1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Article on ESPN..
Aramis Ramirez, Derrek Lee dragging down Chicago Cubs offense - ESPN

ubs manager Lou Piniella knows that the sled moves more efficiently when the lead dog drags all the others along for the ride. That sports bromide has a literal application on the route from Anchorage to Nome, and a figurative one at the corner of Clark and Addison.

"When your No. 1 starter is pitching well, it really helps the whole rotation," Piniella said. "When your closer is pitching well, it helps your bullpen. And when the middle part of your lineup is functioning, it helps the rest of the lineup. Everybody relaxes a little more. I don't have an answer why, but it's always been that way."

Continued on ESPN.com..

What do you guys think?

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
I was reading somewhere that apparently D-Lee and A-Ram were the only two guys that had refused to make any changes with Jaramillo. They kept saying that what they've been doing over their careers has worked so why change anything. Well maybe them seeing guys like Soriano, Soto and Fontenot improve so much on last year has put extra pressure on them?

I mean it should work the other way round but who knows? I'm sure they'll both start to hit better and Derrek has already started hitting better. Just give them time I guess.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I was reading somewhere that apparently D-Lee and A-Ram were the only two guys that had refused to make any changes with Jaramillo. They kept saying that what they've been doing over their careers has worked so why change anything. Well maybe them seeing guys like Soriano, Soto and Fontenot improve so much on last year has put extra pressure on them?

I mean it should work the other way round but who knows? I'm sure they'll both start to hit better and Derrek has already started hitting better. Just give them time I guess.

That could be it.

Idk what it is with these guys. Hopefully they will turn it around.

Just think, with all these other guys hitting well, if we had Aram and DLee hitting we would be in a better position.

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
That could be it.

Idk what it is with these guys. Hopefully they will turn it around.

Just think, with all these other guys hitting well, if we had Aram and DLee hitting we would be in a better position.

Well they are vets, they'll turn it around, it's just a matter of time IMO.

I guess you can say that a lot of the time though, very rarely do you have the whole lineup hitting well together. You always seem to have 1/2 guys in a funk, that's when you need the other guys to sort of carry them through it. But definitely with those two guys it would put us in a much better position seeing as they're our main RBI guys. But we mustn't overlook other problems with the club, the bullpen has lost us several games that we should have won regardless of hitting.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
The big thing is they refuse to let anyone help them. I realize along with everyone else that they are veterans and they are pro but if they're gonna refuse help then Lou needs to step in and do his job. They are not the only problems but they are big problems. People are getting the hits but no one is driving them in which has been the problem all year. Lou said his patience is running thin in an article on cubs.com but it should have run out 2 weeks ago. We are nearing the end of May and things are just getting worse.

zwentland

Liked Posts:
D-Lee will step up eventually. He already has made some improvement. But having the best hitting coach in the league might help those two find their swing again faster. Aramis has been an extremely big disappointment. I think Aramis could have hit better when his shoulder was dislocated. The guys need to work hard. For example, look at Geo. He put in so much work and he's improved more than anyone could have imagined.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I've been sating all along: look at our lineup, now add a non-slumping Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez, looks pretty good.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
Just like every other veteran that has consistently hit over their careers,they will eventually start hitting.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will start hitting but if they would have just hit even a little better this team might be 3 games over 500 not 3 games under...

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just like every other veteran that has consistently hit over their careers,they will eventually start hitting.

i have to agree here....

considering their past seasons i would expect them to pick it up

alot of players slump in the spring and then really pick it up in late june on

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I also agree....they will hit eventually

JCM

CCS Mod
Liked Posts:
they are the reason why are offense has been stunking.

but as there career numbers go, they will eventually get it going.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Let's hope it's sooner rather than later!

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I would expect Lee and Ramirez to pick it up as well, but even then I don't think this team wins the division or makes the playoffs. And how long do the Cubs keep going with this Lee/Ramirez core that has gotten the Cubs zero playoff wins in the 6, almost 7 years they been together?

If the Cubs don't do anything this year they need to blow it up imo. I know they're stuck with Soriano's deal (and he's played great) but let Lee walk, dump Fukudome, try to move Zambrano. I just don't have much faith in this team because it's the same team, at it's core, that has failed already. I just don't see that changing.