Cubs Claim Cory Mazzoni

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He's 28 so not exactly young. Looks like he may have a history of injuries too. But he's got a rather absurd k/bb rate. A 3 ratio is generally quite good there(like 9 k/9 to 3 bb/9 would be an ace level pitcher). In the minors he had a 3.88 bb/9 ratio(9.0 k/9 to 2.3 bb/9 over 366.0 IP). I'm guessing here that the Padres have moved him to the bullpen. But he does have starter level stuff. Interesting arm nonetheless.

Edit: forgot to mention he was a 2nd round pick from the mets in 2011. Here's a few comments from mlb.com's prospect stuff

2012 #15
The Mets moved Mazzoni into a starting role in 2012, after using him in relief during his pro debut. He hasn’t fared as well as a starter, struggling with command and striking out fewer batters. The North Carolina State product has an excellent fastball, a curve and a splitter. He throws strikes, maintains velocity deep into starts and has a pretty clean delivery. The Mets know, though, that if starting doesn’t work out, it looks like he could move very quickly as a power-armed reliever. The Mets have continued to challenge him, promoting him to Double-A Binghamton in mid-June.

2013 #12
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 6/6 | Slider: 4/5 | Splitter: 4/5 | Control: 5/6 | Overall: 4/5
The North Carolina State product is already on the fast track, reaching Double-A in his first full season of pro ball. While he might have a somewhat limited ceiling, the right-hander does have the chance to have three at-least-average pitches with above-average control. It starts with his above-average fastball that has good life to it. His secondary pitches both grade out as future average, with a late-breaking slider and a splitter he uses as his offspeed pitch. While he faded down the stretch, he did show the ability to dominate at the Double-A level, giving hope that he may not be too far from being big-league ready, either as a mid-range starter or a very effective reliever if his secondary offerings don't improve.

2014 #14
Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Splitter: 45 | Control: 55 | Overall: 45
Mazzoni started his professional career quickly, reaching Double-A Binghamton in his first full season. His ceiling is somewhat limited, but his advanced feel for pitching and three-pitch arsenal make him a solid prospect.

Mazzoni throws his fastball in the low-90s, with good movement. He throws a splitter in lieu of a changeup, and his slider has good late break to it. Mazzoni will need to be a little more consistent with his secondary stuff, but both pitches have the potential to be average offerings.

Mazzoni missed the first few months of the 2014 season due to a right lat strain, but he quickly got back up to speed once he returned to action. Though New York still sees him as a starter, his power stuff would play up in the bullpen. Mazzoni is nearly ready for a chance to contribute in either role in the Major Leagues.

2015 #15(in pads system now)
Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Splitter: 45 | Control: 55 | Overall: 45
Mazzoni looked like he might race to the Mets rotation after signing as a second-round pick from North Carolina State in 2012, but knee and lat issues slowed his progress the next two seasons. New York dealt him and lefty prospect Brad Wieck to the Padres for Alex Torres at the end of spring training this year.

Primarily a starter with the Mets, Mazzoni became a full-time reliever upon joining his new organization. He took to his new role and made his big league debut less than a month after the trade, though command woes led him to getting rocked in his first three separate stints with San Diego.

As is the case with most pitchers, Mazzoni saw his stuff tick up when he came out of the bullpen. He now sits at 92-95 mph and touches 97 with his fastball, and his slider is harder and sharper. He also uses a splitter as a third pitch.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So far these are not chasing anyone from the 40 man roster right? The 8 free agents are off right?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So far these are not chasing anyone from the 40 man roster right? The 8 free agents are off right?

Yeah. Think they have 36 guys on the 40 man. Might be 34. Something like that. Chances are they are going to sign a few players later and try to sneak a couple of these guys through waivers closer to the rule 5.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think the arm talent is potentially there and you're just hoping on injuries. Obviously worth the risk for the back end of the rotation/middle relief.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the arm talent is potentially there and you're just hoping on injuries. Obviously worth the risk for the back end of the rotation/middle relief.

Only thing that would irk me is if they lose a quality
Player via rule V over him

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Only thing that would irk me is if they lose a quality
Player via rule V over him

Doubtful. Their 40 man isn't filled right now and generally speaking you'll see teams try to sneak guys through waivers around the rule 5 draft. And there's not that many guys you really need to protect

