and lost on passing routes. Not sure what's going on, but it's suspect when a pick who is known as a pass catching tight end can't run routes.

I'm thinking he might be quickly moving to bust category. The coming weeks will be extremely telling, especially with Dion Simms continued struggles as a receiver.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
He needs to learn how to use his size and weight.
Getting pushed by a defender half his size...
He should be able to catch at the one and push his way through just by his size alone.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was Shaheen even on the active roster?

With Miller your primary receiving TE threat, and Shaheens blocking issues, its possible Brown was the preferred emergency TE in that game. Miller out probably changes that order, makes them both active but concedes time to the passing threat, Shaheen.

Washington

Liked Posts:
That's the problem, maybe he finally figures it out next year, or his third year. Great. But then you have to pick up his option and then decide to pay him. So you are limited on years of cheap control. You take these projects in the 4th round or so. You need close to immediate impact out of 1st/2nd round picks.

I totally agree that unless the pick is a QB, you should expect immediate impact from a 1st and 2nd. I actually feel the same about a 3rd too.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I didn’t expect much from him with a big contract to Simms and Miller being healthy. Now there is no excuses let’s see what he can contribute

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Was Shaheen even on the active roster?

With Miller your primary receiving TE threat, and Shaheens blocking issues, its possible Brown was the preferred emergency TE in that game. Miller out probably changes that order, makes them both active but concedes time to the passing threat, Shaheen.

Shaheen has been a productive blocker so far. Really his only contribution.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Let's see what goes down in the 2nd half of the season before we call him a bad pick. If he can step up and contribute that'll make me feel a lot better. I just want to see him get real targets.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I always said Shaheen was a luxury pick that the Bears could not afford to make, ESPECIALLY given that they paid Sims a good contract (even if he kinda sucks).

We’ll see the second half of the season.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

That’s debatable. He’s gotten blown up on goal line by safeties this year. I’d say his blocking has been below average.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
O.J. Howard couldn't beat out his veteran either, and he is a freak. TE requires the skills and knowledge of O-line as well as WR.

We need to put this calamity on the slow burner for another 18-24 months.

Its possible he develops into a starting NFL TE right around the time Trubisky understands the NFL enough to really appreciate one.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
O.J. Howard couldn't beat out his veteran either, and he is a freak. TE requires the skills and knowledge of O-line as well as WR.

We need to put this calamity on the slow burner for another 18-24 months.

Its possible he develops into a starting NFL TE right around the time Trubisky understands the NFL enough to really appreciate one.

Mitch needs weapons NOW....not 18-24 months from now.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are a few players that I would like to see in the context of a better offense, and shaheen is one of them. Tough to get comfortable as a third/fourth TE in a bad offense, especially when you needed work to begin with.

From a team building perspective, I sure would have liked someone with that pick that could be helping more this year, and I have to believe with hindsight, Pace would not have taken a project there.

With all that being said, it's too early to be talking bust. I doubt he is the Dan Bazuin of TEs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It’s sucks to know JU-JU was still on the board but at he same time did anybody really know the kid would be this good at 20yrs old?

he's looked good...but he's opposite AB and he has LB in the backfield.
Opens up a lot of room on his side of the field.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

That’s debatable. He’s gotten blown up on goal line by safeties this year. I’d say his blocking has been below average.

And that's the thing: the line on him coming out was that he was a solid route-runner and had excellent hands, but couldn't block for shit (because he was never really asked to). It seems as though the coaching staff has designated his game-day role to be a 3rd tackle, thus attempting to develop his blocking through experience. Whether or not that is the right move is questionable, but I don't think there can be any doubt that is what they're attempting.