From cubs reporter
GROUP 2 (Eligible for selection in 2017 Rule 5 Draft):
LIKELY TO BE ADDED TO 40 BY 11/20:
1. Adbert Alzolay (link is external), RHSP
2. Oscar de la Cruz (link is external), RHSP
3. David Bote (link is external), INF (is playing for Mesa Solar Sox in AFL)
"ON THE BUBBLE" TO BE ADDED TO 40 BY 11/20:
4. Jake Stinnett (link is external), RHRP (is playing for Mesa Solar Sox in AFL)
5. Chesny Young (link is external), IF-OF
6. Trevor Clifton (link is external), RHSP
7. Jose Paulino (link is external), LHSP
8. Erling Moreno (link is external), RHSP
9. Charcer Burks (link is external), OF (is playing for Mesa Solar Sox in AFL)
10. Jason Vosler (link is external), INF (is playing for Mesa Solar Sox in AFL)
11. Pedro Araujo (link is external), RHRP (signed 2018 minor league successor contract - is playing for Mesa Solar Sox in AFL)
UNLIKELY TO BE ADDED TO 40 BUT COULD RECEIVE RULE 5 DRAFT CONSIDERATION:
12. Brad Markey (link is external), RHRP
13. Bijan Rademacher (link is external), OF
14. Justin Hancock (link is external), RHRP (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
15. Daury Torrez (link is external), RHRP (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
16. Zach Hedges (link is external), RHSP
17. Ryan McNeil (link is external), RHRP
18. Stephen Perakslis (link is external), RHRP
19. James Pugliese (link is external), RHRP (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
20. Corey Black (link is external), RHRP (February 2017 TJS)
21. Jose Rosario (link is external), RHRP (signed 2018 minor league contract after being released in September)
22. Ryan Williams (link is external), RHSP (June 2017 right shoulder/torn rotator cuff)
23. David Garner (link is external), RHRP
24. James Norwood (link is external), RHRP
25. Chris Nunn (link is external), LHP (second-contract player - signed 2018 minor league contract)
26. Yasiel Balaguert (link is external), 1B-OF
27. Chris Pieters (link is external), OF-1B (ex-LHP)
28. Tyler Alamo (link is external), C-1B
29. Ali Solis (link is external), C (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
30. Stephen Bruno (link is external), INF
31. Gioskar Amaya (link is external), INF (February 2017 knee surgery - signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
32. Jeffrey Baez (link is external), OF (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
33. Carlos Penalver (link is external), INF (signed 2018 minor league successor contract)
34 Erick Castillo (link is external), C

Cubs currently sit at 34 on their 40 man. Alzolay and De La Cruz are locks. Think 3-6 guys are likely considerations. Burks, Vosler and Araujo are the only other guys I'd consider. Moreno and Paulino both finished disappointing seasons in A ball and are pretty young to be selected in the rule 5. You generally aren't tanking a 20 year old and keeping them in the majors to pitch out of your pen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Doubtful. Their 40 man isn't filled right now and generally speaking you'll see teams try to sneak guys through waivers around the rule 5 draft. And there's not that many guys you really need to protect

From cubs reporter

Cubs currently sit at 34 on their 40 man. Alzolay and De La Cruz are locks. Think 3-6 guys are likely considerations. Burks, Vosler and Araujo are the only other guys I'd consider. Moreno and Paulino both finished disappointing seasons in A ball and are pretty young to be selected in the rule 5. You generally aren't tanking a 20 year old and keeping them in the majors to pitch out of your pen.

Stinnett

Young also. He is plug and play right now

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Stinnett

Young also. He is plug and play right now

Wouldn't really say that on Young. He hit .256/.311/.311 in a hitter friendly PCL. I think he gets consideration which is why I said 3-6 likely get consideration. But even if you ignore the very meh AAA statline he has basically 0 power. He's a worse version of La Stella. The fact they chose to play bote in the AFL also suggests he's in strong consideration.

Either way, it's unlikely that anyone they lose is much of anything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't really say that on Young. He hit .256/.311/.311 in a hitter friendly PCL. I think he gets consideration which is why I said 3-6 likely get consideration. But even if you ignore the very meh AAA statline he has basically 0 power. He's a worse version of La Stella. The fact they chose to play bote in the AFL also suggests he's in strong consideration.

Either way, it's unlikely that anyone they lose is much of anything.

I don't make much of Bote. His production was in a nice light air situation. v At Tenn last year I liked Rice (low BA but nice OBA/SLG) and Vosler(real unappreciated player .241/.343/.429). Burks to a lesser degree. (low SLG for a LF) For a 2B he wasn't bad .272/.353/.438 but Young put up a .308/.376/.387 there in 2016. So better contact but Bote has more HR power. 4 to 14 goes far at AA.

I see it as Young ran into AAAA pitching. That is it and for the most part he was what he was. Over challenged by more established players. That is it. AA is still a growing league. AAA is a swamp. You get 10 year minor league players trying to pick up a gig via injury all of the time and they have faced major league hitters much less a new bushleague player.

That is the way I look at it with most of these kids coming up. If they go to AAA and wreck shop then they are major league talent. If they struggle then it casts doubt. But gauging a guy in the struggle vs a guy not there yet and not a ranked talent and putting up juiced numbers in the launching zone league really doesn't excite me. Honestly the much of anything is pretty accurate.

I look at Young as a guy that did struggle but added versatility on the field. That told me that he can play 3B/2B/SS/LF/RF/CF He has the glove for all. The bat is lite and the arm is sub par but he can field all spots. That is what I took out of him. He lets Joe be Joe if Joe has to lose a player that lets him be Joe.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was honestly thinking of a bench like:

Caratini C can do 1B if needed
Young. pretty much anywhere you need.
LaStella: 3B for the most part.

It is really hard to push out a starting 8 for Joe. But for the most part it would be Zo at 2B and Russell at SS. Almora as the primary CF and Baez and Happ playing flex. If they lose no one and go with 12 they are better with LaStella. If they trade 1 then Young adds to flex. LaStella is more limited on the field.